Signal Strength

kristykat182

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
Anyone notice a weaker signal when upgrading to a TB? My droid used to get a bar or 2 around my desk. The TB gets nothing. Is there a fix for this?

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Anyone notice a weaker signal when upgrading to a TB? My droid used to get a bar or 2 around my desk. The TB gets nothing. Is there a fix for this?
Well, the proof is in the pudding. There are great variances in the displayed signal strength between phones of the same model, not to mention phones of different models and different manufacturers. So... very hard to tell your true circumstances. It's really all about "can you make and receive calls" as well. The ThunderBolt has been holding it's own or even been better for voice calling than my previous phones.

One thing that can be realistically compared is the actual measurement of the signal level. To do this you would have to know what level your old phone was at and compare it to the TBolt. You can find the ThunderBolt's signal level this way: Menu | Settings | About Phone | Network | "Signal Strength". Anything around -90dBm to -70dBm (the "m" means "measured relative to 1 milliwatt") is generally okay. You will seldom see higher than -70 unless you are right at a tower. Then you might see as high as -60 or so. Lower than -90 gets dicey, but can work. Not sure how far down in the mud you can go with the ThunderBolt and still be able to talk.

-Frank

Last edited:

kristykat182

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
Well, the proof is in the pudding. There are great variances in the displayed signal strength between phones of the same model, not to mention phones of different models and different manufacturers. So... very hard to tell your true circumstances. It's really all about "can you make and receive calls" as well. The ThunderBolt has been holding it's own or even been better for voice calling than my previous phones.

One thing that can be realistically compared is the actual measurement of the signal level. To do this you would have to know what level your old phone was at and compare it to the TBolt. You can find the ThunderBolt's signal level this way: Menu | Settings | About Phone | Network | "Signal Strength". Anything around -90dBm to -70dBm (the "m" means "measured relative to 1 milliwatt") is generally okay. You will seldom see higher than -70 unless you are right at a tower. Then you might see as high as -60 or so. Lower than -90 gets dicey, but can work. Not sure how far down in the mud you can go with the ThunderBolt and still be able to talk.

-Frank

Thanks for the info frank. My signal has been at about -105. I am assuming this is not good...?

Chrisy

Banned
Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I get the same signal as I did with my Blackberry Tour. Poor at my house but usable. Great everywhere else.

On both devices sometimes my sign shows 0 bars but my voice and data are working fine. This happens often at my home.

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the info frank. My signal has been at about -105. I am assuming this is not good...?
105 could work. Signal strength is but one parameter (albeit an important one) but signal quality and consistency also count. Sometimes a signal can be more stable even though it is a lower measured level. Bottom line... can you call? Can you receive calls?

-Frank

kristykat182

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
Hmmm. This is making me think something is really wrong with the phone itself. I mean I barely get signal anywhere.

UPDATE: Called the verizon store and they told me to bring it up there because I should be getting signal. I will see how it goes.

paulmike3

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I sit in the -90s at work all day, and have no problems. Never seen it below -98. If I recall correctly, the highest I've seen was directly under a 4G tower: -45. :D

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae