Data issues today; one time fluke, or...?

MRW1215

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
I've had my Thunderbolt for about two weeks, now, and I've had no problems maintaining a 4G connection. When I first got the phone, I did download that LTE OnOff app, and I frequently used it to switch down to 3G, to save battery life. Lately, though, I've just been leaving 4G on.

Today, though, when I powered on my phone, I couldn't get any more than a 1X data connection. I used the LTE OnOff app to switch from the 4G setting to the 3G setting (my intention was to switch it back to the 4G, in hopes it'd look again for the 4G signal), and I noticed that it went back up to 3G when I did this, but as soon as I switched back to the 4G setting, my data switched down to 1X again.

Which is odd, because I thought that, when it can't catch the 4G signal, it just defaults down to 3G, anyway. So why did it go all the way down to 1X, until I set it to 3G only in LTE OnOff?

Furthermore, is it likely this was just a fluke today, or should I be concerned, here? This may be a very dumb question, but does the weather outside have any impact on the signal? It's been VERY windy today, more so than it's been since I got my phone, so I was curious if maybe that's preventing it from catching the 4G signal.

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Furthermore, is it likely this was just a fluke today, or should I be concerned, here?
One little signal switch anomaly in two weeks? Definitely a fluke. The Thunderbolt is not the best at network switching. Let's face it, it has one more network to consider than any other phone on VZW right now. And... I know is will get better with up and coming updates. It is not just your unit, it's all of 'em. Depends primarily on the local tower capabilities and signal conditions. I, for example, live in a very hilly area in the Rock Mountains (Denver). I experience 4G ins/outs all the time. Someone in Florida wouldn't need as much switching. I mean, it's flat in Florida. But I still miss it :D I grew up there.

-Frank

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay