No Replacements In-store?

zachnelson

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
Why do they not carry replacement units in store?

My first thunderbolt had a defective screen. I went in store and they shipped me a new one, and I received it two days later. Total time with thunderbolt one: 16 days

My second thunderbolt somehow drains the battery from my first thunderbolt 3-4 times fast then my first thunderbolt. It was *nearly* unusable Again, went in store and they shipped me a new one which I never received. Total time with thunderbolt two: 5 days, and on going.

My third thunderbolt was never received. They shipped it to Colorado and not Nebraska. I called the manager at my local store and today he shipped me another one. Total time with thunderbolt three: 0 days

My fourth thunderbolt is supposed to arrive Friday, if it shipped out today, otherwise Monday. Total time with thunderbolt four: N/A

Total time with a completely or almost unusable device: 5 days
Total phone calls to verizon: several
Total time wasted because of shipping: 6 days+?

Wow.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fillyo

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
Wow... I went through several Storms, and I thought it was great that they 2 day'd everything, and customer service was great, I have never had any issues with Verizon in regards to customer service, maybe you just got a bad rep.

broadwayblues

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
They don't keep replacement units in the store anymore. I was told this was a cost-savings move, and if I remember right, it was around the time that the Blackberry Bold was released.

Sorry that you are having so much trouble with your Thunderbolt. My local corp. store is an Alltel store that converted over to a Verizon one, and they really don't know anything there.

I just call the 800 number whenever I have any problem with my phones. I have had much better luck with the main number rather than the store.

zachnelson

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
They don't keep replacement units in the store anymore. I was told this was a cost-savings move, and if I remember right, it was around the time that the Blackberry Bold was released.

Sorry that you are having so much trouble with your Thunderbolt. My local corp. store is an Alltel store that converted over to a Verizon one, and they really don't know anything there.

I just call the 800 number whenever I have any problem with my phones. I have had much better luck with the main number rather than the store.

I'll probably just have to do this from now on, although the manager was nice, the in store reps are clueless.

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
At least its not AT&T. If there's a warranty service center within driving distance, they'll refuse to ship you one. There was a WSC about two hours from my house, and none of the local stores would have them ship me a replacement because of it.

LBTRS

May 1, 2010
Visit site
Knock on wood...I've had 8 smartphones over the last three years and have never had to replace one. I can't believe the same people continue to have problems with every phone they receive. And we wonder why they are so expensive???

Reactions: fyrekraker

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
This is nothing new, from what I was told by a rep they are cracking down on things that you can and can not get your phone replaced over. It was costing them a fortune when reps would replace a phone at the drop of a hat over something small or that they should not have been replaced over (ie worn charging port, or physical damage).

Also if you get a phone replaced and they cant find anything wrong with it other than some physical defects on the outside you will be charged for the refurb (I believe $99 for feature phones and $299 for smart phones). This is designed to combat the I dropped my phone and it has a scratch on it so I will go to the store and complain about a software bug so they give me a new one phenomenon.

I first heard about this from a rep about a month and a half ago (Thunderbolt launch day) and saw the info leak on this site a couple weeks later.

THIS DOES NOT EFFECT PHONES REPLACED DURING THE 14 DAY RETURN PERIOD as those people are eligible for a new in retail box replacement.

iLLusive

Vzw Staff
May 11, 2010
Visit site
VZWRocks do you have direct link to where the contract details list they have right to charge you for a replacement device if they deem it not qualified. Also if they charge you for the refurbished device and you already paid for the orginal device by law do they not have to send you back the other device and give you some time to send back the refurb to not be charged?

Totally see what they do this but shouldn't the process to get a replacement device IE: Better Customer Service training or stricker requirements as to what is valid reason to honor a replacement device happen with them first and foremost? Just can not seem them legally being able to say hey some random warehouse guy who knows nothing about phones did not see any problem with your device so we charged your acct $300 enjoy!

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
VZWRocks do you have direct link to where the contract details list they have right to charge you for a replacement device if they deem it not qualified. Also if they charge you for the refurbished device and you already paid for the orginal device by law do they not have to send you back the other device and give you some time to send back the refurb to not be charged?

Totally see what they do this but shouldn't the process to get a replacement device IE: Better Customer Service training or stricker requirements as to what is valid reason to honor a replacement device happen with them first and foremost? Just can not seem them legally being able to say hey some random warehouse guy who knows nothing about phones did not see any problem with your device so we charged your acct $300 enjoy!

This kind of thing is something that seems to be happening more often with Verizon. They are becoming increasingly anti customer. The get rid of NE2, annual upgrades, 1 year contracts, & cut the trial period to 14 days. Basically you have 2 choices, 2 year contract or full retail.

I was told 3 weeks ago that all these changes will allow them to streamline their service and be more flexible with the customer. As an example she said if you need a phone replaced (after the 1 year warranty) or are looking to have your upgrade moved up a little, they will be more apt to grant it. So today I called in to have one of our lines moved up (their upgrade date is May 30th) so he could get a Cert Pre-Owned Incredible before they're gone. I explained that the only reason I wanted the date moved up is I doubted the CPO Incredible would be available by the time the 30th rolled around. It took an hour on the phone, relaying what was told to me 3 weeks ago, and threatening to take my business elsewhere to get them to move the upgrade date up 26 days. So much for being flexible.

