4G Spotted in Indianapolis

DJBeanPole

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
Just headed into work and noticed that 4G is up. I also noticed for awhile last night at the bar I was at out in Avon. Haven't been able to get any reliable speed tests though.

The SpeedTest App shows around 5-6Mbps, and the upload is screwed up.

Speakeasy's speedtest only lets me connect to Chicago, and its about 5-6Mbps and then it also screws up on uploading.

5-6? I'm not impressed.

But I'm glad its spreading out :D!

Anyone else notice this?

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Just headed into work and noticed that 4G is up. I also noticed for awhile last night at the bar I was at out in Avon. Haven't been able to get any reliable speed tests though.

The SpeedTest App shows around 5-6Mbps, and the upload is screwed up.

Speakeasy's speedtest only lets me connect to Chicago, and its about 5-6Mbps and then it also screws up on uploading.

5-6? I'm not impressed.

But I'm glad its spreading out :D!

Anyone else notice this?
Personally, 5-6Mbps on a cell phone does impress me. I know we'd all like 31Mbps, but...

Also, have you updated the speedtest.net app from the Market. Mine, with the recent update, is showing correct upload speeds. The earlier version was showing bogus upload speeds.

-Frank

DJBeanPole

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
Personally, 5-6Mbps on a cell phone does impress me. I know we'd all like 31Mbps, but...

Also, have you updated the speedtest.net app from the Market. Mine, with the recent update is showing correct upload speeds. The earlier version was showing bogus upload speeds.

-Frank

Frank,

Just hearing people say 10+ I guess I was expecting more ;) maybe they are still in their "testing" phase because i've never seen it out here before... but I can settle with 5-6!

When I googled the speedtest website it went straight to the market for the app so I'm assuming that yes, I do have the latest version.

But it shows the upload speed as 0.20Mbps which I think is a TAD slow.

It SKYROCKETS into the 20Mbps range, then pauses, then goes to like 0.01

Looks screwy.

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Frank,

Just hearing people say 10+ I guess I was expecting more ;) maybe they are still in their "testing" phase because i've never seen it out here before... but I can settle with 5-6!

When I googled the speedtest website it went straight to the market for the app so I'm assuming that yes, I do have the latest version.

But it shows the upload speed as 0.20Mbps which I think is a TAD slow.

It SKYROCKETS into the 20Mbps range, then pauses, then goes to like 0.01

Looks screwy.
This is typical of a bad 4G connection. Or, the tower software is being worked on, or it's just a temporary anomoly. You should expect upload speeds around 2-4Mbps. The "bugged" speedtest.net app would give you 10 times the real upload spead... like 30-40Mbps or something. Looks like you've got the good one.

-Frank

Last edited:

jamushaggard

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
currently 4g is available at the new airport. i can get signal full strength at 465 and washington st on the westside. i can even get it in brownsburg on certain days. i know a guy that works for tower company that said they just installed a 4g tower downtown indy 2 weeks ago but its not active yet.

DJBeanPole

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
currently 4g is available at the new airport. i can get signal full strength at 465 and washington st on the westside. i can even get it in brownsburg on certain days. i know a guy that works for tower company that said they just installed a 4g tower downtown indy 2 weeks ago but its not active yet.

This is good to hear. I actually live in Brownsburg and I was somewhat surprised when I saw it pop up in Avon after heading to their Buffalo Wild Wings for UFC last night. According to VZW's 4G coverage map (a la Frank's sig) the 4G Extended Coverage is less than a mile away from my house! So close!

DJBeanPole

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
Yea... parents live in Zionsville. Woulda be nice to have it on there when I go to visit. Dad/brothers are into technology and I can show off my 4G sexyness ;)

Dukins

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
Yeah its pretty much everywhere now. I tried the speed test with 4G and wasnt impressed. Hopefully it gets better sooner rather then later. Still takes forever for transitions from 3G to 4G.

DJBeanPole

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
snap20110501_231909.jpg

Good test. Indy to Chicago server. I'm pleased :)

anon(247108)

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
This thread Is kind a of funny to me because I was in Indianapolis on Sunday on business. Before going, I checked Verizon's coverage map and it was indicated as a 4G area so did not think much of it and did not run a speediest. I used my TB as a hotspot for my iPad and was very satisfied with the speeds. Worked perfectly at the airport, a gap in the cab heading into town and perfectly while I was at the Marriott. Based on the performance, I just assumed 4G had been available forma while.

DJBeanPole

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
Hey you never know it might have been working then. You stayed at the NEW Marriott? Or the older one? Because the new one is pimp.

indymeh

Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
I am pulling 4 Bars of 4G downtown Indy at corner of Delaware/McCarthy and it wasn't working here Friday. Getting between 20-30 Mbps download speeds constantly (one or two were around 14-15). I was also getting a full signal over at the Garfield Park area Saturday 4/30 with similar download speeds.

anon(247108)

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
Hey you never know it might have been working then. You stayed at the NEW Marriott? Or the older one? Because the new one is pimp.

The JW Marriott. Looks new. Did not actually stay, flew in Sunday mroning, gave a talk and flew out. Hey the hotel looks over a stadium, looks like a baseball one, who plays there?

zuker88

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
The JW Marriott. Looks new. Did not actually stay, flew in Sunday mroning, gave a talk and flew out. Hey the hotel looks over a stadium, looks like a baseball one, who plays there?

That would be the Indianapolis Indians. Nice little triple A team. It's a great ball park too. Oh, and no 4G on the far north side yet in the Noblesville area. I work at 56th and Georgetown and none there yet either.

DJBeanPole

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
That would be the Indianapolis Indians. Nice little triple A team. It's a great ball park too. Oh, and no 4G on the far north side yet in the Noblesville area. I work at 56th and Georgetown and none there yet either.

+1

I wouldn't mind seeing them play a game if it would stop F'n raining!

Dukins

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
I believe 4G is official in Indianapolis. I was never able to receive 4G at my job, now I am receiving strong signals. Far Southside Near Rolls Royce.

My Speedtest Results

Down - 14.68 mb / Up - 3.44
Down - 14.07 mb / Up - 4.47
Down - 13.89 mb / Up - 3.85
Down - 15.16 mb / Up - 5.20
Down - 15.36 mb / Up - 4.63

4G is a beautiful thing except on your battery lol.

streetstrip01

Legalized Drug Dealer
Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
I believe 4G is official in Indianapolis. I was never able to receive 4G at my job, now I am receiving strong signals. Far Southside Near Rolls Royce.

My Speedtest Results

Down - 14.68 mb / Up - 3.44
Down - 14.07 mb / Up - 4.47
Down - 13.89 mb / Up - 3.85
Down - 15.16 mb / Up - 5.20
Down - 15.36 mb / Up - 4.63

4G is a beautiful thing except on your battery lol.

Still nothing at St V.

I has a sad :(

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maximusdebois