GPS Accuracy and WIFI

sterrac

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
When I use google maps it can only narrow my location down to 3100 meters or almost 2 miles. Probably not the most accurate of fixes, and it has been like this since before the OTA. Google navigation is also quite a bit off, most times it has me a few hundred yards off the road that I am traveling.

One thing I have noticed is that it continually asks me to turn on WIFI. With the battery life issue I always have WIFI off. I guess my question is, how does turning on WIFI improve my location accuracy and should I turn WIFI on and leave it on? Is there a thread that I missed someone could point out to me that expalins how the GPS works?

worwig

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
Leave WiFi off.
Make sure the GPS is turned on.
Go outside with a clear sky.
Get the app 'GPS Status'.
Let it run for a LONG time, like 15 minutes, with a clear sky. GPS status should be showing at least 9 fixes and 9 satelites. You may want to try the 'reset' and 'download' in the tools menu. That may speed up the process.
In the future, fixes should be quicker and maybe even indoors, depending on your building.
Google also has a database of WiFis. If you turn on the WiFi, it might be able to identify your location a bit more accurately if you are indoors and not getting a GPS signal. But few WiFi systems are actually in Google lookup tables.

Reactions: mikemyu

jrmarinojr

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
sterrac - i was having the exact same issue...turn your wifi ON! i always have to turn it on with the gps but it works great. tracks you within 20 meters or better...hope this helps

MojaveHigh

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
Getting the GPS Status app, resetting and downloading new data is the solution. I get fixes indoors in about 5 seconds and the accuracy is usually within 20 feet, even inside my house.

You shouldn't need Wi-fi on if you've got GPS tracking getting good fixes.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bluegarland692