Tunderbolt restarting

tekhna

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Look, guys, there's no point trying to figure out which app is causing the problem, we know it's the radio. It's pretty clearly the radio. It's been well documented over at XDA that rooted users immediately after installing the new update began getting random reboots, with no prior reboots using the stock radio. Now non-rooted, stock users are reporting the exact same thing after the new radio. Put the two together. It's the radio.

Reactions: Chrisy

bcoley

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
Since the OTA, I've had one random restart -- while TB rested in dashboard cradle running Google Navigation. No obvious battery effects, either positive or negative.

I have experienced a increase in the time it takes to find the GPS signal -- now over a minute, where before the OTA, I averaged 25-35 seconds.

I experienced two other GPS related oddities. Once, I put the phone in the cradle - which had *always* automatically put the device into navigation mode - but the TB stayed on the home screen. One other time, I took the device out of its cradle, and found the home button did not exit Navigation. Those incidents occurred only once each.

For what it's worth,
Bill

braxtoq

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
I updpated my Bolt late yesterday and it rebooted about an hour later while Navigation was running and Bluetooth connected to my hands free device. I shut the device down at night, and this morning after I turned it back on, it rebooted. I called Verizon and was instructed to do a factory reset. I did the factory reset and so far so good.
Scratch that, factory reset was useless, still rebooting and shutting down completely on its own!

Reactions: Chrisy

androidguy916

Oct 10, 2010
Visit site
I'm now having the issue where the phone just shuts off, no reboot, just shuts off as if the battery was pulled. This never happened before the OTA. Also, my battery life went from 16 to 20 hours consistently now down to 7 if I'm lucky. No new apps, no settings changes, nothing different. I called VZW support and the guy told me he hadn't heard of any of these issues. He had no record of these complaints. I said that was odd since every Thunderbolt forum is full of these complaints. In retrospect, I would not have done the update if I had known these issues were going on. I also asked if it was possible to roll back the update and he said they have no information on doing that. I guess short of rooting my phone and finding the ROM with the older version I'm stuck with an unreliable phone. I'm quite frustrated as I'm sure many of you are.

Bill

Beezer1659

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
Just curious... Verizon tech support told me to run the phone in safe mode. Will that do anything? If the problem is the radio, safe mode won't stop the reboots right?

juju705

May 12, 2011
Visit site
This is annoying. I only got my TB on the 12th. I updated it yesterday, and it randomly rebooted today, about a minute after I 'missed' a call. I'm hoping it's the update (something that's potentially reversible) and I didn't end up with a dud phone.

prakash99

Aug 15, 2010
Visit site
I used to have random reboots about twice a week before OTA but I haven't had once since then. But it's just been a couple of days since the update so it's too soon to tell. However, my battery life has worsened since then.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

memphisboy

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
I took mine into the store after I called in over the phone and made sure they notated my account. I went into the store and they couldnt figure it out and decided to send me out another t-bolt by mail. If nothing else Im getting a newer phone to start fresh...hopefully it will come without the updated software.

tropper

Smarty Pants
Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
The new radio is the culprit. It has been out for over a month now for rooted users, and many have reported random reboots with it. The people who had these problems were able to revert back to the stock radio, or experiment with other combinations to address this issue. Unfortunately that's not an option for non-rooted users.
Well hate to tell ya this was a prob for people with stock radios before the update was ever leaked.

tropper

Smarty Pants
Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Look, guys, there's no point trying to figure out which app is causing the problem, we know it's the radio. It's pretty clearly the radio. It's been well documented over at XDA that rooted users immediately after installing the new update began getting random reboots, with no prior reboots using the stock radio. Now non-rooted, stock users are reporting the exact same thing after the new radio. Put the two together. It's the radio.

It was posted week one after launch that people were getting random reboots way before the update came out so that clearly means it isnt the new update
This was the OG thunderbolt is restarting thread http://forum.androidcentral.com/htc...underbolt-has-been-powering-off-suddenly.html

Last edited:

d1ez3

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site

anthony2558

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
mine as well no reboot/power down problem and now after the update its has those problems. Since the update about 3-4 reboots and 2-3 power downs with out rebooting....

Eng2011

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Yep, same here in NJ... had the phone since the launch day, but never had reboots until I installed the update. Now its restarting 3-4 times a day, usually when I am on the NJ turnpike, going in and out of 4G/3G coverage areas.

zomac

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
No reboots at all when I first got phone. Now it reboots 3 to 4 times a day. Also its randomly changing my wallpaper during these reboots.