Post OTA Battery Life Issue Under Investigation by HTC

Mike_is_Mike

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
I think I may have discovered the issue. My battery was draining like crazy, but I just turned off the GPS manually and I think that has slowed down the battery usage. I know that this update included a GPS fix and I'm wondering if that fix did something to keep the GPS on permanently even when you're not using an app that requires it. Try it out and post your results.

My battery life seems to be back to normal. On a full charge, I used the endomondo (satellite tracking exercise) app on a 10.07 mile walk last night. With the screen time out set to 2 min, it took me 2:50:08 and at the end, my battery life was down to 46%.

Nothing else was running, no phone calls, no music, no browsing, etc.

jfarinella

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
I was loosing about 25% per hour when I left my 4G service on, now it seems to be about 15% per hour after the update. I will be testing it more over the next few days. I am seriously thinking about a root.

When I called Verizon about the poor battery life they said that there is no way that the 4G service is causing the drain. Just leaving the phone on 4G will not drain the battery. I said that on 3G service, with nothing else changed, I can get 12 to 15 hours or more of moderate use and when I have 4G turned on I was getting 4-5 hours (before the update).

quiverskeep

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
I think I may have discovered the issue. My battery was draining like crazy, but I just turned off the GPS manually and I think that has slowed down the battery usage. I know that this update included a GPS fix and I'm wondering if that fix did something to keep the GPS on permanently even when you're not using an app that requires it. Try it out and post your results.

I've never understood why the same phones have such different findings.

Here's my battery life rundown:

Screen usually at 40-45% brightness indoors most of day, gps always on, wifi always on, facebook/twitter updates every 30mins, email check every 5 mind. Moderate to heavy use. Change battery at about 13%
Before update: almost six to a little over six hours..
After update : almost eight repeatedly now

Nothing amazing, but I'm satisfied.

Victor014

May 14, 2011
Visit site
D:

After the update, my phone's mobile network wont turn on! I tryed a battery pull, restart, and i turned mobile network off and then back on again. Nothing! My battery life is the same though. But know i have to contact support.

ssethv

ANDROID OBSESSED
Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
ssethv, how long is your stock battery lasting?
with the stock battery and setting up everything I can to manually sync (facebook, twitter, weatherbug...), I am getting about 6-9 hrs from a charge.... keep in mind that I send and recieve up to 200 texts a day, and use tapatalk quite a bit, as well as Ymail...

Groucho

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
This whole battery issue is laughable. Without knowing how and how much one uses there device it us impossible to compare battery life. Game players, constant social network sync, 100's if texts a day and hours on YouTube are obviously going to tax any battery. I would love to know the percentage of under 25 year olds that are doing the complaining. My guess is the typical business user who has limited time for the fun stuff is just fine with the battery life. I could be wrong but it would be interesting to have the numbers.

Last edited:
Reactions: quiverskeep

michelebot

Mar 17, 2010
Visit site
Tonight, for the first time, my Thunderbolt battery went dead WHILE IT WAS SITTING ON THE COFFEE TABLE! It had half battery life before I put it down......2 hours ago! Definitely a battery problem. I'll give them a couple of weeks......then I get a different phone!

ssethv

ANDROID OBSESSED
Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
This whole battery issue is laughable. Without knowing how and how much one uses there device it us impossible to compare battery life. Game players, constant social network sync, 100's if texts a day and hours on YouTube are obviously going to tax any battery. I would love to know the percentage of under 25 year olds that are doing the complaining. My guess is the typical business user who has limited time for the fun stuff is just fine with the battery life. I could be wrong but it would be interesting to have the numbers.
Im def not complaining, i was just answering a question about my Battery life :) I never play games, nor do I use youtube... I pretty much only use productivity apps, the only reason I even have twitter on my phone is so that I can follow android developers and get info quicker. thats why I ordered the 2750 battery yesterday from this website:) I knew what I was getting into when I bought this battery devouring beast of a phone... I still have my rooted incredible and got amazing battery life because of the custom ROM I was using... I am holding of on Rooting my TB for maybe another month... and when I do root, I am only going to de-bloat and setCPU app, with CWM :)

