39% to 6% in 1 restart

LinxuSx

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
This is not normal. Phone was at 36% before the restart and then at 6% after. Using das bamf 1.4.

Discuss?

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
I've noticed sometimes the battery meter doesnt show battery loss, so you think you still ahve a certain amount b ut you actually don't.

Plus, there is a certain amount (usually about 6 percent) that you lose by rebooting, so this would be added on top of what didnt show as dissipated battery, if the above was the case.

CBMC

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Seems like quite a few people are having this problem. Unfortunately, I don't have an answer, just letting you know that for some reason the battery meter is lagging behind...so no, you are not using all that on the restart. If you restart, then restart again immediately, you will see that your battery won't drop much (if at all) on the second reboot.

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
my battery meter gets unresponsive randomly. its happened about 7 times since i got the tbolt a day or two after release. when i notice it happening, i restart the phone until it stops happening, which takes more battery than i would like to expend, however it drives me crazy to see the percentage not dropping the way its supposed to.

Cant offer ya any solution tho, i'm just hoping it gets corrected somehow in the future.

tekhna

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
I've noticed restarts taking off 10-15%, which makes me wonder if the restart cycle itself is consuming monstrous amounts of power, or if the battery gauge is way off.

anon(149276)

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I've got the extended battery and I've seen close to a double digit loss after restarting. Unfortunately I was plugged in and still losing juice so I didn't have much of an option...Man this phone loves to suck down power. I've got an extended battery, two external batteries and still manage to get down to 10% by the end of the night. I think we need a software fix here soon

KoukiFC3S

Oct 9, 2009
Visit site
Seems like quite a few people are having this problem. Unfortunately, I don't have an answer, just letting you know that for some reason the battery meter is lagging behind...so no, you are not using all that on the restart. If you restart, then restart again immediately, you will see that your battery won't drop much (if at all) on the second reboot.

I dunno, just today my phone restarted by itself twice (darn you rogue app!), and I went from 58% to 40% to 28%..

theGman911

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I think I have equated it to this being part of it anyway:

You know how we all reduced the screen brightness to just visible settings to increase battery life? So we all know the screen is a battery drinker.... So, when restarting, especially if you have done this in the dark, have you noticed how BRIGHT that white screen is before switching to the "HTC quietly brilliant" screen (which I'd much dimmer btw)?

I think that bright screen (which is displayed for a while) in and of itself can eat some battery coupled with the boot animation coupled with the battery reading being a couple percent off from actual.... Bam goodbye 6%.

Why they didn't do this with a black boot screen I have no idea. Black would eat nothing to display.

Last edited:

Buzzy42

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I think I have equated it to this being part of it anyway:

You know how we all reduced the screen brightness to just visible settings to reduce battery life? So we all know the screen is a battery drinker.... So, when restarting, especially if you have done this in the dark, have you noticed how BRIGHT that white screen is before switching to the "HTC quietly brilliant" screen (which I'd much dimmer btw)?

I think that bright screen (which is displayed for a while) in and of itself can eat some battery coupled with the boot animation coupled with the battery reading being a couple percent off from actual.... Bam goodbye 6%.

Why they didn't do this with a black boot screen I have no idea. Black would eat nothing to display.

I've been thinking the same thing, that stupid boot sequence is custom made to drain battery... bright screen, LOUD sounds (it seems totally random to me, sometimes it's so loud it scares me when I turn it on and walk away and forget what's coming, sometimes I can't hear it at all, and I leave the phone around the same media volume all the time!), long boot process... it's cute the first time or two, after that it's just annoying.

It'd be nice to at least have a "Low power boot" option that'd turn off all that. Even if it made the screen just say "VERIZON OWNS YOU" I'd be fine with that if it was quiet, low backlight, and just went away when it was done.

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
How long have you had the extended battery? (is it conditioned?)
10 or 15 % drop with an ext battery seems like waay to much to lose

thedeceiver

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Have we ascertained how the battery gauge works on the TB? For example, in Hybrid vehicles, when you look at your battery gauge you are seeing the ESTIMATED amount of the battery remaining because the car does not test the battery constantly to get an idea of the charge. The car essentially analyzes how much electricity has been used and calculates what's remaining based on the last direct measurement.

Its possible that the TB measures in the same way. Calculates the percentage remaining based on the last measurement and it's estimated usage. However, when the battery becomes low, it may test more frequently to ensure users are getting a more accurate view of the battery.

I normally notice a LONG.. SLOW Descent to 25%. However, once I get there, I'm empty in less than an hour of no usage. This would also seem to fit my theory.

I'm no electrical engineer though... it's just a hypothesis.

theGman911

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Have we ascertained how the battery gauge works on the TB? For example, in Hybrid vehicles, when you look at your battery gauge you are seeing the ESTIMATED amount of the battery remaining because the car does not test the battery constantly to get an idea of the charge. The car essentially analyzes how much electricity has been used and calculates what's remaining based on the last direct measurement.

Its possible that the TB measures in the same way. Calculates the percentage remaining based on the last measurement and it's estimated usage. However, when the battery becomes low, it may test more frequently to ensure users are getting a more accurate view of the battery.

I normally notice a LONG.. SLOW Descent to 25%. However, once I get there, I'm empty in less than an hour of no usage. This would also seem to fit my theory.

I'm no electrical engineer though... it's just a hypothesis.

As far as I know the battery IS polled. That's why some poorly written battery widgets actually kill the battery faster.

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
this is a KNOWN issue.. and is being addressed by HTC.

rad

also like nate44 said, you can try to recalibrate the battery with battery calibration app. if you flash roms often they can leave fake/unrelated battery stats behind. i haven't tried it on tbolt yet tho bc i'm not sure how they will play together.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1