Ridiculous Verizon Call Center Experience

zachnelson

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
Although this doesn't directly relate to the thunderbolt, I'll tell you anyway:

I *was* expecting my replacement thunderbolt to be delivered today, so yesterday I called to get the tracking number for the package, and I wrote it down. However I never got around to actually checking the FedEx website and somehow lost the paper.

Anyway today I called back up and asked for the tracking number, and the employee required that he speak to the account holder, even though I had provided the account holders last 4 SSN, address, name, phone number etc. He said his computer wouldn't allow him access to the tracking number without the account holder on the line. I told him I would just hang up and try a different rep. So, I did, and low-and-behold the next rep didn't even ask me my address or any personal information, he just gave me the tracking number.

Quality control much?

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I do not understand why this is considered "ridiculous" as you put it. Even if you have the information, you're not on the account as an Account Manager thus you would need permission to talk. My best friend has me on her account so I'm able to discuss any matters that I wish with Verizon for her as she isn't fond of dealing with customer service as she does it all day at work. You're just mad that the original representative did their job which is exactly what every representative was supposed to do.

nerdydesi

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
Hmm, not sure about giving tracking info to non-account members. I work as tech support for VZW at a call center currently. I can definitely help non-account holders with troubleshooting of their phones, but of course for plan changes, ordering equipment, sending out a CLNR, etc. we would need an account holder on the line. I will admit at times, I have forgotten to do this and for instance, would order a CLNR even for a non-account holder.

aBoldPatriotsFan

Android Enthusiast
Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
But what i don't understand is. If when you go into a store to access the account you need to show ID. When you call if you know the info on the account say (last four of social, account password and name of the account holder) you can gain full access. Say the name is John Smith a males name. Any male friend or family member can simply say yup this is John Smith and the password is blah blah and gain full control. Am i correct. How else other than that would you need to verify its the account holder. When i call i provide my Password and full name. After that i never get asked last four of social or anything else for that matter. Im the account holder by the way.

CynicalDreams81

Nov 27, 2009
Visit site
This shows account security is not being held. A few years ago I took VZW CS calls through a third party company and we were required to only speak to the account holder or FAC. This shows that VZW CS is slipping since almost all third party centers are gone. They're not holding true to account security, even if its a tracking number. I wonder what other info is being released.

Reactions: Chrisy

zachnelson

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
This shows account security is not being held. A few years ago I took VZW CS calls through a third party company and we were required to only speak to the account holder or FAC. This shows that VZW CS is slipping since almost all third party centers are gone. They're not holding true to account security, even if its a tracking number. I wonder what other info is being released.

Exactly what I was getting at. I wasn't complaining about having to speak to the account holder. I was saying its sad I can get different things out of different people.

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
It's not just VZW... TMO has similar issues... and I did not stay on AT&T's long enough to find out all their disfunctionalities.

Puterguru

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site

This is ridiculous in my opinion. How many of you on a daily basis get asked to see id on your credit card, how many of the cashiers, ask for your id or even bother to see that it is signed. OMG account security is slipping! Almost anyone can use my CC because none of the cashiers are asking for ID!
This happens DAILY, yet someone felt the need to come here and post that it is VERIZON IS SLIPPING because the second person contacted didn't care if it were the account holder or not.

Chrisy

Banned
Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Getting the last four or someone social is so easy. I wish there was more security with VZW, stores banks etc. I work in retail and customers process their own payments. We never ask for ID, and we're not told to. It's ridiculous to me. I wish we could ask to see it. If I notice that the customer has "see ID" on their card I ask to see it. However, most time I can't see the back of their card. And you'd be surprised how many people ***** when you do ask to see ID for any reason. They get insulted. Is rather the security.

The first rep did the right thing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol