I never wanted them on my phone to begin with, but the VZ rep didn't deselect that when he first configed my phone. I turned off that link in People, but these 250 random contacts still show up in certain contact searches.

Can I get rid of them completely? Are they in a db file somehwere on the device?

Also, what is the step after I root and flash that I can avoid this initial sync?
    04-18-2011 12:00 PM
    If these are google contacts, they are stored in the cloud.

go to www.google.com/contacts and clean up your contact database. this will clean up the google contacts on your phone.
    04-18-2011 12:07 PM
    Go into Settings > Account & sync > click on the Google account you want to remove > unselect the Sync contacts for that account... I did this to remove all my Facebook contacts, which I did not want in my Contacts.

You can do the same thing when you are initially setting up your Google Account after rooting.
    04-18-2011 12:10 PM
    Go into Settings > Account & sync > click on the Google account you want to remove > unselect the Sync contacts for that account.
    Thanks, I did that at the VZ store, but the damage was already done.

@lategordon -- so Google pulls these from the cloud? Even with Sync Contacts off for that account?
    04-18-2011 01:30 PM
    unless you want to put your contacts in to your phone One at a time... that is the best method to use (google) I refuse to let VZW backup assist touch my phone are all you contacts actual contacts with phone numbers or were some of them ported over from yahoo, or facebook.... ya know, when you 'Synced' just a thought... If so I would recommend only using Facebook from the actual market and not the one that comes with sense...
    04-18-2011 01:36 PM
    unless you want to put your contacts in to your phone One at a time... that is the best method to use (google) I refuse to let VZW backup assist touch my phone are all you contacts actual contacts with phone numbers or were some of them ported over from yahoo, or facebook.... ya know, when you 'Synced' just a thought... If so I would recommend only using Facebook from the actual market and not the one that comes with sense...
    I pulled down with Backup Assistant after VZ guy de-synced my Google contacts, but it was too late. BA is one of the many bloats I'm ditching. I just want to ensure these Google contacts don't find their way back ont my phone.

I synced with Outlook for my BB, and I'm going to push them with HTC Sync after I root. The 10 or so contacst I've added in the last month, I've also added to my contacts in Outlook (very clean, in categories, etc.)
    04-18-2011 01:59 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD