"ERROR

service unavailable

check for Software Update under settings when service is available

I have full bars in a 4G LTE

what gives?!?!?!??!?!?!??!:confused:

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
it just may have not been rolled out to you in the cycle yet.....i would hold off anyway seems like there is a random reboot issue

trjnberry

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
I had trouble earlier today, trying to get this update to work. Then I rebooted the phone and tried again and it worked fine. So, you may want to reboot your phone and try that option. One other thing I did when it worked, is that I allowed the update to start on its own. There's a message that comes up, advising that it will start in 2 minutes or something, then you get to say OK, Defer, or reject. I did nothing on the time it worked. The prior times, I clicked the OK, it started the download, and then somewhere in the middle, it stopped. I think the reboot probably did the job, but just in case the other option helped, I mentioned it. Not rooted.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
if you don't see it, try 3g. if that doesn't work, you can try to put it in 3g rev a

From dialer
##778#
Edit mode
Modem settings
Rev a
Change to yes
Hit menu
Commit change

tcapote

Geek Freak
May 15, 2010
Visit site
"ERROR

service unavailable

check for Software Update under settings when service is available

I have full bars in a 4G LTE

what gives?!?!?!??!?!?!??!:confused:

Here is what I did on our two Thunderbolts:

1. Download the LTE OnOff application from the app store.
2. Launch LTE OnOff app and set the mode to "CDMA only". This will put the phone in 1x. Make a note of the default selection.
3. Check for updates now. You should be able to download the update.
4. After download completes, go back to the LTE OnOff app and put back to original cdma/LTE selection.
5. Once your back to 3G or 4G, check for updates and you should see the option to install the update!

Do this at your own risk, but it worked for me. Enjoy!

Reactions: h2opoloplyr_11

OC Nut

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
SoCal seems to be having problems downloading on 3G and 4G. I tried the 1G method (shown above) and it worked for me.

Mortiel

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
SoCal seems to be having problems downloading on 3G and 4G. I tried the 1G method (shown above) and it worked for me.

Just a quick note: 1XRTT is 2G, not 1G. 1G is analog, which is not used by any major cell providers.

Verizon's generations are as follows:
1G analog
2G 1XRTT (CDMA)
3G EV-DO (CDMA)
4G LTE (GSM)

nice Pants

May 13, 2011
Visit site

2. Launch LTE OnOff app and set the mode to "CDMA only". This will put the phone in 1x. Make a note of the default selection.
4. After download completes, go back to the LTE OnOff app and put back to original cdma/LTE selection.
5. Once your back to 3G or 4G, check for updates and you should see the option to install the update!

I was able to update using this method, thank you tcapote. I'm in socal btw

h2opoloplyr_11

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site

Thank you! been checking the update all day long....and it keeps giving me the error service unavailalble message.....but after folllowing your steps, i now have the OTA as well!!! Thanks again!

RetiredJedi

Jul 13, 2010
jedi-soljah.iwarp.com
I tried that method on my daughter's phone. It will check for new updates and nothing happens. After it is done checking I don't get any response, it just goes back to the status and Check New screen like nothing happened.

I want to add that we had to get her a new sim card the other day so I am wondering if that is a factor.

Chilly818

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
I had trouble earlier today, trying to get this update to work. Then I rebooted the phone and tried again and it worked fine. So, you may want to reboot your phone and try that option. One other thing I did when it worked, is that I allowed the update to start on its own. There's a message that comes up, advising that it will start in 2 minutes or something, then you get to say OK, Defer, or reject. I did nothing on the time it worked. The prior times, I clicked the OK, it started the download, and then somewhere in the middle, it stopped. I think the reboot probably did the job, but just in case the other option helped, I mentioned it. Not rooted.

STILL NOTHING after a batt. pull.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci