Do permissions revert when app is uninstalled?

obidos

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
hi everyone -

do permissions that apps require revert back when you uninstall an app?

for example an app I'm interested in needs these:

Permissions

This application has access to the following:

Your location

coarse (network-based) location

Access coarse location sources such as the cellular network database to determine an approximate device location, where available. Malicious applications can use this to determine approximately where you are.

fine (GPS) location

Access fine location sources such as the Global Positioning System on the device, where available. Malicious applications can use this to determine where you are, and may consume additional battery power.

Network communication

full Internet access
Allows an application to create network sockets.

Your personal information
read contact data
Allows an application to read all of the contact (address) data stored on your device. Malicious applications can use this to send your data to other people.

write contact data

Allows an application to modify the contact (address) data stored on your device. Malicious applications can use this to erase or modify your contact data.

Phone calls

read phone state and identity

Allows the application to access the phone features of the device. An application with this permission can determine the phone number and serial number of this phone, whether a call is active, the number that call is connected to and the like.

Storage

modify/delete USB storage contents modify/delete SD card contents
Allows an application to write to the USB storage. Allows an application to write to the SD card.

System tools

prevent device from sleeping
Allows an application to prevent the device from going to sleep.

modify global system settings
Allows an application to modify the system's settings data. Malicious applications can corrupt your system's configuration.

Network communication

view network state
Allows an application to view the state of all networks.

I'm a total noob and I don't know if I would have to manually reset all the changes this app would make if I install it.

:confused:

paulmike3

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Those apply to the application only, and generally don't change anything on your device -- just what the app can access on your device.

Here's another way of thinking about it. When you install an app, you give it keys to open certain doors (the permissions used to access certain data/functions). When you remove it the app, there's nothing left using the keys you gave it, so nothing else needs to change.

Edit: The only thing I would look into is the "modify global system settings" permission. That's where it could make changes that stay after an uninstall. You need to determine what global settings it changes, which isn't always an easy task. Generally, you have to tell the app to make the changes, so you'll know (for instance, a setting in the app will take you to your device settings which would be a global change).

Reactions: obidos