Now if someone pays $200 for a phone, has an issue, but Verizon doesn't feel it's worthy of a replacement, they charge an additional $299. So now they are left with a used phone that ends up costing them $499. I agree if they don't think the issue is worhty of a replacement, they should send the original device back. At least then the customer could sell it and try to recover their cost.

I fear if they keep changing & not for the better I might have to try another carrier or go to a prepaid cell. Sucks because they have great coverage but at some point it's not worth it.

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site

No I don't have any links to contracts but what makes you think it would be a random warehouse guy? What do you think they do with those defective phones? They are sent to be wiped, tested, and as needed refurbished. You don't think they could track the IEMI of a device returned as defective that wasn't back to the last account it was attached to? You are not charged the cost of the device but rather an "equipment reclamation fee" or something like that. If they charged you for the device (ie when you request a replacement and never send back the first one) it is the full retail value of the phone anywhere from $400-600).

There was an article about it (I believe here on AC) about a month ago when the info leaked. I just spent about 10 minutes looking for it but I guess I am tired because I didn't find it ...

And yes they should train their people better and given that they have to go through FOUR WEEKS of training when they are hired it constantly amazes me the number of them who are dumb as posts.

LBTRS

May 1, 2010
Visit site
They are becoming increasingly anti customer.

Anti customer for needing to make a profit? It's a company in business to make a profit not a charity organization.

I recently read of a guy on the HTC Incredible forum that is on his 8th Incredible as he claims each one has been defective and he now needs to replace his 8th one with a 9th because it is defective also. COME ON, GIVE ME A BREAK.

They change these policies because people take advantage of the ones that benefit customers. How many people around here do you see that call up and bug Verizon for an "early upgrade" for no reason what so ever other than wanting a new phone? Why should Verizon have to cut into their profits and make exceptions for people who want a new device but don't want to abide by the rules of the program?

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Anti customer for needing to make a profit? It's a company in business to make a profit not a charity organization.

I recently read of a guy on the HTC Incredible forum that is on his 8th Incredible as he claims each one has been defective and he now needs to replace his 8th one with a 9th because it is defective also. COME ON, GIVE ME A BREAK.

They change these policies because people take advantage of the ones that benefit customers. How many people around here do you see that call up and bug Verizon for an "early upgrade" for no reason what so ever other than wanting a new phone? Why should Verizon have to cut into their profits and make exceptions for people who want a new device but don't want to abide by the rules of the program?

By anti customer I was talking about basically taking away every option but two. Before if you wanted to upgrade every year, you had 3 options, retail, annual upgrade, & 1 year contract. Now you have to alternate getting a 2 year contract the first year, retail the next, then 2 year, etc.

I'm not talking about trying to wring every last deal out of Verizon. I'm talking about working with the customer. Have some people abused this? Yes. But Verizon knows which ones have, so why punish everyone when they should be punishing those who are abusing it?

The guy you referred to on his 8th phone and wanting a 9th is ludicrous. But Verizon should have put a stop to that with him or anyone else who does that, not just say alright no one can upgrade early anymore. After 3 devices having the same problem they should have swapped him out to different phone. After 5 they should have started charging him. If anything though, that's on Verizon. They shipped the phone out to him. Is it your or my fault that that situation happened? No, it's the Rep's who approved the replacements. They should have looked into his history and seen what was going on and put a stop to it.

As far as early upgrades, Verizon contacted a friend of mine when the Droid X released (July 2, 2010) and offered him an upgrade to the X. He bought the OG Droid in December 2009 on a 2 year contract. VERIZON offered to let him upgrade 13 months early, he didn't call in and beg and plead, THEY contacted him. So I contact them and ask if they can move the upgrade date up (which I was told earlier wouldn't be an issue) only 26 days and they make me fight for it. Before this I had never asked to get an upgrade date moved up.

If Verizon is having a problem making profit it's their own fault. They're the ones who shipped out the multiple phones and gave people free months of service. In the end it falls on them to approve or deny, or at least reign in ther reps who are doing so. Instead of managing their employees they take away any perks their customers get because a few abused the system and Verizon let them.

zachnelson

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
By anti customer I was talking about basically taking away every option but two. Before if you wanted to upgrade every year, you had 3 options, retail, annual upgrade, & 1 year contract. Now you have to alternate getting a 2 year contract the first year, retail the next, then 2 year, etc.

I'm not talking about trying to wring every last deal out of Verizon. I'm talking about working with the customer. Have some people abused this? Yes. But Verizon knows which ones have, so why punish everyone when they should be punishing those who are abusing it?

The guy you referred to on his 8th phone and wanting a 9th is ludicrous. But Verizon should have put a stop to that with him or anyone else who does that, not just say alright no one can upgrade early anymore. After 3 devices having the same problem they should have swapped him out to different phone. After 5 they should have started charging him. If anything though, that's on Verizon. They shipped the phone out to him. Is it your or my fault that that situation happened? No, it's the Rep's who approved the replacements. They should have looked into his history and seen what was going on and put a stop to it.

