Mysterious Text Message Started Last Night

nhanc05_79

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
Number: 900080001350

I started getting this text message last night and I'm not sure where it's coming from. Is anybody else getting this?

wildman

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
That sounds like a possible Verizon notification emails, I get a similar message when I pay my bill..

attachment.php

nhanc05_79

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
If it is from Verizon I wonder what it's about. I would like to call them, but I doubt a normal CSR would know what I'm talking about.

Maybe it has something to do with that forthcoming update?

wildman

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
The message didn't have any information with it to explain the nature of message? I also received messages like this when they notified about special promotions..

nhanc05_79

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
Nope just that message. I'm talking with VZW tech support now. They keep asking me if I downloaded any new apps recently but I can't see how that would cause me to get text messages from VZW.

The message is coming in every 10 minutes now.

Tech advised me to do a factory reset, but I'm gonna hold off on that for a bit and see if it clears up on its own.

AndroidXTC

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
Nope just that message. I'm talking with VZW tech support now. They keep asking me if I downloaded any new apps recently but I can't see how that would cause me to get text messages from VZW.

The message is coming in every 10 minutes now.

Tech advised me to do a factory reset, but I'm gonna hold off on that for a bit and see if it clears up on its own.

Thats odd.

jtalker1965

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
Did you at anytime change anything on your account and did you make a payment to your account on line or at the store? I get t those texts after changes made to the account. When I go to Verizons main stores and make a payment they will send out a text.

jpeelgren

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
Number: 900080001350

I started getting this text message last night and I'm not sure where it's coming from. Is anybody else getting this?
I am getting these messages as well. I do not think they are generated from VZW as their messages usually state "this is a free text message". I am getting one about every hour! My only thought is that a recent update of GO SMS application might be generating this. I am on an unlimited text plan, so that is another reason I do not think the messages are coming from VZW.

Insp_Gadget

Inspector Gadget
Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Do you (or did you at some point) use any kind of visual voicemail service or app? Or any kind of service that uses "hidden" SMS messages to imitate a "push" service? If that app is no longer installed/active, it's not intercepting the SMS messages any longer (thus you're now seeing them).

That's what these look like.

brett328

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Same thing happened to me recently, I am pretty sure it had to do with me logging into my Yahoo IM account. After I figured out how to remove the account the txt's stopped coming. That Yahoo IM is a crapass spamming POS. I'll never use it again.

Insp_Gadget

Inspector Gadget
Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Same thing happened to me recently, I am pretty sure it had to do with me logging into my Yahoo IM account. After I figured out how to remove the account the txt's stopped coming. That Yahoo IM is a crapass spamming POS. I'll never use it again.

That's entirely possible. I use Yahoo Messenger on desktop and phone, but I've never linked it to my phone number. So if it does some kind of funky hidden SMS trick to pass messages to people's phones (primarily feature/"dumb" phones that don't have data service), then that would explain it.

brett328

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
That's entirely possible. I use Yahoo Messenger on desktop and phone, but I've never linked it to my phone number. So if it does some kind of funky hidden SMS trick to pass messages to people's phones (primarily feature/"dumb" phones that don't have data service), then that would explain it.
I suspected it was coming from Yahoo IM since after I signed out, I got an almost identical txt saying "dont log out". I was receiving a txt every 20 minutes or so until it dawned on me where it might be coming from. I had recently done a factory reset and was re-initializing all my services. Synced up my Yahoo IM account even though I hadnt done that before, or been on it in months. Immediately started getting these exact txt messages. Use to be a Yahoo fan, now a Yahoo hater, and Google advocate.

And oh yeah, logging out didnt stop the txt messages, on;y removing the account from the phone stopped them.

Insp_Gadget

Inspector Gadget
Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I suspected it was coming from Yahoo IM since after I signed out, I got an almost identical txt saying "dont log out". I was receiving a txt every 20 minutes or so until it dawned on me where it might be coming from. I had recently done a factory reset and was re-initializing all my services. Synced up my Yahoo IM account even though I hadnt done that before, or been on it in months. Immediately started getting these exact txt messages. Use to be a Yahoo fan, now a Yahoo hater, and Google advocate.

And oh yeah, logging out didnt stop the txt messages, on;y removing the account from the phone stopped them.

Well, I'm sure this will help those that are getting these messages. I've never gotten them because I've never used Yahoo's "mobile" tie-in with their Messenger system. I've only ever used Yahoo Messenger with full data services. I kind of figured that it was using some kind of gimped SMS notification trick for "dumb" phones, and that such a method would should show weird SMS messages on phones that didn't need the trick.

brett328

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Well, I'm sure this will help those that are getting these messages. I've never gotten them because I've never used Yahoo's "mobile" tie-in with their Messenger system. I've only ever used Yahoo Messenger with full data services. I kind of figured that it was using some kind of gimped SMS notification trick for "dumb" phones, and that such a method would should show weird SMS messages on phones that didn't need the trick.
I have a Tbolt, not a feature phone. Been using only unlimited data smartphones for years, so dont think it has anything to do with "feature" phones. Maybe this has something to do with the other thread in this forum regarding not being able to sign into Verizon IM services. Could be a security leak has been discovered.

GoldLeader

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Maybe they're texting you to let you know that you're being charged for the previous text that they just sent you...

Do you have one of those lost cell phone apps installed?
I think that those apps report your current GPS position when they see a special text message in the inbox. I wonder if that's what you're seeing.

stockandroidguy

May 27, 2011
Visit site
I had this problem when I had a regular phone and was using mobile mail. I then switched to a smartphone but forgot to logout of mobile mail so everytime i would get a email on my smartphone I got a weird text that would say something like BREW with random numbers. What made it worse was there was an option to opt out of it by responding stop which I did so many times not realizing it was to an international number I was responding to by text so I was charged extra.I had to go back to my old feature phone and LOGOUT of the mobilemail and then it stopped. Hope this makes sense

jpeelgren

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
Do you (or did you at some point) use any kind of visual voicemail service or app? Or any kind of service that uses "hidden" SMS messages to imitate a "push" service? If that app is no longer installed/active, it's not intercepting the SMS messages any longer (thus you're now seeing them).

That's what these look like.

I think Inspector Gadget is on to something... I was getting the same messages. Called VZW and the rep said the messages were from them. She thought it was because one of my phones does not have an unlimited TM bundle. So, she changed my account so that "marketing" messages would not be sent. HOWEVER, based on IG's comments, I was also getting a message that said Visual Voice Mail was not activated properly. When the VZW rep was asked about that, she told me to redownload Visual VM. I seemed to recall that that was not correct, but downloaded it anyway and, lo and behold, the Droid told me that VVM was built-in and that I should uninstall what I had just installed. I then re-synched my VM's 9not sure why I didn't think to do this earlier) and the messages have stopped. Thanks, Inspector Gadget...

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1