Swype Beta Does Auto-Cap and Auto-Space w/Third-Party SMS + Uninstall/Restart Fix

SoDev

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
As our friend asnyder pointed out yesterday, in this thread, swype beta does indeed auto-cap and auto-space. I guess something has changed over the last month, but all I've ever heard and read is that it doesn't do these two things. It also has a few added bonuses in a bigger keyboard layout and a functioning mic. Some of us were really missing the mic from the Evo version. I just wanted to put this out there for all the people being turned off of the beta by this current misconception.

Update - Apparently the issue is with the stock SMS, so auto-cap and auto-spacing still doesn't work with it and always did for third-party SMS apps. Thanks Rem!

Update2 - There is also an issue when you uninstall an app, or restart your phone. You'll notice swype in not working. Long pressing and changing the input to stock and then back to swype fixes this. Thanks Ricom and zentenn!

Last edited:
Reactions: Rem

Rem

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Oh, is that all it was? No one bothered mentioning that part... lulz. :)

Yep, haha. It was definitely mentioned at the start... however many pages back that might have been. Funny how the details get left out as time passes. ;)

Ricom1

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
Some more info...

It seems the swype beta will stop working if you uninstall ANY program. You have to uninstall Swype and reinstall it. It also tends to stop working every now and then for the "fun of it". Again, uninstall and reinstall fixes it. I've had it for about 3 weeks now and have done the reinstall about 3 or 4 times. All except once was because I uninstalled a program. Now I wait until there's three or four programs that I don't like before I uninstall them, that cuts down on the Swype issue.

That part is a pain, but well worth the benefit of using Swype.

Reactions: SoDev

project.in.process

May 18, 2010
Visit site
was excited--then sad when it didn't auto space.
uninstalled, installed Evo version.
now reading this & installed it again with GoSMS,
sweet it works!

thanks.

SoDev

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Some more info...

It seems the swype beta will stop working if you uninstall ANY program. You have to uninstall Swype and reinstall it. It also tends to stop working every now and then for the "fun of it". Again, uninstall and reinstall fixes it. I've had it for about 3 weeks now and have done the reinstall about 3 or 4 times. All except once was because I uninstalled a program. Now I wait until there's three or four programs that I don't like before I uninstall them, that cuts down on the Swype issue.

That part is a pain, but well worth the benefit of using Swype.

Doh... I had an issue today where it wouldn't input text. I did some Lookout uninstalling recently. I just changed the text input to the regular one and then back and it was working again.

Ricom1

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
Doh... I had an issue today where it wouldn't input text. I did some Lookout uninstalling recently. I just changed the text input to the regular one and then back and it was working again.

Never tried that! I read somewhere else (in these forums) that it was a bug where you had to uninstall/reinstall. So I did that, it worked and never thought about trying to pick the standard and pick the Swype. That would save some headache.

SoDev

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
I just uninstalled another app... you are right, it does mess it up, but the go to input and change it and change it back works. Sweet.

major_works

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone else noted that the Swype for Android does not work with the Yahoo! Messenger app on the Thunderbolt? Does anyone know of a fix for this?

SoDev

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Thanks again, Rem! ...guess I could have found that, didn't realize it was just sitting on the market. :)

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
Has anyone else noted that the Swype for Android does not work with the Yahoo! Messenger app on the Thunderbolt? Does anyone know of a fix for this?

Did you try the New Version of Swype for HTC Evo, or just the Beta.Swype.com version?

I prefer the Evo version... it's easy to install, just to the email part a page or so down the thread on the Evo link above.

Reactions: major_works