As far as early upgrades, Verizon contacted a friend of mine when the Droid X released (July 2, 2010) and offered him an upgrade to the X. He bought the OG Droid in December 2009 on a 2 year contract. VERIZON offered to let him upgrade 13 months early, he didn't call in and beg and plead, THEY contacted him. So I contact them and ask if they can move the upgrade date up (which I was told earlier wouldn't be an issue) only 26 days and they make me fight for it. Before this I had never asked to get an upgrade date moved up.

If Verizon is having a problem making profit it's their own fault. They're the ones who shipped out the multiple phones and gave people free months of service. In the end it falls on them to approve or deny, or at least reign in ther reps who are doing so. Instead of managing their employees they take away any perks their customers get because a few abused the system and Verizon let them.

Why should I have to pay money? Theoretically, the thunderbolt I receive today will be my 4th. So since I keep having problems with a phone that's battery cant last me 3 hours, I should have to pay? That is ludicrous.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Why should I have to pay money? Theoretically, the thunderbolt I receive today will be my 4th. So since I keep having problems with a phone that's battery cant last me 3 hours, I should have to pay? That is ludicrous.

First, how will this be your fourth phone if you never received the third one? I suppose your reasoning that they have sent you 4, but the third one was probably sent back to them unopened. In that case the phone can be sold as new, so that one wouldn't really count.

In your case you have had different issues with a phone that's been out less than 2 months. Any phone is going to have issues in it's first few months.

It needs to be on a case by case basis. Continually replacing a phone with the same issue is when the substitution to a new phone or charging for replacements should occur. Most states have a "lemon law". Ususally it's at 3, in otherwords if you have 3 products that have the same defect they should try to switch you to a different product.

But the Incredible that the guy had replaced 8 times & is looking for his 9th has been out for a year. That is ridiculous that they haven't tried to get him to a different phone. If he refuses to try a different phone it should be on him. I mean, at what point do you just say I have no luck with this device and need to move on to something else.

Verizon employees need to do a better job of assessing whether or not a device warrants replacing. Some reps won't let you replace them for a good reason, while others will replace them at the drop of a hat. That's where the problem is.

Reactions: tluv004

zachnelson

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
First, how will this be your fourth phone if you never received the third one? I suppose your reasoning that they have sent you 4, but the third one was probably sent back to them unopened. In that case the phone can be sold as new, so that one wouldn't really count.

In your case you have had different issues with a phone that's been out less than 2 months. Any phone is going to have issues in it's first few months.

It needs to be on a case by case basis. Continually replacing a phone with the same issue is when the substitution to a new phone or charging for replacements should occur. Most states have a "lemon law". Ususally it's at 3, in otherwords if you have 3 products that have the same defect they should try to switch you to a different product.

But the Incredible that the guy had replaced 8 times & is looking for his 9th has been out for a year. That is ridiculous that they haven't tried to get him to a different phone. If he refuses to try a different phone it should be on him. I mean, at what point do you just say I have no luck with this device and need to move on to something else.

Verizon employees need to do a better job of assessing whether or not a device warrants replacing. Some reps won't let you replace them for a good reason, while others will replace them at the drop of a hat. That's where the problem is.

Well I think a defective screen and a 2 hour battery life/110 degree Fahrenheit phone are two reasons for a justifiable replacement.

dp3103

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
I saw that you said your Tbolt had a defective screen. I am having the same problem. It worked great for the first 30 days and then all of a sudden the screen stopped working correctly. It wouldn't respond to my touch, typing was impossible, and the notification bar would randomly come down even if I wasn't touching the screen. I went to Best Buy where I bought the phone to get it fixed or get a replacement and they said since it was past the 30 days that I could either have them ship it to get fixed, or I could go to a corporate store. The corp. store immediately saw the problem, but said they had to ship me a replacement. When I asked if it was a new one, she said it was going to be a refurbished phone (which I wasn't happy about). I should have the replacement Monday so I'm anxious to see the condition of the replacement. I've checked all the forums and haven't found anyone to have a similar problem, so I was a little relieved when I saw your message to know that I'm not the only one with this problem!

zachnelson

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
I saw that you said your Tbolt had a defective screen. I am having the same problem. It worked great for the first 30 days and then all of a sudden the screen stopped working correctly. It wouldn't respond to my touch, typing was impossible, and the notification bar would randomly come down even if I wasn't touching the screen. I went to Best Buy where I bought the phone to get it fixed or get a replacement and they said since it was past the 30 days that I could either have them ship it to get fixed, or I could go to a corporate store. The corp. store immediately saw the problem, but said they had to ship me a replacement. When I asked if it was a new one, she said it was going to be a refurbished phone (which I wasn't happy about). I should have the replacement Monday so I'm anxious to see the condition of the replacement. I've checked all the forums and haven't found anyone to have a similar problem, so I was a little relieved when I saw your message to know that I'm not the only one with this problem!

Your first replacement *should* be a new device, where as replacements there after are refurbished. At least, thats what the store associate told me when I got my first replacement.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC