Speaker phone echo madness! Please Help

lovy

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
Hello All,

was anyone able to resolve the speakerphone echo problem without having to return their phones? when I place calls on speaker the noise the other party hear is ridiculous, I never hear it but it annoys whoever I place on speaker. Any Ideas as to what i should do?

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I've not seen this issue and I do use the speakerphone a fair amount. Any chance you are "testing" this in close proximity to the other phone?

-Frank

lovy

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
I've not seen this issue and I do use the speakerphone a fair amount. Any chance you are "testing" this in close proximity to the other phone?

-Frank
Hey Frank,

I was away from other phone when testing, I spoke to HTC and the rep stated that I should take back to Best Buy because I am within Best Buy's policy of 30 bring back, I called BB and confirmed it, they stated as long as not over 30 days they will give me a new phone I just hope the new one is not a dud :(

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
I spent about an hour on the phone with Verizon today about this issue. I got the TB about a week ago and replaced the phone with a new one yesterday because of this speakerphone issue.

However, my replacement TB is doing the same exact thing. I put 3 different techs on speakerphone today when I was on the phone with VZW and they all agreed it was horrible. The tech confirmed that his supervisor's TB at VZW was doing the same thing, but other TBs on their shelf were NOT doing it. So there are some phones with that problem, and some without.

But I discovered it only does this when the speakerphone volume is between 0% and 50%. When I turn the volume up on my end, the echo on their end goes away. However, they are really freakin loud on my end, which is why I normally have calls turned down below 50%. With my two phones I have tried, and with their phone at VZW, the LOWER the speakerphone volume on my phone, the WORSE the echo. If I turn the speakerphone volume on up my TB, the echo on the other party's phone goes away. So VZW has now confirmed this issue.

But I am anxious to hear if some other TB users can test this by turning their speaker volume down to see if an echo appears.

Should I try my luck with a third TB??? Suggestions??

Brian

Last edited:

lovy

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
I spent about an hour on the phone with Verizon today about this issue. I got the TB about a week ago and replaced the phone with a new one yesterday because of this speakerphone issue.

However, my replacement TB is doing the same exact thing. I put 3 different techs on speakerphone today when I was on the phone with VZW and they all agreed it was horrible. The tech confirmed that his supervisor's TB at VZW was doing the same thing, but other TBs on their shelf were NOT doing it. So there are some phones with that problem, and some without.

But I discovered it only does this when the speakerphone volume is between 0% and 50%. When I turn the volume up on my end, the echo on their end goes away. However, they are really freakin loud on my end, which is why I normally have calls turned down below 50%. With my two phones I have tried, and with their phone at VZW, the LOWER the speakerphone volume on my phone, the WORSE the echo. If I turn the speakerphone volume on up my TB, the echo on the other party's phone goes away. So VZW has now confirmed this issue.

But I am anxious to hear if some other TB users can test this by turning their speaker volume down to see if an echo appears.

Should I try my luck with a third TB??? Suggestions??

Brian
Yes, Because I returned my phone and now it's flawless speakers are amazing, I would keep trying until they get it right. Don't settle for bad speakers, That's just my personal opinion.

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
Yes, Because I returned my phone and now it's flawless speakers are amazing, I would keep trying until they get it right. Don't settle for bad speakers, That's just my personal opinion.

Maybe I'll try a different story. Maybe it's a bad batch of phones at the location near me. I'll go to another corporate store tomorrow and hope that the "third time is a charm."

Let me ask this (but maybe it is better in another thread).... is your regular ear piece (not speakerphone) extremely loud? Even when my callers are turned all the way down, I almost have to hold the phone away from my ear because it is so loud. And people sitting about 2-3 feet away from me can clearly hear and UNDERSTAND our conversation. Is this normal for the TB?

Brian

lovy

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
Maybe I'll try a different story. Maybe it's a bad batch of phones at the location near me. I'll go to another corporate store tomorrow and hope that the "third time is a charm."

Let me ask this (but maybe it is better in another thread).... is your regular ear piece (not speakerphone) extremely loud? Even when my callers are turned all the way down, I almost have to hold the phone away from my ear because it is so loud. And people sitting about 2-3 feet away from me can clearly hear and UNDERSTAND our conversation. Is this normal for the TB?

Brian
There is a thread here somewhere talking about just that. Type loud speakers in search. Hope this helps. And good luck with return:)

Komodod

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
Wife was the only one complaining. Just ran official test between her iphone and my tb. Oddly found out that at Low Vol it is real bad...50% Vol is mild and at 75% or higher Vol, it goes away completely. I had been instinctively lowering the volume to try and help....but its just the opposite. Maybe it will improve with future update? So far....has not been a major issue here.

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
I had been instinctively lowering the volume to try and help....but its just the opposite.

This is precisely what I discovered today while on the phone with VZW. When I was talking with my fiance on the phone, I would always lower the speaker when she started complaining about the echo. Come to find out, when I have the volume below 50%, the echo is much WORSE. Above 75%ish, the echo goes away on her end, but she is way too loud on the speaker.

VZW noted my account and I will be getting my third TB tomorrow. The guy I was just working with on the phone recommend I go to a different store in case there is a bad batch at the original store I got them from.

