Just noticed a New PRL on my Phone

alcoholics02

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
Hey Everyone,
I have read through the thread and tried pulling the SIM and battery but my PRL will not update. I am still on 13006. Anyone have any other ideas of how I can get this thing updated to the new PRL? I live in Tampa so I wonder if that is my local PRL????? not sure

RestlessDroid

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
Hey Everyone,
I have read through the thread and tried pulling the SIM and battery but my PRL will not update. I am still on 13006. Anyone have any other ideas of how I can get this thing updated to the new PRL? I live in Tampa so I wonder if that is my local PRL????? not sure

I think 13xxx is a hybrid PRL.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

adaorange

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
re:

It is a PRL (Preferred Roaming List) that is especially crafted for accounts that are on, or have recently transitioned from, another network carrier. The most common example is probably coming from Alltel.

-Frank

hmmm, that's not the case for me. I've been with verizon for several years now. (and i have a 13xxx number) West Michigan location.

psycho_maniac

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
Mine says PRL 1 ??? What does that mean?
lol did you ever activate your phone?
I'll tell you what when I first got the phone maaaan I thought I was going to break that damn back cover just trying to put the battery in. I was trying to be so gentle and careful and it wouldn't budge until I said FFFUUU and popped that sucker off in a fit of rage.

I've since learned to be more patient :)
its easy, you just put your nail, if you have one, on the top part where the little slit is then put your thumb on the bottom of the battery cover and pry. :)
I have 14002 also and I'm on an old Alltel plan. There has to be a way to update us to every one else's PRL. I've been going through this since day 1. Old Alltel customers who will not change calling plans because it would cost $30-$50 more a month should have the same info as everyone else.

im pretty sure us alltel customers will always get 14xxxx prl's didnt you ever check your prl on your older phones? we always got different prls. only way to update to the 15xxx series is get a vzw contract.

alcoholics02

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
im pretty sure us alltel customers will always get 14xxxx prl's didnt you ever check your prl on your older phones? we always got different prls. only way to update to the 15xxx series is get a vzw contract.[/QUOTE]

The only thing is I am on a Verizon Contract and have been for two years????

RestlessDroid

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
lol did you ever activate your phone?

its easy, you just put your nail, if you have one, on the top part where the little slit is then put your thumb on the bottom of the battery cover and pry. :)

im pretty sure us alltel customers will always get 14xxxx prl's didnt you ever check your prl on your older phones? we always got different prls. only way to update to the 15xxx series is get a vzw contract.

Why would your calling plan limit what your Verizon phone can do? I haven't been able to hit my network extender since getting the TB and it's because of my PRL and SID numbers. Verizon took us on and told us we didn't have to change plans and are now trying to force me to. That's BS. I pay Verizon every month, am therefore a Verizon customer and should be treated as such.

VideoEngineerAJS

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
The only thing is I am on a Verizon Contract and have been for two years????

Was your area previously under Alltel? If so, I think it has more to do with the towers than the plans/contract.

That would explain the 13, 14, and 15. 15 is original Verizon towers, 14 is Alltel only towers, and 13 is the hybrid of the two companies' towers.

Reactions: alcoholics02

alcoholics02

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
Was your area previously under Alltel? If so, I think it has more to do with the towers than the plans/contract.

That would explain the 13, 14, and 15. 15 is original Verizon towers, 14 is Alltel only towers, and 13 is the hybrid of the two companies' towers.

Yes, it was. It was a very big area for Alltel and I was on Alltel before Verizon. Had to get a new Verizon plan and phone. Good call

RestlessDroid

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site

My area was an Alltel area as well and I came over when Verizon bought Alltel out. I have four Android phones on my plan and haven't changed because there is no comparable Verizon plan. I just want to have an updated Verizon PRL so that I can hit the network extender and actually make a phone call from my home. So far I have been unsuccessful in getting an updated Verizon PRL.

flashpiti

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I see I got the new prl too and I'm in SE Michigan as well. I think it must have happened yesterday evening because I had my TB in forced 4G only mode and saw the 3G icon on my screen. Didn't think too much of it but my battery life seems to be better today and I have the new 11 PRL.

VideoEngineerAJS

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
My area was an Alltel area as well and I came over when Verizon bought Alltel out. I have four Android phones on my plan and haven't changed because there is no comparable Verizon plan. I just want to have an updated Verizon PRL so that I can hit the network extender and actually make a phone call from my home. So far I have been unsuccessful in getting an updated Verizon PRL.

I understand, but unless they can do something with the extender, I don't think you'll be able to get the Verizon PRL with a phone that has a sim card. The whole point of having the different PRLs is to allow the phone to connect to the nearest towers.

If all you have around you is Alltel towers, then the PRL won't change until Alltel is completely integrated with Verizon (i.e. towers are all seen as Verizon, not Verizon or Alltel). Even if you upgraded to a Verizon contract it wouldn't change anything as can be seen by alcoholics02 posts.

RestlessDroid

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
I understand, but unless they can do something with the extender, I don't think you'll be able to get the Verizon PRL with a phone that has a sim card. The whole point of having the different PRLs is to allow the phone to connect to the nearest towers.

If all you have around you is Alltel towers, then the PRL won't change until Alltel is completely integrated with Verizon (i.e. towers are all seen as Verizon, not Verizon or Alltel). Even if you upgraded to a Verizon contract it wouldn't change anything as can be seen by alcoholics02 posts.

I understand what you're saying but my mom and wife, who have 3G android phones, and live in three same place, have Verizon PRLs. Isn't it possible to update the PRL on the Thunderbolt?

broadwayblues

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site

Not too sure about that theory. I have the updated PRL and I have not left Alltel towers. The nearest true Verizon area is two hours north of here.

I was roaming using Alltel towers when I moved from Shreveport, La to Montgomery, La. When it switched over, I finally got 3G. To be honest, the 3G stops about 3 blocks up the road, and I use a zBoost to use my phone in my house.

I do have a Verizon contract though, I am sure that is the difference.