What is MCC_OTA?

willis936

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
Jfgi. It's an update checking service. I wouldn't worry about it. Smart phones are smart; they can handle services and apps just fine.

-stock HTC Thunderbolt tapatalk

Michael Brenner

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
That answer really kinda stinks. I would like more details. I wouldn't be here if I didn't want the details. What is it exactly? Who puts it on the phone? Just exactly how does it work.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Not a lot of detail out there on this component, so further detail is going to be hard to dig up.

I didn't see it running on my phone, but I did see it installed. It has 0K of application space taken up and no uninstaller or icon, so it's a core system application. I see it in search results mostly regarding inquiries from HTC phone owners asking what it is, leading me to believe that it's either a component of Sense or HTC's variant of Android.

I don't see any more details on it - HTC has not seen fit to publish them in a searchable database.

The name implies that it's either a multimedia component that operates over-the-air (remote control for something, probably something that never existed) or is somehow related with the OTA (system updates) process.

Since it's a core component of the OS, you really don't want to be messing with it. If you root and load a custom ROM that does not have Sense on it, the component will probably vanish along with all the other HTC-specific stuff. If you don't want to load a custom ROM, I wouldn't go messing with undocumented components of the stock ROM. There could be other services dependent on it, and bad things could happen if you start task-killing it or anything.

If you're still curious, you might try contacting HTC. This is a user-to-user forum, and while there are plenty of Android ROMers here, there will probably be very few interested in an undocumented component of a stock OS build. If you find out anything from them, please do post it here so the next person to ask has some detail.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463