PdaNet, Easy Tether, Wireless Tether??

PiperTim

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Which one is the best tethering software to have... I downloaded all three on my new TB, but haven't had a chance to work with them and thought it silly to have three apps for the same thing. So I come to you, oh great and wise users, to find out which is best? Of course they are all the free versions! would any of you buy any of them?

Thanks!!:D

project.in.process

May 18, 2010
Visit site
pdanet--requires USB connection with additional software installed on your computer, but still reliable (if you pay for the full version with access to HTTPS sites). best if you only want to access internet on your computer. if you want to run other devices off the internet, you have to figure out how to set them up to receive signal from your computer, connected to your phone via USB. kind of a hassle.

Wireless Tether--requires Rooting of your phone (but most convenient for things like other cell phones that can run off the signal, or game consoles, or internet capable blu-ray players)

easytether--never used so i can't say

i prefer WirelessTether using the Google Source Code page version (but that's only b/c i used it when i was using a rooted Evo)

phantomog

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
what impact does using the built-in wired tethering have? Does Verizon charge extra if you use it? I know the hotspot feature is extra and free temporarily, but I don't understand how the built-in wired tethering fits in.

project.in.process

May 18, 2010
Visit site
what impact does using the built-in wired tethering have? Does Verizon charge extra if you use it? I know the hotspot feature is extra and free temporarily, but I don't understand how the built-in wired tethering fits in.

you are charged extra, still, if you tether using the USB connection.

the wired-tethering option is available on the phone for devices that don't have a receiver in them to accept wireless signal for internet (ie a computer that does not have a wifi receiver built into it. you could run your usb cable from your phone to this computer & give it internet access). this is why the option is still charged as a feature if it is used.

you are only charged when using the Verizon method of wired tethering.
however, using an app like pda.net will not automatically add that charge to your account. IF verizon notices large amount of data suddenly being used on your account vs your usual consumption, then they may investigate. unlikely, but still a possibility.

broadwayblues

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
I wonder how long apps like these are going to work. When I downloaded GB for my Droid X, the wireless tether app didn't work anymore, and p3 said to delete his hack that got it working.

From what I am seeing, it would appear that the free hotspot, no matter how it is obtained is going to be a thing of the past. For the OP, who wants to pay for such a feature (PDA or Easytether) it might not be worth it to pay for functionality that might not work once the next update rolls out.

PiperTim

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site

the wired-tethering option is available on the phone for devices that don't have a receiver in them to accept wireless signal for internet (ie a computer that does not have a wifi receiver built into it. you could run your usb cable from your phone to this computer & give it internet access). this is why the option is still charged as a feature if it is used.

however, using an app like pda.net will not automatically add that charge to your account. IF verizon notices large amount of data suddenly being used on your account vs your usual consumption, then they may investigate. unlikely, but still a possibility.

So if you are using something like PdaNet and not being crazy about it, they will probably never know. and if you are using high amounts of data, how can they PROVE it is from tethering and not just watching videos on the phone browser?? Don't know if they will have much of a case there?!:p

project.in.process

May 18, 2010
Visit site
given that you're in the Thunderbolt forum, i assume you're using a Thunderbolt--but i frequent other forums too since i like to read up on all types of issues in Android.

are you a Thunderbolt user or using a different phone?

since the hotspot feature is free until the 15th, i would assume that the wired option is going to have leniency and not be charged until the 15th as well. however, knowing Verizon, i wouldn't be surprised if they were to charge extra.
i'm uncertain how much/what the rate of charge is (per MB). an easy way to find out is calling a CSR and asking to check on your bill to see if there has been any unusual activity or extra charges added. if they say no, then you're good to go.

but i wouldn't tether, via USB, after the 15th--just to be safe.

kalopsia

Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
If you do unauthorized tethering and Verizon notices it, they will warn you that you will be charged for the $20/month tethering fee. If you continue to do it, they will go ahead and charge you the $20/month fee.

That's what I read when I bought my TBolt anyways.

phantomog

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site

is it treated exactly the same as using the hotspot feature though? I only used it briefly with my laptop, and I can see all charges in and around that time period have "UNLIMITED MEGABYTE ALLOW" as the usage type. Maybe I won't get charged because hotspot is free right now? Hopefully... :-\

Reactions: heu77

PiperTim

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Im using a ThunderBolt, and yes, I used the "work around" to get the free PdaNet on the phone to try it out before buying (if I want to go the secure route).

Im still not convinced Verizon or AT&T can tell what your usage is from.

fullmerdvm

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I agree with PiperTim...I'm not really sure they can tell...I've been using Pdanet since I started with the original droid. I also have connectify which turns my laptop into a hotspot. For instance, we had to drive about 12 hours to get to my mother in law's funeral and in the car I used the pdanet to tether my laptop, and then turned on the connectify so that everyone in the car, ie: my kids, could use the hotspot to go online with their laptops etc on the long stressful and boring ride. I don't do it often, but when i need it, it's fabulous.

thozgyz

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
Talked to a guy at Verizon store, just he and I in the store. Not that they know much more then us. I Asked him how much data would I have to be using with pda or easy tether before they say anything. He brought up a point about the blockbuster app. That's a lot of data if you download a movie. I use pda for music and surfing. I told him I download a lot of music. He said he wouldn't worry about it. Cuz a few albums a day is nothing compared to let's say a movie a day. He also said big red can't tell where the data is coming from.

Ed Witles

May 4, 2011
Visit site
Gang -

I used to use the USB on my Voyager - only way to get online (CDMA modem).

Now, there are times that a USB (wired) would be better vs hot spot. If I have to plug the HTC to keep charged, might as well do it over USB to the one PC that needs to get connected.

That said, what would my 'options' be?

Thanks!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steve1084