kalopsia

Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
better camera
more storage for those subsequently better pictures and movies
bigger screen
faster data connection
has a nifty little kickstand so you can watch your videos easier

i ono, that's what i told my brother who was gonna get an iPhone (basically word for word) and it convinced him to get a tbolt.

Mortiel

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
One word: Widgets.

iPhone only shows shortcuts to applications. Android allows you to put widgets on your homescreens to see the information you want without having to open a single application.

Forgetful

Energy hoarder
Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Honestly for someone who is just interested in a smartphone out of the box and doesn't want to tweak/customize or fight with rogue battery issues, a Iphone is the better product. Some people are better off with Android and some are not, I've come to accept that.

If I was picking out a smartphone for a 40-50 year old woman I'd probably recommend a iphone. Unless she was a tech person or specifically needed something android offered it would probably be a better decision.

Of course the screen size might not be best for an older person...

Reactions: tino72

RetiredJedi

Jul 13, 2010
jedi-soljah.iwarp.com
Honestly for someone who is just interested in a smartphone out of the box and doesn't want to tweak/customize or fight with rogue battery issues, a Iphone is the better product. Some people are better off with Android and some are not, I've come to accept that.

If I was picking out a smartphone for a 40-50 year old woman I'd probably recommend a iphone. Unless she was a tech person or specifically needed something android offered it would probably be a better decision.

I have to agree with you especially if the person doesn't have much tech knowledge then an easy, out of the box smartphone would be better and less headache.

CynicalDreams81

Nov 27, 2009
Visit site
My mother is almost 60, not tech savy (but does know how to get her way around on a computer on a basic level) and has a Droid2 global. She will at times have a question or two but she has no problems using it. After she saw my Thunderbolt she is interested in possibly getting one cause of the larger screen. She even taught herself how to download apps from the market but is scared to, LOL.

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site

On other words those who are too lazy to spend a little time to learn and then in the long run get more out of their devices because ultimately despite Apple's quantity of apps, ultimately you can do more and be more efficient/productive on Android.

Rem

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
I'll bite my tongue against the whole "girl terms" thing but Forgetful and Jedi raise a good point: Android is obviously better for us but it may not be for your mother.

My parents are both in their 50s and to say that they are not tech-savvy would be an understatement. I gave them the general pros and cons like screen size, battery life, widgets and so on, but the real reason they both ended up with Android phones is that they know it's what I use and that they can call me up whenever they have problems.

Mortiel

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
I suppose a girl might say something like:

"Android phones are, like, totally totally hot! And with this fab purple case, it, like totally matches my purse and shoes! Can you believe what Stacy looked like with that iPhone? It was like, oh mygod! Those were cool, like ages ago."
;P

Win. I'm still on the floor laughing... (Yes, typing is rather difficult rolling on the floor)

cegabq

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site

"Android phones are, like, totally totally hot! And with this fab purple case, it, like totally matches my purse and shoes! Can you believe what Stacy looked like with that iPhone? It was like, oh mygod! Those were cool, like ages ago."
;P

This "girl" would never in her life say anything like that!

Comineeyeaha

Apr 11, 2010
Visit site
I'll bite my tongue against the whole "girl terms" thing but Forgetful and Jedi raise a good point: Android is obviously better for us but it may not be for your mother.

My parents are both in their 50s and to say that they are not tech-savvy would be an understatement. I gave them the general pros and cons like screen size, battery life, widgets and so on, but the real reason they both ended up with Android phones is that they know it's what I use and that they can call me up whenever they have problems.

That's why people in my family are on Android. The thing a lot of us forget about is that just because you CAN get super technical with Android doesn't mean you have to in order to enjoy it. Now, I will also agree with others who say that the iPhone is perfect for certain people. I'd say it has the widest range of types of people attracted with it. It's a powerful device, but it's SOOOO EASY at the same time. My mom got an iPod Touch and hasn't had to ask me a single question about it, and she's technically challenged.

It's all about choice and preference.

cq

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
My parents are not computer savvy at all. ITunes itself would have ruined the iPhone / ipad experience. They both have Androids and are quite happy (surprising even to me). In addition, the free Google maps navigation wins a lot of people over, especially the non tech savvy.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

chuckh0308

Apr 3, 2011
www.welcomehomeseattle.com
Not sure what to say, mostly because it seems that usually anyone thinking of an iPhone is already convinced and completely sold. Android could cure cancer, end child abuse, and provide food for everyone in the world, but they would still want the iPhone.

My partner is a perfect example. He is a current iPhone 3G user who was thinking about switching to Android or waiting for the iPhone 5 on VZW (for some reason the iP4 isn't good enough I guess?). Anyway, he admitted that the TB was massively faster, he admitted that the web browser is better, he admitted that the FB app is better, he admitted that the public transit app is better, he admitted that Google maps for Android is better, he admitted that all the apps he uses on the iPhone are also available on the TB, and he really digs the widgets and animated wallpapers.

Worse yet, he fights with the iPhone 3G all the time. It's a POS, it always has been nothing but trouble...abysmal call quality, dropped calls, charging problems, app/sync problems, BT problems, all kinds of things. Just watching YouTube videos is a strange experience...it takes them forever to load then they break up, and then he has to tap on the screen about 15 times to get them to stop once they do play...lol! And again, it has always been trouble, from the first week.

But you know what? He still can't make the leap and is back to talking about getting a new iPhone. There was a bit of interest in Android for a few days, but now it's completely gone. I seriously don't get it. The times I've used his phone I wanted to throw it under a bus. But he still wants another iPhone...

I have friends who are the same way. They complain and complain about whatever current iPhone they have is, but they keep buying the next model because, well, it's an Apple iPhone! It's the stupid names, that's all it is. i this, i that. If the iPhone were made exactly as it is, but labeled "Samsung Awesome" it wouldn't sell like it does. I don't get it...

Reactions: LLacle and mdoyal1

Mike_is_Mike

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
Since I can't do it without getting all technical.

Go.

Nothing to explain - it isn't better.

Does your mom like to USE her phone - or spend all her waking hours tweaking her phone to get it to work properly?

Does your mom like to be able use her phone ALL DAY without re-charging it twice a day?

Why not just let her use a phone that works correctly right out of the box?

sicario666

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
I agree with Mike in some ways. I just went through your same scenario recently with my mom. She wanted a smartphone and wasn't sure what to go with. I'm obviously an Android guy so I told her to go with the Tbolt. A real simple way to do it,which is what I did. Go to VZWs website and print out comparisons between the iPhones and Android devices available. Just simply explain to her what the pros and cons of each value are. After looking at all of the "in hand" paperwork my mom decided to go with a Tbolt and she's very happy with it. A good selling point is removable batteries and memory. You aren't in a fixed situation like you would be with an iPhone. I can admit that battery life will more than likely be better with an iPhone, but after learning the Android system, ease of operation and the power she'll have in her pocket/purse. I believe the Android choice will help her and you sleep better at night.

TboltMeatclaws-talkatap

EisBlade

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site

;P

Hahahahahaaa

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci