GPS issues: Known Issue...?

Is your TB having GPS/Location issues?

• Total voters

anon(2632)

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site
I called VZW about my GPS issue that is really beginning to bug me. They said it is a Known issue and there is no estimate on how long it will take to fix it. The rep told me she would note my account but there was really nothing else that i can do.

I guess i have gotten so used to everything working as intended that i take it for granted. But, i can't use half the stuff i am used to using on my phone.

My weather/clock isn't right so i can't rely on my alarm unless i go in and disable the GPS.
I can't "check in" on facebook... I know it sounds dumb, but my friends and i try to meet up at lunch every day and can't always call or text each other, so the first one to get to go, just checks in on fb that way we know where to meet up. - or -
We use Google Latitude, which OBVIOUSLY isn't working since the GPS is out.

Movies app - Yes, i can still use it, but when the family wants to go out, we all look at the movies and trailers and decide on a movie, then we like to look around to see which theaters it is playing at and what are the movie times. Well, that doesn't work without location.

Of course, navigation is out... Not that i have gone anywhere that i need to map, but i would have to drag out the old Tom Tom on which all my maps are out of date, or the old standby of printing out the directions or pulling out my maps (I am SO BAD at reading maps)

Shop Savvy: Uses location to search local stores and online for the best price of stuff when you are shopping by scanning the barcode. I use the ALOT! Just saved $50 bucks each on 2 ipods with this app at best buy because of their price match. Now, it won't work because it has no location.

Setting Profiles: Auto switches my ringtones/vibrate and other stuff based on time and location. I used this paid app on my eris and now on my TB. I rely on this so my phone ringer volume decreases when i am at work and goes up when i leave. I don't want to get in trouble for my phone ringing LOUDLY in a meeting, but the app is useless pretty much now.

So my question is how widespread is the Location/GPS issue? If you are having the issue, please comment on what issues it is causing you with the functionality of how you "would" be using the phone.

anon(2632)

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site
Download GPS Status from the Market. Use it's tools to reset your gps. I have not had a problem since doing this.

I have done gps status, gps fix, gps tools, factory reset twice. My GPS worked great until 3 days ago. It would even lock indoors and i could watch it track from one end of my house to the other.

It is definately an issue since i went in store and their TB was showing the exact same location as mine. We are in northeast texas and it is showing us in galapagos island/pacific ocean. VZW said it was a Known issue.

xeon711

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Mine works fine. Takes a good minute to get a good GPS lock while indoors (near a window though) in Google Maps though.

cadzilla74

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
I have done gps status, gps fix, gps tools, factory reset twice. My GPS worked great until 3 days ago. It would even lock indoors and i could watch it track from one end of my house to the other.

It is definately an issue since i went in store and their TB was showing the exact same location as mine. We are in northeast texas and it is showing us in galapagos island/pacific ocean. VZW said it was a Known issue.

Weird. I'm in DFW area and haven't had any issues to speak of. I have GPS Status installed and have used it exactly once when I thought 30 seconds was too long to acquire an aGPS signal indoors. It fixed the problem instantly. I'm sure Big Red has sporadic issues all over the place, I just haven't run into them yet.

anon(2632)

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site
I was told that it could be because they are merging the towers in my area. I don't really know because it seems strange that tower issues can completely lock out Gps. I thought it was a seperate radio.

anon(2632)

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site
Thanks, I tried this also, but it doesn't seem to work. It worked one night, then was gone the next day. No settings changed, no new Apps. I am just wondering if it is something that is going to be fixed with software updates, or do I need to ask for a replacement. Since verizon says it is a known issues, I figured it was useless to get another one if it has something to do with the towers in my area.

J-Dam

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
The first week i had the Thunderbolt it was showing me in Bosnia Herzegovina, when in reality i am in Upstate NY. Did it for about 2 days and straightened itself out. The only problem i have with it now is that when i am at home it shows my current location as just plain New York. Everyplace else i go it shows the correct location, and i mean everywhere. For the life of me i cannot figure that one out.

jfarinella

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Works great for me but it takes forever (2-3 minutes) to lock. This can be a pain if you are really looking for something while you are out and about.

anon(2632)

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site
Well, i just figured out it isn't just a TB issue with MY situation. Took a trip out to dinner with my family to a new restauraunt about 60 miles away.

3 Droid Xs, 1 TB, and 1 BB. None of which would get a gps lock at my house when we left. Halfway there, i tried again. With my GPS status & GPS test apps i was tracking 10+ sats with good lock. I could get intermittent location with gmaps, but wouldn't follow me. I tried one of the Xs and the same.
Tried gnav and the same issue, & none had weather updates. We met up at restaraunt and the other x and blackberry had the same issue.
So, i am guessing in our situation, the rep was right about it being a tower issues or a prl issue.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I had an issue the first week I had it. My location showed me about 300 miles east of my actual location. I picked up my Tbolt away from home (about 200 miles SE of my home). After I got back, my wifi router had an issue that required me to reinstall it's software. On it's own this wouldn't be an issue, but I have a Network Extender (NE) that runs off of the wifi network. I didn't know that was an issue at the time & spent a few hours talking with VZW tech support. I even asked the tech I talked to if my NE was an issue & he said no. So they sent me out a replacement.

While waiting for it to arrive I took a trip (about 30 miles away) & my gps locked instantly. Got back home, BAM, 300 miles east again.

A couple days later I got the replacement, & got back on with tech support. The new one had the same issue (this with a fresh phone, none of my apps on it, and only updating Google Maps). I again mentioned the NE & this tech seemed to think it was the issue. I disconnected power form the NE & instant lock. He then got an NE tech on the line, but they said their was no fix for it as the NE doesn't support Location Services (odd considering that it has a GPS antenna & needs a GPS lock to work). So I figured better call quality was more important than correct location at home (I know where I am) so I reconnected the NE and I still had a good GPS lock. Haven't lost it since either.

I think most of my issue had to do with having to reinstall the software for my wifi router, but who knows. If you have a NE and are having GPS issues, try disconnecting power for about 20 minutes , reconnect & see if that solves the problem.

AubreyPage

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
My GPS locks in less than a minute indoors not near a window. I live in a rural area. However If I am sitting near my computer, it will not lock and VZ Navigator will indicate no GPS. I assume RF Interference from the PC causes this. After that happens, sometimes I must reboot or power down/up to correct the issue. I have both VZW Location Services and Google Location Services checked but not Standalone GPS services. I turn on GPS with the Widget a few seconds before launching VZ Navigator or Google Maps.

Maybe that helps.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair