Contact Ringtone Issues?

Vlosaloty

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
Is there going to be a fix for this? Everytime I set up a personal ringtone for a contact it will work for a few then all of a sudden it goes back to my default ringtone. Im not sure how to fix this or ways to work around this but its getting annoying when it constently goes back to my default ringtone. I even went as far as deleting my contacts in google and imported my contacts from another source but that seems to have no effect on it. Anyone else have this problem? Sorry if this was already said on this forum but I really dont wanna go and look through 1000 pages just to find it. ;)

delynnie

Dec 25, 2010
Visit site
I have the same problem! It is very annoying, and is driving me CRAZY!
I hope it gets fixed soon, cuz having different ringtones for work, family,
business contacts is really important to me! :(

cadzilla74

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
It is odd but on only a few occasions my custom ring-tone for someone will revert to Default. But just doing a reboot fixes it every time for me. It seems the background process that is running that handles that task gets put in the background by the OS or goes into kind of a sleep-mode and when a call comes in it either doesn't respond and handle the sound processing or it takes too long to "wake up" so the base OS handles it by launching the Default.

To put it more simply I hope, the Froyo OS can always give you the default ring-tone on demand but it takes a second software layer process to interpret the request to substitute the custom ring-tone and that process running in the background can get into a slow or non-responsive state, especially if you haven't done a reboot for several days.

If you are running a task-killer DELETE it! One of the things it might do is kill the process that redirects the ring-tone because it will see it idle for long periods of time.

Vlosaloty

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
It is odd but on only a few occasions my custom ring-tone for someone will revert to Default. But just doing a reboot fixes it every time for me. It seems the background process that is running that handles that task gets put in the background by the OS or goes into kind of a sleep-mode and when a call comes in it either doesn't respond and handle the sound processing or it takes too long to "wake up" so the base OS handles it by launching the Default.

To put it more simply I hope, the Froyo OS can always give you the default ring-tone on demand but it takes a second software layer process to interpret the request to substitute the custom ring-tone and that process running in the background can get into a slow or non-responsive state, especially if you haven't done a reboot for several days.

If you are running a task-killer DELETE it! One of the things it might do is kill the process that redirects the ring-tone because it will see it idle for long periods of time.

Yeah I think I found a post that might be able to fix it for right now, but im awaiting a reply if I ever do get a reply. Anyways I used to have a task killer but I deleted that about 2 weeks ago after I read reviews on here and other sites saying how it isnt good to have one.

Sabrina Fair

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
Guys: I have the same exact problem. I called Verizon Tech Support and stopped into my local Verizon Store and both told me to do a "factory reset" I am not going to do this because I don't think it will resolve the problem

defcon999

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Is there going to be a fix for this? Everytime I set up a personal ringtone for a contact it will work for a few then all of a sudden it goes back to my default ringtone. Im not sure how to fix this or ways to work around this but its getting annoying when it constently goes back to my default ringtone. I even went as far as deleting my contacts in google and imported my contacts from another source but that seems to have no effect on it. Anyone else have this problem? Sorry if this was already said on this forum but I really dont wanna go and look through 1000 pages just to find it. ;)
I had the same issue but only after I restore from a flash to a ROM or a factory reset.

I only have 20+ people that have custom ringtones, so to reassign them is no big deal.

Here is something to try. I DO NOT know if this will help, but, it is something to try.

1. Make a folder called "Media"
2. In that folder create 3 folders called
a. Alarms
b. Notifications
c. Ringtones.
3. Then move all your tones in there accordingly.

I am thinking that the DEFAULT tones reside on the phone somewhere and not the SD card (I may be wrong) and when you do a factory reset, it wipes them out or breaks the link.

I have used the above method since I had my original DROID almost 2 years ago and haven't had any issues with ringtones reverting to default. My only issue is that my default ringtone changed after a FLASH...but, I just reset it and it is fine now!

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
1. Make a folder called "Media"
2. In that folder create 3 folders called
a. Alarms
b. Notifications
c. Ringtones.
3. Then move all your tones in there accordingly.

Does case matter?

-Frank

Sent from my HTC ThunderBolt 4G/LTE using Tapatalk

rcmarks314

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
FWIW I have all of my ringtones in an audio folder. I have one set for default and others set for a few of my contacts. It will either play the correct ringtone or it will play the ringtone for the last person that called. ie a friend called earlier tonight and her ringtone came up. Later my Mom called and it played my friends ringtone instead of Mom's ringtone. Then I called from my home phone and it played the default ringtone. (home phone is set for default) It seems when it does mess up it goes to the last played ringtone. I haven't seen anything that fixes this yet. Sorry.

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
After further research on the net, here's what I found. Might be worth a try.

Yes, it does matter that the folders are named "ringtones", "alarms" and "notifications", but, case does not matter, and, it doesn't matter where those folders are on the SD card -- they will be found because of the folder name. Some people put them off the root of the SD card (i.e. SDcard/ringtones). Others put them under a "Media" folder (i.e. SDcard/Media/ringtones). Others under a "Media/Audio" folder (i.e. SDcard/Media/Audio/ringtones), etc. Just make sure the folders are named "alarms", "ringtones" and "notifications" and you should be fine using personalized sounds.

Although, from my experience, it is true that you can certainly configure a ringtone for example, that resides in ANY directory, when the phone is set for personalized rings for certain contacts, then they really need to be in a folder of this name (ringtones) to ensure it is found for that specific contact at the appropriate time. Presumably, this will avoid the intermittent playing of the wrong ringtone for personalized ringtone contacts. The reasoning is that these folder names are specifically tracked when the phone is started (preparing SD card scanning) and remembered for later use.

