Custom contact ringtones working intermittently

everclear0411

May 4, 2011
Visit site
I've searched high and low, and can't really find a solution to this issue.

I've had my Thunderbolt for about a month and love it. I created custom ringtones for each of my contacts by editing MP3s and placing them on the SD card in the ringtones folder. I assigned them via the stock contact manager. They worked flawlessly for about three weeks until just last week when they stopped working consistently. Right now it's about 50/50 as to whether or not I'll get the contact ringtone or the default tone. I know they won't work when I have the SD card mounted, and this isn't when the issue occurs.

I do not nor have not used any task killer apps, ringtone apps, or anything beyond a few games and social networking stuff as far as other apps go. I am not rooted and am basically stock unit. I've battery pulled and reset numerous times and can't seem to d I've researched the heck out of this issue and can't seem to find a solution.

I'm a Blackberry whiz, but very new to Android. Any help or guidance anyone here could offer would be greatly appreciated.

Vlosaloty

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
U aren't alone. I have had this problem since a few days after release. I can't seem to find a solution either. I found couple of people try different ways and tried them, it would work for a day or so and then it's right back to the default ringtone.

I am Fake Jesus

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
same here. rather annoying. an sometimes to answer it comes up as answer ignore blocks on bottom, sometimes the unlock style answer ignore...

i hope this new update fixes this bug. are you guys running sense or another launcher. im running adw an widget locker. non rooted.

cegabq

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
Got the same problem & had same problem on my OG Droid. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't; sometimes a reboot fixes for a while; sometimes those ringtones just come back on their own

Vlosaloty

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
Got the same problem & had same problem on my OG Droid. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't; sometimes a reboot fixes for a while; sometimes those ringtones just come back on their own

So did they ever fix it on the OG Droid? If not that sucks and looks bad for us on the thunderbolt, cause im getting very frusterated with this part of the phone. So it will most deff bother me more if there isnt a fix.

libraryclg

Oct 11, 2010
Visit site
I don't know if this is a fix, but what worked for me (so far) is taking the dashes out of the number for people on my contact list. For example instead of 123-456-7890, it would be 1234567890. Your mileage may very of course, but that's what has worked for me thus far.

Vlosaloty

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
I don't know if this is a fix, but what worked for me (so far) is taking the dashes out of the number for people on my contact list. For example instead of 123-456-7890, it would be 1234567890. Your mileage may very of course, but that's what has worked for me thus far.

ok sweet ill try this and see what happens. I havent tried that yet.. Thank you

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
Copy the ring-tones to the phone itself. That should fix the problem. I saw this poroblem with other non android phones all the time and moving them to the phone itself fixed the issue.

Vlosaloty

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
Copy the ring-tones to the phone itself. That should fix the problem. I saw this poroblem with other non android phones all the time and moving them to the phone itself fixed the issue.

How do you copy the ringtones to the phone? I been using either Free Music Downloader or zedge to get my ringtones. How do I copy them to be on phone itself?

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
How do you copy the ringtones to the phone? I been using either Free Music Downloader or zedge to get my ringtones. How do I copy them to be on phone itself?

Astro or any other file manager will do the trick.

Copy to

/system/media/ringtones

Astro will open to the root of /sdcard and your ringtones should be in a folder inside that; you will have to navigate down to the root file system.

DJBeanPole

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
Astro or any other file manager will do the trick.

Copy to

/system/media/ringtones

Astro will open to the root of /sdcard and your ringtones should be in a folder inside that; you will have to navigate down to the root file system.

You mean /system/media/audio/ringtones :p!

I'm giving this a shot myself as I'm suffering from the same error. I like my g/f and some friends/family to have a different ringer and the ones I've been assigning haven't been sticking.

everclear0411

May 4, 2011
Visit site
I moved my ringtones to the folder reccomended. They had just been in a 'ringtones' folder in the root menu of the SD card.

So far, so good. I don't expect it to last though.

Vital#AC

May 10, 2011
Visit site
Astro or any other file manager is not lettting me move files to /system/media/audio/ringtones or the /system at all from my sd card

Ricom1

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
Good to know this isn't just me! I thought it might have been something with Google Voice, but couldn't see where any options were that put me back to my default.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781