Cant decide between iPhone or Thunderbolt

Dmitri#AC

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
I have both an iphone4 and a thunderbolt, and I definitely prefer the thunderbolt. The thunderbolt is a more difficult phone to use than the iphone, but most of the difficulty is derived from it's massive customability. That being said, once you get settled and figure everything out on the thunderbolt, it actually tends to be much simpler for day-to-day use than the iphone. For example: to use an app on my thunderbolt, I click on the associated folder widget on my homescreen, then click on one of the apps within; whereas, on my iphone I have to search through pages of apps.

It may be because I'm new to both app stores, but I've never run into the problem of "I want that app on android, but it's only available on ios." In fact, I usually run into the problem of it being free on android, and costing money on ios. The thunderbolt has an 8-megapixel camera, while the iphone 4 has a 5-megapixel camera (although to me, image quality looks pretty much the same). I've also noticed apple's better quality of screen is combated by the thunderbolt's sheer size of screen, and I usually find myself doing anything image intensive on the thunderbolt, when I initially thought it would be the other way around.

In the end, which phone is better is up to you. Do you want a phone you know you're going to have to mess around with before it gets good battery life and is usable day-to-day, or do you want a phone that starts off usable day-to-day, but never allows you to do anything more with it?

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Get a TB and a tablet.

I have an iPad for Skype, Netflix, and all the other crap that I wouldn't want to use on a phone anyhow.

TB = fast phone, email, and 4G data.

That's kind of what I'm going for. I want an Android phone and an iPad for things I don't really want to do with my phone. I love the customization of Android and like having that in my pocket, but I don't think I need it for a tablet, and would do just fine with the plain-ness of iOS on the iPad.

dmcman73

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Just an FYI and something to think about since everyone keeps mentioning the iPhone "5": Because of what's happening in Japan I wouldn't be surprised if the the next iPhone (4G, 5 whatever the name) is delayed to market or if there was a production run before all the factories shut down if there will be very limited numbers of phones to sell.

akira751

Dec 24, 2010
Visit site
I have both an iphone4 and a thunderbolt, and I definitely prefer the thunderbolt. The thunderbolt is a more difficult phone to use than the iphone, but most of the difficulty is derived from it's massive customability. That being said, once you get settled and figure everything out on the thunderbolt, it actually tends to be much simpler for day-to-day use than the iphone. For example: to use an app on my thunderbolt, I click on the associated folder widget on my homescreen, then click on one of the apps within; whereas, on my iphone I have to search through pages of apps.

It may be because I'm new to both app stores, but I've never run into the problem of "I want that app on android, but it's only available on ios." In fact, I usually run into the problem of it being free on android, and costing money on ios. The thunderbolt has an 8-megapixel camera, while the iphone 4 has a 5-megapixel camera (although to me, image quality looks pretty much the same). I've also noticed apple's better quality of screen is combated by the thunderbolt's sheer size of screen, and I usually find myself doing anything image intensive on the thunderbolt, when I initially thought it would be the other way around.

In the end, which phone is better is up to you. Do you want a phone you know you're going to have to mess around with before it gets good battery life and is usable day-to-day, or do you want a phone that starts off usable day-to-day, but never allows you to do anything more with it?

Great write up:)

Chrisy

Banned
Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I played with my cousins iPhone for a bit and felt like a solid phone. Beautiful display. I didnt like how it was set up though.

The screen was small and the keyboard cramped.

Does the iPhone browser have flash? The internet experience didn't seem as good as the tbolt either.

Treknologist

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
I played with my cousins iPhone for a bit and felt like a solid phone. Beautiful display. I didnt like how it was set up though.

The screen was small and the keyboard cramped.

Does the iPhone browser have flash? The internet experience didn't seem as good as the tbolt either.

The iPhone is well built, so it is no surprise you felt it was a solid phone when you held it. You did hit the nail on the head when you said it is small and cramped...as that is the case when compared to phones like the TBolt.

Insofar as Flash content on the iPhone, nope it doesnt' have it and it never will based on Apple's current policy against Adobe. Don't see that changing anytime soon. And yes, it does affect the internet experience as it is "incomplete." The argument is that things will move to HTML5 but, you know what, the TBolt will do it all.

jjcasillas15

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
I'd go with the TB. I wanted an iphone but once I got an Android there is now way I'd go to something else. Just the homescreens with the widgets is enough. And think about what you can do once you root your phone. Custom ROMs, different kernels, radios, and themes. The fact that you have options and can customize how you want.
I have the Samsung Fascinate. A good phone but sucks due to the fact that Samsung doesnt support there phones with upgrades. I rooted and "pimped" my phone out and I can say I love it now! Its beyond what I imagined.

lpt2569

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
I have a stock Fascinate, and I like it better than the iPhone and the TB as well, it is perfect for me and what I want from a mobile device. But I can see what different people would love about each device. The HTC TB is a beast, and looks/feels/works like a beast from the very limited time I have spent with it. I have had an iPod and iTunes since they first came out, and love the simplicity of the device/software synchronization. But I like to tinker and customize to my liking, so Android is where it's at for me now, if I have to pick a single device to carry with me.

isai90

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
I had an iphone for a week before the thunderbolt came out. It's a great phone if you just want everything to work out of the box. The screen and battery are amazing. I now have the thunderbolt and would not go back to IOS. Androids customization without root is just much better imo.Also I love the LED notifications.I don't live in a 4g area right now so that wasn't much of a deciding factor.

joeln

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
If you ONLY care about speed, then get the Thunderbolt. It's amazingly fast. The problem is when the speed only lasts for 4-5 hours between charges.

If want a phone that can record audio along with videos, a phone without bloatware, a phone that can last a full day on a charge and a phone without bugs that randomly unmounts your SD card (among other quirks), then, between the two, get an iPhone.

Full Disclosure: After 13 days, I returned my Thunderbolt and went back to my original Moto Droid... trying to be patient while I await a stock android device with high-end hardware on Verizon, but the Sprint Nexus S with full Google Voice integration is looking better by the day.

RetiredJedi

Jul 13, 2010
jedi-soljah.iwarp.com
...If want a phone that can record audio along with videos, a phone without bloatware, a phone that can last a full day on a charge and a phone without bugs that randomly unmounts your SD card (among other quirks),..

hmmm my phone does all of this except not having bloatware and it's a Thunderbolt. I recorded parts of the concert I went to and rewatch it every now and then, I charge my phone in morning while I'm at the gym and have 45% left when I go to bed, havne't had any "bugs", and nothing ever comes up about my SD card (oh and don't have any quirks but a lot of perks).

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance