Truly no good video players (review/test comparison included)

swamp

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
In trying to find a top notch video player for my Tbolt I was disappointed by the lack of good information. Posts on the topic in various forums were either quite old or simply opinion with no backing evidence. As such I picked what appeared to be the top 3 video player options and tested them.

I did not do really thorough testing of the options, UIs or audio/video quality. The main purpose of my testing was to determine which player could reliably play the widest range of video types. I was hoping to not have to re-rip my large movie collection for occasional watching on the Bolt. Unfortunately, with the existing players this is not going to be feasible. One significant show stopper other than the players themselves is the 4 GB file size limit for the SD card. I've heard there may be optional formats that work around this limit but haven't found actual instructions nor proof of this. To test I selected a wide range of videos, wmv, m4v, mkv, avi, vob. They had a variety of file sizes audio/video encoding, resolutions, audio and video bitrates, etc. All however are feature length movies.

If I had to choose a winner based on overall ability to play diverse files it would be Moboplayer. However, this is not much of a "win" since it played only half of my test movies well enough to call them truly watchable. Vplayer was in 2nd place, however, its big limitation is its 7 day trial period.

Unfortunately none of the players played either of my personal prefered format (mkv files) except for one file played properly by Moboplayer.

If you want to encode in a way compatible with the most number of players a m4v file is the clear winner with simple 2 channel AAC audio.

Although not prepared in the cleanest/easiest way to read the complete results of my test are available here in this attached spreadsheet.

I'm anxiously awaiting VLC for Android and hoping it is anywhere close to as good as the Apple OSX version of VLC. This player simply plays everything one can throw at it.

I certainly welcome referrals to strong candidates for further testing.

simp_10

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site
Try RockPlayer

RockPlayer seems to play everything. The Lite version is free.

Edit: Sorry, see you have that listed on your spreadsheet.

swamp

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
RockPlayer seems to play everything. The Lite version is free.

Edit: Sorry, see you have that listed on your spreadsheet.

It does not even come close to playing everything I tested. I should have listed the players though.

Stock HTC player
Moboplayer
Vplayer
RockPlayer.

akira751

Dec 24, 2010
Visit site
It does not even come close to playing everything I tested. I should have listed the players though.

Stock HTC player
Moboplayer
Vplayer
RockPlayer.

very strange I have tried the same players with different formats they played fine with Mobplayer and Rockplayer. I have never tried Vplayer.

hmackenz

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for making this thread - I look forward to seeing what people suggest. The lack of something like VLC player for Android is one of a very small number of things making me want to hang on to my iPad longer instead of switching to an Android tablet (but let's face it, I'm sure I'll eventually make the switch). Having VLC player on my iPad (no longer available for download... I was lucky I got it when I did!) has been GREAT! Super convenient. I'm really interested in jumping ship for the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1, and I hope there will be an official Android VLC player app by the time it comes out :) The added benefit of being able to play the same huge range of file types on my Tbolt would be very welcome!

swamp

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
^ I ran QQplayer and yxplayer through this small battery of tests. They both performed poorly. Neither performed as good as Moboplayer.

Do realize I am somewhat torture testing these apps. I wanted to find an app that can play very large files (2-4 GB) with high video and audio bit rates and not choke on 6 channel audio (obviously I know the TB only has 2 channels...). I'm not at all keen on having a "desktop" and "handheld" version of every full length movie I have.

So much fail here... I suppose I may be asking for way too much. Maybe VLC will not even meet my hopes.

slim6596

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I doubt you'll find any that will play files with the audio encoded in 5 or 6 channels. Mobo player has worked best for me after I found that I could choose "Soft Decoding" as default. That seems to clear up some stutters and difficulties in playback.

swamp

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
I doubt you'll find any that will play files with the audio encoded in 5 or 6 channels. Mobo player has worked best for me after I found that I could choose "Soft Decoding" as default. That seems to clear up some stutters and difficulties in playback.

Most of these players are playing the 5.1/6 channel audio streams. Not always playing them well but playing them surprisingly enough.

ben7337

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
^ I ran QQplayer and yxplayer through this small battery of tests. They both performed poorly. Neither performed as good as Moboplayer.

Do realize I am somewhat torture testing these apps. I wanted to find an app that can play very large files (2-4 GB) with high video and audio bit rates and not choke on 6 channel audio (obviously I know the TB only has 2 channels...). I'm not at all keen on having a "desktop" and "handheld" version of every full length movie I have.

So much fail here... I suppose I may be asking for way too much. Maybe VLC will not even meet my hopes.

Not asking too much at all, just a shame that android phones can't do this. Just a word to the wise, I remember vlc for iOS and it was not any more impressive than these players you tried and the ones people listed have turned out to be, I still have plenty of trouble getting them to do crap. Here's hoping someone designs a player with super good gpu accelerated playback that utilizes something like the tegra 3 to its fullest when it comes out, we might not get 1080p then, but 720p at least. My droid 2 global can barely do 480p if I make sure the browser and other things are clsoed, 480p with 5.1 channel audio is playable but the apps all glitch on it and fill it with artifacts at random, and that was the best of the players.

paradox116

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
There are many media players available on the net for playing almost all video codecs.

But the one i would like to recommend you is VLC media player. Its free, safe and uses an easy interface.

There's another media player- K-Lite Codec Pack. It can be used in two ways- either install it with player or install its codecs only for the windows media player if u don't want to use any other media player.

Presently these are the most popular media players and in addition to them, there's a GOM player too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech