Light Leak

johnnyshinta

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
below the piano black area there is a gray area. right at that edge under the capacitive buttons i have a small light leak. if you look at the phone at the right angle you can see it in the crack around the screen.

doesn't bother me but could that let dust under the screen?

the only way i can see it is if i look at the screen sideways. meaning my line of sight is parallel with the screen from the left side of the phone

johnnyshinta

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
yeah the post you referenced looks like a different issue.

i might get some black apoxy and just put a tiny bit there to seal.

@Chrsy, do you see any light leak around the edge on the bottom of the screen?

Chrisy

Banned
Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Yes, I see two small light leaks over the Menu and Back Arrow. I can only see it if I look at a certain angle in a dark room. It seems sealed though when I run my fingernail over it.

Anubis

Oct 9, 2009
Visit site
I had a little dot at the bottom of mine. I went to Autozone and bought a tube of Permatex Black Silicone Adhesive Sealant, used a toothpick to dot it in.

Anubis

Oct 9, 2009
Visit site
Yes, I see two small light leaks over the Menu and Back Arrow. I can only see it if I look at a certain angle in a dark room. It seems sealed though when I run my fingernail over it.

I think know what you are taking about. Is that actually leakage, In that thread U linked mine was like the persons in post 14, I think the 2 above the Menu and Back is like what the pic in post 58 of that thread.

I didn't think that was actually leakage since it was like that on my Hero,Incredible and Thunderbolt. I figured thats just how HTC builds them on purpose lol

johnnyshinta

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
i'm not referring to being able to see the backlight around the display. i'm talking about around the edge of the actual screen. below the capacitive buttons.

Anubis

Oct 9, 2009
Visit site
i'm not referring to being able to see the backlight around the display. i'm talking about around the edge of the actual screen. below the capacitive buttons.
Yeah thats where mine was. I had a dot right under the screen where it meets the shell of the phone, below the Back Arrow. I used that Silicone I mentioned and it took care of it and can't tell anything was done.

I used a toothpick and slightly dipped it in the silicone and lifted it straight out so it made a super thin hair like string of the silicone hanging off the toothpick then carefully put it into the tiny spot between the body and glass, had to repeat a few times and keep checking in a dark room.

johnnyshinta

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
yeah mine is right under the back button as well. and its a little inconsistent. its there most of the time. but just now i turned the screen on and couldn't see it. turned it off then on and its back. and now its there after repeating 5 times.

but it seems like it might just be part of the phone if its in the same exact spot. doubt we both got the exact same defect.

still gonna get some epoxy tho

johnnyshinta

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
just realized the leak is from the capacitive buttons not the display. if i'm in a well lit area the capacitive buttons aren't illuminated and there is no leak. dark area and it shows up. so maybe its not going to lead to dust under screen

Anubis

Oct 9, 2009
Visit site
Well i have no idea if dust can get in or not. I also believe the leak i had was coming from the light source of the capacitive buttons. Myself. I wasn't worried about dust getting in I was just annoyed by the that little dot of light in darker settings lol.

Unless you do something crazy with the stuff I don't think it can hurt to try. The silicone I used gives you a good 5 minutes to work with it before it sets. I had a soft VERY LIGHTLY damp microfiber towel to wipe off any bit i got on the screen by accident, which didn't happen. Can't even tell I did any thing. I'm looking at it closely now and I know it was under the back button but i can't tell the exact spot I used it.

If you do fix it, just go slow,be careful and don't rush.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy