Hello there!

MikeJJuliano

May 10, 2011
Visit site
Hi, I'm new to the forums (as you can most likely tell by the post count of 1), and I'm looking into purchasing a Thunderbolt this weekend. I'm upgrading from an LG EnV Touch (queue choir music) so I'm already aware that this is going to be quite the leap in quality, but I have a few questions that I was hoping to get answered.

1. Is Skype actually functional? I'm finding conflicting answers online, and articles about a leaked pre-release build, but is there an official, functional, video-calling Skype app available now? And if so, how does it get along with iPhone 4 versions of Skype?

2. I've heard that the battery life is iffy on the TB. I've also, however, heard that this issue has improved (though not entirely) since the phone's release. What's it typically like right now, and is there actually any technique to improving it? I've heard things like "Charge your phone fully before using it" and then I've also heard "Let it fully die before charging it", so I'm a little conflicted.

3. Is the 720p video recording actually shaky or is it just the YouTube conversion?

and...

4. I saw a picture with the kickstand positioned in a way that allowed for a vertical view, is this actually possible..without breaking the phone, of course?

Thank you very much in advance, and (with any luck) I hope to become an Android user and frequent poster on this forum! :D

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
First, welcome.

1. I personally have not loaded the un-official version of Skype on the Thunderbolt... I would think you might want to search the Blog for Phil's review.

2. Never let the battery die on the new phones... Never ever do that... charge it often and as much as possible.

3. I've not recorded a video with my Tbolt yet, so I can not speak to that.

4. The kickstand works great in both directions... vertical or horizontal.

SUB-dawg

Nexus Lover
Dec 5, 2010
Visit site
First, welcome.

1. I personally have not loaded the un-official version of Skype on the Thunderbolt... I would think you might want to search the Blog for Phil's review.

2. Never let the battery die on the new phones... Never ever do that... charge it often and as much as possible.

3. I've not recorded a video with my Tbolt yet, so I can not speak to that.

4. The kickstand works great in both directions... vertical or horizontal.

for the video one, it is a little shaky but not a lot.

realitydigg

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
Some answers below

1. Is Skype actually functional? I'm finding conflicting answers online, and articles about a leaked pre-release build, but is there an official, functional, video-calling Skype app available now? And if so, how does it get along with iPhone 4 versions of Skype?

No official skype for this phone yet. It should be coming, but maybe they have been working on being acquired by Microsoft instead :)

2. I've heard that the battery life is iffy on the TB. I've also, however, heard that this issue has improved (though not entirely) since the phone's release. What's it typically like right now, and is there actually any technique to improving it? I've heard things like "Charge your phone fully before using it" and then I've also heard "Let it fully die before charging it", so I'm a little conflicted.

My battery life ranges from iffy to good. Some days i am trending to 22 hours, others with heavy use i can drain it in 6-10. I am finding that i can manage it. You can always get a spare, or extended battery, but so far so good for me.

3. Is the 720p video recording actually shaky or is it just the YouTube conversion?

Audio issues on the video are well documented. A fix is supposedly on the way

and...

4. I saw a picture with the kickstand positioned in a way that allowed for a vertical view, is this actually possible..without breaking the phone, of course?

Vertical works. I wouldn't expect it to stand up in heavy wind.

All and all a great phone. If you have the patience to wait for some fixes it will be an awesome phone

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech