Lookout Mobile Security

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
I use Antivirus Free... I had used Lookout Mobile, but it was always in memory... and with the battery life being an issue I removed it after I found Antivirus Free.

Rem

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
I use Lookout. Like fatboy said, it does show up under running services, but I've never once spotted it in the "battery use" list so I figure it's fine. I have mine set to scan once per week and then it automatically checks any new apps as they're installed.

RkyMtnHigh

Banned
Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Norton Mobile Security (Beta) is a good one if you don't leave it running. I usually scan my phone once a month or so and uninstall whatever I used afterward.

lovy

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
I remember reading somewhere in the forum that a security scanner was not necessary because I wanted to get one for my phone but opted against it since I read that. Are there any good ones that are free?

Rem

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
I remember reading somewhere in the forum that a security scanner was not necessary because I wanted to get one for my phone but opted against it since I read that. Are there any good ones that are free?

I think I remember that thread. The overall consensus was basically: they're unnecessary if you have common sense and look at app reviews/permissions, BUT some of us will continue to use them anyway, usually for a) peace of mind and/or b) missing device capabilities.

I use the free version of Lookout and it does everything I need it to do. Not sure about any of the others.

Reactions: lovy

SoDev

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Here is a nice (and recent) article on the topic. The comments are good too.

Are antivirus applications necessary on the Android mobile platform? | TechRepublic

I used Lookout for a month, liked it, then uninstalled it just because. i may use it again some day, I dunno. Use it if you like, little extra protection, but don't believe it's necessary, yet. Also, for root users like me there is even less risk. I'll just re-flash my latest backup if things go wacky. :)

lovy

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
Here is a nice (and recent) article on the topic. The comments are good too.

Are antivirus applications necessary on the Android mobile platform? | TechRepublic

I used Lookout for a month, liked it, then uninstalled it just because. i may use it again some day, I dunno. Use it if you like, little extra protection, but don't believe it's necessary, yet. Also, for root users like me there is even less risk. I'll just re-flash my latest backup if things go wacky. :)
Thanks for the link, and since I am paranoid lol I will get it just for a peace of mind :)

lovy

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
I think I remember that thread. The overall consensus was basically: they're unnecessary if you have common sense and look at app reviews/permissions, BUT some of us will continue to use them anyway, usually for a) peace of mind and/or b) missing device capabilities.

I use the free version of Lookout and it does everything I need it to do. Not sure about any of the others.
Rem has it ever stopped you from installing a risky app?

Rem

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Rem has it ever stopped you from installing a risky app?

It hasn't, but that's because I have yet to try installing a risky app. :p
I stick to trusted devs and apps with plenty of positive reviews, so I always get the "all clear" message from Lookout after installing.

lovy

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
It hasn't, but that's because I have yet to try installing a risky app. :p
I stick to trusted devs and apps with plenty of positive reviews, so I always get the "all clear" message from Lookout after installing.
I have been using TV show stream and megaviewer which are both great just a bit leary because I know the streamed movies and tv shows are basically from people who list them.

Mortiel

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
I have been using TV show stream and megaviewer which are both great just a bit leary because I know the streamed movies and tv shows are basically from people who list them.

I use Lookout, but not so much for the anti-malware. I like the remote location/lock/wipe feature, although I think its more of a psychological game than anything... we all know my TBolt's battery would die before I even knew it was stolen! Lol Can't find it if its shut off...

lovy

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
I use Lookout, but not so much for the anti-malware. I like the remote location/lock/wipe feature, although I think its more of a psychological game than anything... we all know my TBolt's battery would die before I even knew it was stolen! Lol Can't find it if its shut off...
Hi mortiel,

Being the noob that I am can you please explain what (remote location/lock/wipe feature) mean. And exactly what is it used for.

Mortiel

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
Hi mortiel,

Being the noob that I am can you please explain what (remote location/lock/wipe feature) mean. And exactly what is it used for.

It means that you can log into a website on your computer and locate your device via a webpage embedded map, lock the phone so no one can access it, or wipe it and erase all data. Its all about security.

See http://www.mylookout.com for more indepth in formation.