anthony2558

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
battery life for me seems to be the same.... nothing poor, but nothing great by far. I do have a random "reboot" problem and sometimes the phone just shuts off on its own. My first thunderbolt did not have the update and had tons of rebooting problems. My second thunderbolt with out the update was great, no problems. Updated and now this crap...... arrrggghhhh

swade8

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
I too have issues now with the ota update. My phone tends to reboot every three hours now. I called verizon tech and asked if I can revert back to previous firmware and they said, no. my phone has never rebooted since the release of the T bolt. But since the update yesterday.that's all it ever does now.grrrr.what are my options, besides rooting?? Also, my battery drops 10% every hour now. I used to get 10 to 12 hrs on the original firmware.this ota update had only made things worse for me.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

jzamorski

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
I would definitely agree here...
on a weekend day where I barely used the phone, and when I did it was on 3g, I saw awful battery life with one 5 minute call and some light texting.

My phone is also doing the random reboot BS.

I wish we could go back cuz this is making me hate the phone now. At least I have a charger at home, work and in the car so I will never be without juice during the week.

ssethv

ANDROID OBSESSED
Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
It's hard to say how long it will take but I'm sure Verizon Will get this issue sorted out, and hopefully soon. I got this phone the same day that the ota came out so I'm really not sure how my battery life compares to the before and after... Luckily I haven't had any of the rebooting issues ...

sent from my TB via tapatalk

Picopops

May 15, 2011
Visit site
Just moved from Blackberry Torch to TBolt. I love the idea of this phone but I am so shocked at the horrid battery life. After reading through post after post about the terrible battery life I am scared I really made a mistake.

Can someone tell me what the OTA update is? I bought my phone about two weeks ago. Do you think mine already has the update? And is there anything at all I can do to improve the life? I heard the Block Buster app is to blame. And what about the scenes or skins with moving images? Does that suck up the life? HELP! I feel like such a jerk...what a waste of time.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Just moved from Blackberry Torch to TBolt. I love the idea of this phone but I am so shocked at the horrid battery life. After reading through post after post about the terrible battery life I am scared I really made a mistake.

Can someone tell me what the OTA update is? I bought my phone about two weeks ago. Do you think mine already has the update? And is there anything at all I can do to improve the life? I heard the Block Buster app is to blame. And what about the scenes or skins with moving images? Does that suck up the life? HELP! I feel like such a jerk...what a waste of time.

the ota update was available 2 or 3 days ago, so you do not have the update, unless you manually did it. if you did not approve installation of the update, then it did not update. you can read the battery life sticky for ideas to improve battery life.

quiverskeep

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
I too have issues now with the ota update. My phone tends to reboot every three hours now. I called verizon tech and asked if I can revert back to previous firmware and they said, no. my phone has never rebooted since the release of the T bolt. But since the update yesterday.that's all it ever does now.grrrr.what are my options, besides rooting?? Also, my battery drops 10% every hour now. I used to get 10 to 12 hrs on the original firmware.this ota update had only made things worse for me.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

10% every hour sounds pretty good...?? So about 9 hours, then put it on to charge at about 10% remaining? I'm not gettin' the "only made things worse". Made things worse than what? 10-12 hrs???! Say what?

equus

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
Umm, that's odd a few of the members over at VZW customer council like me who get to use devices on a test basis have noticed a similar battery drain and reboot issues. Yet I have not had one instance of this concern. I had never rooted this TB since day one and have kept it clean with NO apps from Market. Could that have any bearing on a few misbehaving devices? possible.....

RetiredJedi

Jul 13, 2010
jedi-soljah.iwarp.com
Umm, that's odd a few of the members over at VZW customer council like me who get to use devices on a test basis have noticed a similar battery drain and reboot issues. Yet I have not had one instance of this concern. I had never rooted this TB since day one and have kept it clean with NO apps from Market. Could that have any bearing on a few misbehaving devices? possible.....

So are they working on a fix? I haven't had any issues since updating but I'm sure everyone wants to know what is being done, if for no other reason than to know that HTC and VZW aren't blowing us off. I know the OP asked but I wanted to ask the question again to someone from VZW.

DocJ#WN

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
I was having the same problem. I did a battery pull/hard reset and that seems to have fixed the problem. My battery life is the same if not better and I haven't had one issue with this mysterious random reboots.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay