3g radio turns off during screen timeout?

corn4ahead

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I am trying to use the mobile hotspot, however, every time i let my screen go black, i dont get any connection. Then when i reactivate the screen. Its says in my notifications that "3g mobile hotspot active". So how can i fix this so it stays on while using hotspot.

Last edited:

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I am trying to use the mobile hotspot, however, every time i let my screen go black, i do get any connection. Then when i reactivate the screen. Its says in my notifications that "3g mobile hotspot active". So how can i fix this so it stays on while using hotspot.
In my opinion, this is not a Mobile Hotspot issue. IOW, I think you are losing the data connection regardless of the Mobile Hotspot. It's just that without using the Mobile Hotspot you wouldn't know it because your screen is blank. :)

I'd try turning 4G off and see how that goes.

*#*#4636#*#* | Scroll down to Preferred Network type and change to: CDMA auto (PRL) | Return arrow to back all the way out.

Try again.

-Frank

corn4ahead

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
In my opinion, this is not a Mobile Hotspot issue. IOW, I think you are losing the data connection regardless of the Mobile Hotspot. It's just that without using the Mobile Hotspot you wouldn't know it because your screen is blank. :)

I'd try turning 4G off and see how that goes.

*#*#4636#*#* | Scroll down to Preferred Network type and change to: CDMA auto (PRL) | Return arrow to back all the way out.

Try again.

-Frank

I mean i have data connection. It shows full bars just not 3g symbol. And im in a 3g only area right now so what would turning 4g off do?

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I mean i have data connection. It shows full bars just not 3g symbol. And im in a 3g only area right now so what would turning 4g off do?
That means you do not have a data connection. The phone gets confused when it is trying to find a non-existent 4G connection and sometimes loses all data because of this confusion.

-Frank

anonymous239411

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
Yep what Shel1955 said that should do the trick. I wonder if keeping the always-on mobile data really does use more power or does keeping it off use more power, being it has to re-cycle, search, and reconnect again. Anyone know about that?

johnnyshinta

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
i'm not sure if its just a fluke but i have terrible signal in my office. when i went outside it wouldn't get 3g signal just 1x. after turning airplane mode off and on it worked again

vitomins

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
I am getting emails, but market does not work and internet does not work...what the heck??

Changed the network setting in the *#*#4636#*#* menu and it didn't help....

steve0617

Oct 31, 2010
Visit site
I have been having problems too of the 3g just dying. Change to the old vzw 3g rather than the voice/data new one.

Go here and do this: http://forums.androidcentral.com/ve...lems-3g-data-don-t-hard-reset-read-first.html

I did that and now no more 3g problems at all. Course I can't talk and surf the data at the same time anymore.

The first suggestion is to turn off the 4g and revert back to the default of the 'new' 3g data service.

My suggestion changes which 3g network you access.

I have the 'new 3g' always off and toggle the Auto PRL first suggestion when I want 4g data.

Two different steps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coehlcke