scared to root

mfancy

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
I'm in the same boat. I've been reading up about rooting and it seems really tempting, but I don't want to mess something up. I'm pretty tech savvy and it doesn't seem too difficult, but I guess my concern is unrooting if something were to happen to my phone.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Both of you are wise! More people should feel the same and wait until they are sure of the process. BTW, great threads here on rooting! Happy hunting:)

Mordecaidrake

Dec 24, 2009
Visit site
I've rooted pretty much all my droids, I haven't rooted my TB yet. Not because I'm scared, I'm just waiting until I find reason to do it. Before I need to do it so I could install custom kernels and OC the phone, at this time I haven't found the need to do it(other than take screen shots on the phone). But if you want to root, it's really not bad. You just have to pay attention and do each step in the guide and you'll be fine. Worse case scenario if you messed up somehow and your phone doesn't turn on or something, you got the insurance. Just say it stopped working, after you take out the SD card of coarse =p

CaptGeno

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
I was like that when I first got my evo back in october, but now im rooted, with custom rom, custom kernel, custom splash screen.. read the forums ask questions...read more, search youtube, these forums are you best tools and these people here are super helpful, there are risks when doing these things so just read how to avoid them or see what mistakes people have made to cause errors and how they resolved them. Have fun!!

Sent from my Evo :)

Forgetful

Energy hoarder
Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
It's very easy. This was my first android and rooting adventure. Now I've rooted and unrooted multiple times and re done the entire framework of my phone. Either Cory's or droidx's thread would be good for you. if you want someone to walk you though it I'll be free all day in 1.5 hours.

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
First, you should need a valid reason to root your device... next, you should be very familiar with both your device, AND MOST IMPORTANTLY know the root procedure (reading it several times before starting it). Cory wrote a very good procedure that will teach you a lot, but there is also the very simple Auto Root procedure, which will not teach you anything about your device.

RUSH

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I would like to root my HTC Thunderbolt but I'm scared I will mess it up because this is my first Android
Rooting isn't as easy as it seem.

Obviously you're not ready for anything like that yet. Maybe later. In the meantime just enjoy your phone.

However, if you believe that you should root your phone for whatever reason(s), then you might want to get it done by someone who knows what they're doing.

Last but not least... Please be aware that Rooting voids warranty.

Last edited:

VideoEngineerAJS

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
I'm waiting to root until a true one click root comes out or until all of the updates come out. I figure that once the GB update comes out that we probably won't get another major update so I'm willing to root then (even if a one click rooting method isn't available).

Trust me I would like to get rid of the bloatware, but as of now it's not bothering me so I'm willing to wait.

Forgetful

Energy hoarder
Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Super easy to do that. Seriously, if you have any questions or want to do it let me or any of the countless smart people in the rooting section know. Just know the risks. Time and being careful will ensure success.

roxy surf

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
I have been contemplating rooting also because this is my first android. I think I know the phone pretty well by now, just afraid of the unchartered waters. I used to put leaked OS's on my blackberry's all of the time...but my very first time doing it, I was scared to death...a CrackBerry member was kind and patient enough to walk me thru it step by step..it seemed so hard but once I'm shown how to do it once and with lots of help, I'm good to go and felt like an expert every time after that...the only reason I'm looking to root my phone is for screenshots and getting rid of that awful bloatware...but im nnot sure I'm ready for the stress of trying it yet lol

shovelheadhd

Dec 8, 2009
Visit site
The biggest reason I rooted my thunderbolt was for the benefits that I enjoyed with my original droid. I tend to stick with stock roms but when a gingerbread AOSP comes out for the thunderbolt I will be all over it.

The biggest reason I decided to root was to run wireless tether, then to remove the bloat. I used to run set CPU but I felt like over time the overall performance of my OG droid began to suffer. So at this time I am staying away from overclocking kernels.

If you decided you want to root but you are scared of the process do what I did and others have recommended already. Just read everything you can find about rooting, familiarize yourself with the process, and ask plenty of questions. I know the one click root methods are nice but unfortunately you can't learn much from the process since its pretty hands off.

Droid_Evo_8

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I was afraid to root too when I first got my Tbolt. But I already did alot of research before diving in. My main reasons for rooting are: remove bloatware, improve (stock) battery life, and install apps that otherwise the Marketplace won't let me. Rooting was done before the one click root (and unroot) was released. It was a scary experience cause one mistake on the commands can mess up your phone. But I took my time to read everything before hitting that Enter button to make sure everything is correct.

Don't hesistate to ask on the rooting forums when you need help. I'm sure that there's always someone to help you out there. Goodluck and have fun rooting. :D

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
It's not that difficult you just have to read alot and follow directions. Where it becomes dangerous or confusing is when you do something you are not sure of, or get your files mixed up somewhere, and end up with issues you are not yet prepared to deal with. Once you've rooted and learned the basics of recovery/rom managing, backups, and hboot, you understand that it would be difficult to actually break your phone. But until you've learned a few things you will be sort of lost if you get in hot water.

So you have to read and ask questions! But read and search the forums for answers first. People here are very helpful.

roxy surf

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
It's not that difficult you just have to read alot and follow directions. Where it becomes dangerous or confusing is when you do something you are not sure of, or get your files mixed up somewhere, and end up with issues you are not yet prepared to deal with. Once you've rooted and learned the basics of recovery/rom managing, backups, and hboot, you understand that it would be difficult to actually break your phone. But until you've learned a few things you will be sort of lost if you get in hot water.

So you have to read and ask questions! But read and search the forums for answers first. People here are very helpful.
That's my issue, if I've never seen it before, the while process will be scary for me, but like i said, once I see and do it once, I'm good to go..