-Frank

Last edited:

rcmarks314

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
My point was that all of my ringtones are in the ringtone folder. I liked my ringtones from my old phone (I've always made my own ringtones) I use none of the stock ringtones that come with the phone. I have a default ringtone for everyone that doesn't have a custom ringtone. All of the ringtones are in the same folder. I've never seen (actually heard) a ringtone from the stock ringtones come up. So it's looking in the right place but playing the wrong tone.

I'm wondering if there's a data file for these that might need to be emptied. All I've found was under settings, applications, manage applications, all
Ringtone Widget
version 3.0.2114243118.45466
Total 16.00 KB
Application 16.00 KB
Data 0.00 B
Cache 0.00 B
Nothing to clear here.

Last edited:

rcmarks314

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
I started a thread in the XDA general Thunderbolt forum to see if we can find a fix for this problem. I hope folks here will report their findings over there and we can figure this out.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
After further research on the net, here's what I found. Might be worth a try.

Yes, it does matter that the folders are named "ringtones", "alarms" and "notifications", but, case does not matter, and, it doesn't matter where those folders are on the SD card -- they will be found because of the folder name. Some people put them off the root of the SD card (i.e. SDcard/ringtones). Others put them under a "Media" folder (i.e. SDcard/Media/ringtones). Others under a "Media/Audio" folder (i.e. SDcard/Media/Audio/ringtones), etc. Just make sure the folders are named "alarms", "ringtones" and "notifications" and you should be fine using personalized sounds.

Although, from my experience, it is true that you can certainly configure a ringtone for example, that resides in ANY directory, when the phone is set for personalized rings for certain contacts, then they really need to be in a folder of this name (ringtones) to ensure it is found for that specific contact at the appropriate time. Presumably, this will avoid the intermittent playing of the wrong ringtone for personalized ringtone contacts. The reasoning is that these folder names are specifically tracked when the phone is started (preparing SD card scanning) and remembered for later use.

-Frank

^^^ This.

My wife's Pantech Crossover would allow me to pick ringtones for individual contacts for her, but none of them actually worked. I kept getting odd "file too large" errors, or "unsupported format" errors, for very small MP3 files. When it would accept them it wouldn't always play them.

Then I read about the "notifications", "ringtones", and "alarms" folder tricks, and sure enough, they showed up as default-looking ringtones, AND they worked no matter what size they were, AND they always worked as custom ringtones.

Which led me to my first useability gripe - why doesn't Android make those folders by default, if they are some sort of "secret sauce"?

Don't get me wrong, I'll take rough edges and flexibility over perfection in a walled garden any day, but some of the edges seem unnecessarily rough.

tjefferson3

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
I noticed the same thing was happening with my ringtones after I rooted my phone...since I was new to rooting and don't really understand the purpose of rooting, I just did it to change my ROM to sense 3.5, I unrooted my phone and now my contact ringtones play properly...I think I will get the Vigor/Rezound when it comes out to enjoy sense 3.5...

Sabrina Fair

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
This is the response I got from HTC's tech support regarding ringtones/contact issue:

To set a custom mp3/wav for a Ringtone, System Alert, or a Notification sound on a Android device, you have to create a folder on your storage card for each specific sound type you want to set. For Ringtones you need to create a folder called "Ringtones", for Notifications create a folder called "Notifications", and for system alerts create a folder called "Alerts". (Folder names are case sensitive)

Please Note: SMS Notification System Alerts are wav files only - Ringtones for phone calls can be mp3 files.

You can do this by:
Connecting your Android device to your computer as a USB Mass Storage device.
Proceed to My Computer/Computer and open the Removable disk
Right-Click, Select New, and then click on Folder
Name the folder to the Sound type you want.
Once this is done, copy and paste your custom alert/ringtone/notification into its respected folder.
Close the windows and safely remove the device from the computer.

I tried it and it seems to work.

Reactions: FrankXS

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
This is the response I got from HTC's tech support regarding ringtones/contact issue:

To set a custom mp3/wav for a Ringtone, System Alert, or a Notification sound on a Android device, you have to create a folder on your storage card for each specific sound type you want to set. For Ringtones you need to create a folder called "Ringtones", for Notifications create a folder called "Notifications", and for system alerts create a folder called "Alerts". (Folder names are case sensitive)

Please Note: SMS Notification System Alerts are wav files only - Ringtones for phone calls can be mp3 files.

You can do this by:
Connecting your Android device to your computer as a USB Mass Storage device.
Proceed to My Computer/Computer and open the Removable disk
Right-Click, Select New, and then click on Folder
Name the folder to the Sound type you want.
Once this is done, copy and paste your custom alert/ringtone/notification into its respected folder.
Close the windows and safely remove the device from the computer.

I tried it and it seems to work.
Go figure! :D

-Frank

Sabrina Fair

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
Hi Guys,

Some bad news. I did some additional testing and once again when the contact called, it went to the default ringtone. At least HTC did try to provide some technical support. VZW's solution to this problem was to do a factory reset. If anybody has some other ideas please let me know. I am going to save up for the Bionic or Samsung's Nexus Prime.

:'(

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Hi Guys,

Some bad news. I did some additional testing and once again when the contact called, it went to the default ringtone. At least HTC did try to provide some technical support. VZW's solution to this problem was to do a factory reset. If anybody has some other ideas please let me know. I am going to save up for the Bionic or Samsung's Nexus Prime.

:'(
Did you restart after making the folders? The TBolt scans the SD card upon startup and that is when it finds all the named folders and contents. Or, possibly an incompatible ringtone? File format, length, size, etc.

Also, any chance you have that contact listed more than once and "linked'? Perhaps with the default ringtone still configured on one of 'em?

-Frank

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay