I contacted Verizon tech support in regards to the random rebooting I am having since the update...they indicated this usually occurred when a file or something becomes corrupted during the update. They are suggesting I do a factory reset. I have a zillion apps that I don't want to lose, some of which I paid for. I have never had to do this before...can I back up all my apps somewhere? It would be a nightmare trying to reinstall all of the ones I use, and I don't want to lose anything I've paid for. Do you think a factory reset will solve the problem? Thanks for any help!!
    05-15-2011 12:07 PM
    I am not an expert by any means & probably some of them will weigh in soon.
    AppBrain will back everything up
    That being said, when I moved from my OG Droid to my Thunderbolt, very soon after activating my Thunderbolt, all of my apps were just there on my Thunderbolt

I am not rooted on the Thunderbolt & did not root my OG Droid, fwiw
    05-15-2011 12:55 PM
    Hey man, i just did the factory reset through the phone, not the boot menu, maybe someone could chyme in and say if there is any difference?

But very shortly after I logged back into my phone with google, all my apps were downloaded and installed back on the system, and everything you've downloaded that for whatever reason may not reinstall is in your "my apps/downloads" or whatever it is in the market, it's all tied into your account

KEEP READING:

Just a heads up, and I asked earlier whether there was a difference between the boot menu wipe and the HTC built in factory reset, because I did the reset last night, and with in an hour had a reboot, and have had it reboot yet again today at least once that I've seen. It's not as bad as it was yesterday where it was rebooting 3x in a row or something absurd, I swear I had a dozen in the day..

All that being said - from what I've been seeing it's an issue with the Verizon Towers not our phones, hence some areas are unaffected and they just haven't rolled out the tower updates to the areas yet, and once they do the rebooting goes away. It is a pain in the nuts, no joke... and I can't say it was worth it because I've still had reboots.
    05-15-2011 01:08 PM
    You will be able to re-install from Market if you don't back up some other way but it will be a bit tedious as you have to search for each app. AppBrain does work well but does not save most of your settings. MyBackup from Reware works really well if you have the paid version. You can backup to card or cloud. It will re-install of of your apps, data and settings including your home pages in most cases. I had a well loaded INC when i bought my Tbolt and was able to re-create my INC set up on the TB for the most part in less than 10 minutes. Just make sure you check your system and app settings particularly with regards to those things that eat battery.
    05-15-2011 01:08 PM
    As I was typing this, my phone shut off and didn't even restart...
    05-15-2011 01:09 PM
    I have had 1 reboot and 1 shutdwon after I did a factory reset which was advised by a Verizon CSR. My apps did not reload and were not listed under MyApps in the Market. I think that was due to a setting changed somewhere, not sure, but I did come across a setting that referred to applications reloading if I used the same Google account.
    05-15-2011 01:14 PM
    I think I will hold off doing the factory reset and sees if it gets better....especially since it doesn't appear to be a guarantee it will fix the issue!!
    05-15-2011 05:33 PM
    It just occurred to me that I have not had a reboot or shutdown since pulling the battery yesterday. Could be a coincidence.
    05-15-2011 06:11 PM
    I'm getting seriously pissed off about this, it kills your battery and completely takes away functionality. I went from 100 to dead in 5 hours and didn't even use it because of the restarts. This is completely unacceptable
    05-15-2011 10:52 PM
    It just occurred to me that I have not had a reboot or shutdown since pulling the battery yesterday. Could be a coincidence.
    Same here. I am much happier today then yesterday.
    05-15-2011 11:21 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD