free wi-fi extended till June 16th

CodyAB30

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
Awesome. I dont have 4G in my area yet (Ive heard conflicting stories from 2 different reps, neither of which I think knows when it will roll out here), but even on 3G its just as good as my home internet which is WiMax, and most of the time faster, as well as mobile...This should give me more time to test it out in different areas....Great news if true.

Mortiel

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
As yesterday and today were my days off, I'll confirm tomorrow when I go back to work.

(I'll also note that I have WiMAX as my home internet, and 3G with VZW as is almost beats it... I have no idea why, but I get 2-3 Mbps with WiMAX, and around 1.5-1.8 with 3G on my Thunderbolt. I even tested the eHRPD speeds while on a call, and still the same results.)

project.in.process

May 18, 2010
Visit site
come ooonnnnnn VZW, make an announcement already!

what VZW will say: "we're happy to extend our mobile hotspot feature to our LTE customers free of charge until June 15th so they can continue using the nations fastest network."
what VZW means: "we're freaking clueless how much to charge you guys. keep using it until we can build a more comprehensive cost analysis. k thx bye"

Reactions: Chrisy

NotJustAPhone

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
It's very possible that the TBolt won't get an extension. If the free tethering/hotspot expires on May 15, the TBolt will have had the promo for two months after launch, which is twice as long as Droid Charge owners will get. I'm only holding out hope for an extension based on the fact that Verizon has yet to announce pricing for this feature.

rawdigga

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
It's very possible that the TBolt won't get an extension. If the free tethering/hotspot expires on May 15, the TBolt will have had the promo for two months after launch, which is twice as long as Droid Charge owners will get. I'm only holding out hope for an extension based on the fact that Verizon has yet to announce pricing for this feature.

They already did announce pricing from day 1. IT will cost you and extra $20 for 2 gigs of data.

Mortiel

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
I have news:

Firstly, the Droid Charge will be released officially tomorrow with a fresh software update fixing the issues with MediaHub that delayed its release. And I can say that will not be the only treasure stashed twice by Big Red Beard this month.

Secondly... (drum roll)... The rumor is true. The hotspot deal has been extended until June 15th.

Lastly, I have some rather conflicting information on what the Mobile Hotspot Promo memo now says.

It says on one line that after June 16th, once you attempt to initiated a MHS session, you will be prompted to sign up for the monthly subscription. This ability to sign up from your phone can be removed AFTER the promo ends by calling VZW Customer Care. They add a feature code to your account that blocks the self-provisioning ability.

On the next line it says a rather strange set of lines that left me scratching my head. It said that on the 16th a firmware update will add the new subscription-based app to your phone. The immediate sub-set says that in order to continue service, you must download the app from the Android Market.

***Mobile Hotspot/Mobile Broadband Connect pricing is still completely unknown. Everything else you here for now is rumor.***

Last edited:
Reactions: geekaren and Chrisy

Mortiel

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
Note to everyone: Take what the VZW Support Twitter feed says with a grain of salt... they are people too, and can misread their information. What information I have (that was last updated 05/12/11) contradicts them:

-4G MHS/MBBC pricing is still TBD (to be determined). No one knows yet.

-The $20/2GB MHS feature will be for 3G phones only, and will NOT be available to 4G devices.

-You will NOT be automatically subscribed to MHS when the promo ends. You will be able to subscribe from your phone, but that can be blocked by calling Customer Care after the promo ends.

I sent an email to the department in charge of the VZW Support Twitter asking them to reread their 4G MHS/MBBC memo. If they have better info, then they have better info. If they don't, I'll be damned if they are going to make my agents have to work more to clean up their mess when they give false information.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech