Just got Thunderbolt..please help!

Tibby127

May 12, 2011
Visit site
I just traded in my BBerry Storm for a Thunderbolt! I already know it was a GREAT decision, however I am new to the android software and need help figuring out a few things that have me pretty frustrated! First, I mainly use Netscape mail and I can't seem to figure out how to set it up so when I click on my "mail" icon it shows up..I keep getting an error message..anyone else use netscape?

Also..this is probably a silly question but how do you close a program? just hit the back button? I feel like that leaves it open and slows down my phone. I have the Task Killer but wasn't sure if there was another way to close them.

I have Verizon, and everytime I download VZW Tones from Market I get an error message..thats where all my ringtones are and Id like to get them back without paying for them.

I know this is a lot..but if anyone can answer any of my questions Id really appreciate it!!

~~Tibby~~

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Welcome to AC Tibby! Since you have some very device-specific questions, I'm going to move your thread to the Thunderbolt forum where you should be able to get some help. Good luck :)

0pusX

May 27, 2010
Visit site
Tibby -

I don't know about the Netscape mail....hopefully someone else can answer that.

As far as exiting programs.......the majority of programs will "close" just by pushing the back button. You could always press the menu button and see if there is an exit option.

For your ringtones...... I suggest downloading a ringtone app from the market for FREE ribgtones. Many people use the app Zedge.

Reactions: nate44

broadwayblues

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
I just traded in my BBerry Storm for a Thunderbolt! I already know it was a GREAT decision, however I am new to the android software and need help figuring out a few things that have me pretty frustrated! First, I mainly use Netscape mail and I can't seem to figure out how to set it up so when I click on my "mail" icon it shows up..I keep getting an error message..anyone else use netscape?

Also..this is probably a silly question but how do you close a program? just hit the back button? I feel like that leaves it open and slows down my phone. I have the Task Killer but wasn't sure if there was another way to close them.

I have Verizon, and everytime I download VZW Tones from Market I get an error message..thats where all my ringtones are and Id like to get them back without paying for them.

I know this is a lot..but if anyone can answer any of my questions Id really appreciate it!!

~~Tibby~~

1. Not to sound like a snob here, but why are you using Netscape mail? :) Seriously, look into getting a Gmail account! Sorry I don't have anything constructive to add here, but the integration with Gmail is amazing. You get your email pushed to your phone instantly, and can compose email on your phone and finish it on your computer or vice versa. Also, you don't ever really need to delete any of your email, ever. I still reference email from 2006. Really handy. I mean you got a Google phone, might as well go all in.

Close programs by hitting the back button, or the home button. Even apps that have an 'end program' button are there mostly for show. Back in the day, before Froyo, task killers were useful, but are actually harmful now. Froyo manages your apps and processes that are running very well. If there are processes that the OS needs, and you kill them, the OS is just going to open them again. Also, most of the processes that are there are there just hanging out, not using any resources. I know what you are thinking, I too came from Blackberry 9650 Bold. Just know that the process of killing apps and having the OS put them back up uses more battery than just leaving them alone.

As far as your tones go, I would call Verizon about that. I had tones from one phone that didn't work with my then new phone, and they gave me a credit on my bill. I just go to crackberry.com and download ringtones and sounds from them, and you can put anything that you want on your SD card. Just make a folder called music and put your mp3s and such in there.

Sorry for the long post, but I really hated my Blackberry once I realized that I was under RIM's spell. Hope this helps a bit, and welcome to the cool kids club! :cool:

Reactions: nate44

aBoldPatriotsFan

Android Enthusiast
Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Broadwayblues,

You are so right! Since switching from bb to android i didn't know what it was. Something that i knew was wrong. You have put it in perspective! I was in a spell. Geez was i ever brainwashed. And to think that you kept telling yourself they will get better. They never did but you kept your false hopes! Sorry guys but i am glad to be hear.

Sent from Tapatalk using my ThunderBolt

Tibby127

May 12, 2011
Visit site
BROADWAYBLUES haha your not a snob..I do have Gmail but I still use Netscape for a lot of things..Ive had it forever lol. So are you saying Task Killer is bad to have? What is Froyo?? As for ringtones..I dont think its that the songs don't work with my phone..I cant even get VZW Tones to work..I download it and get an error every time, I cant even open the program.

any and all thoughts are welcome!
~~Tibby~~

broadwayblues

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
BROADWAYBLUES haha your not a snob..I do have Gmail but I still use Netscape for a lot of things..Ive had it forever lol. So are you saying Task Killer is bad to have? What is Froyo?? As for ringtones..I dont think its that the songs don't work with my phone..I cant even get VZW Tones to work..I download it and get an error every time, I cant even open the program.

any and all thoughts are welcome!
~~Tibby~~

Still not sure about the Netscape mail settings, but try this link: www.androidhow2.com

Google likes to name their Android releases after desserts. So far there has been cupcake, doughnut, eclair, FroYo (FROzen YOgurt,) Gingerbread, Honeycomb (Tablets only) and the just-announced Ice Cream Sandwich.

We are using Froyo, aka Android 2.2

So yeah, task killers are bad--http://www.androidcentral.com/carriers-still-pushing-task-killers

Like I said, I don't think there is anything that you can do about the Verizon tones, I would call them and complain. See what happens, then tell us what you find out.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
knowledge is power