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
Well, the 3rd time is NOT the charm for me.

I picked up my second replacement (3rd phone) in 5 days this morning. It is definitely worse than the first 2 phones I had. I am going to another store this afternoon to try number 4 hoping they have a different batch of them. I'm hoping I was just having bad luck with that batch of phones the store had.

So, does anyone know how I can tell if it is, in fact, a different batch without actually activating the phone? It will be at a different corporate store, so hopefully it will be a different shipment?!

At what point should I bet getting frustrated with VZW. Of course I'm frustrated that I've had to replace my phone 4 times now. At least with phone 3 I didn't spend HOURS customizing them. But that is half of my frustration. I am half way through my 14 day return policy with this awesome phone... but I haven't been able to enjoy a single day of using the phone yet. Instead I've been dealing with this issue.

With that being said, I enjoy being on the VZW network -- but would you guys be complaining to them? Should I ask for some kind of compensation, whether it be an extra 14 days return policy or some kind of credit for all of the inconvenience?

Brian

lovy

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
Well, the 3rd time is NOT the charm for me.

I picked up my second replacement (3rd phone) in 5 days this morning. It is definitely worse than the first 2 phones I had. I am going to another store this afternoon to try number 4 hoping they have a different batch of them. I'm hoping I was just having bad luck with that batch of phones the store had.

So, does anyone know how I can tell if it is, in fact, a different batch without actually activating the phone? It will be at a different corporate store, so hopefully it will be a different shipment?!

At what point should I bet getting frustrated with VZW. Of course I'm frustrated that I've had to replace my phone 4 times now. At least with phone 3 I didn't spend HOURS customizing them. But that is half of my frustration. I am half way through my 14 day return policy with this awesome phone... but I haven't been able to enjoy a single day of using the phone yet. Instead I've been dealing with this issue.

With that being said, I enjoy being on the VZW network -- but would you guys be complaining to them? Should I ask for some kind of compensation, whether it be an extra 14 days return policy or some kind of credit for all of the inconvenience?

Brian
Hi Brian,

If you keep getting a bad phone of course IMHO I would ask for some type of compensation or at least an explanation as to why this is happening and if any updates will be pushed to the phone to fix this problem. I know how frustrated this can be and hope it gets better for you.:)

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
I hate to say it, but unfortunately, my 4th Thunderbolt is doing the same exact thing. This one was from a different corporate store. They also replaced the 4G SIM card this time as well. So it was a new phone, new battery, and new SIM card. It's still got a horrible echo.

In my phone call tomorrow to Verizon I think I'm going to ask for -- at the very minimum -- some kind of credit for my past 6 days of stress with these 4 phones. If I decide to keep the phone, I'll also want to extend my 14 day guarantee since for the first 6 days now, I haven't had time to play with the phone and customize it. And if I decide to switch phones, I'm sure not going to pay a restocking fee.

Sorry for complaining... but I just want to enjoy my Thunderbolt!!

Brian

lovy

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
I hate to say it, but unfortunately, my 4th Thunderbolt is doing the same exact thing. This one was from a different corporate store. They also replaced the 4G SIM card this time as well. So it was a new phone, new battery, and new SIM card. It's still got a horrible echo.

In my phone call tomorrow to Verizon I think I'm going to ask for -- at the very minimum -- some kind of credit for my past 6 days of stress with these 4 phones. If I decide to keep the phone, I'll also want to extend my 14 day guarantee since for the first 6 days now, I haven't had time to play with the phone and customize it. And if I decide to switch phones, I'm sure not going to pay a restocking fee.

Sorry for complaining... but I just want to enjoy my Thunderbolt!!

Brian
No need to say sorry, I understand your frustrations, make sure you ask them if this will be fixed with an update. Because it's ridiculous to go through 4 phones and all of them have the same issues. Good luck with your phone call tomorrow :)

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
I'm curious about your PRL version. Mine is 15011 and at least one other device with that PRL is having the echo issue. The person at tech support has the TB and her PRL was 15008 and it was not having an echo.

Anyone? Full disclosure: I don't know what PRL is or means, but that was the only number that was different between our two phones.

Brian

lovy

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
That's interesting mine is 15008 and I think my old one was 15011 I have to dig up some old threads to make sure.

HiPower

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
I have PRL 15008 with the echo problem. I have only used the speakerphone with two of my friends and the problem only occurs with one of them. One person on the HTC forum posted that the problem is with the other persons listening volume is too loud. I tried their solution yesterday and had my friend reduce their earpiece volume. The problem went away. I'm still inclined to believe its an error in the Tbolt software.

lovy

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
I have PRL 15008 with the echo problem. I have only used the speakerphone with two of my friends and the problem only occurs with one of them. One person on the HTC forum posted that the problem is with the other persons listening volume is too loud. I tried their solution yesterday and had my friend reduce their earpiece volume. The problem went away. I'm still inclined to believe its an error in the Tbolt software.
Hello Hipower,

That's strange because I had the problem with everyone I spoke to even if they turned their volume down. But the replacement phone has no issues at all.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FarajWala800