Tag ppl in status updates on FB

gnGracie

May 7, 2011
Visit site
I found (via Google) that to tag someone in a FB post on TB, you have to log in via the internet, then from "more" menu, select desktop site.

When I try to tag someone in a status update, for instance gngracie, it lets me select that person by typing @gngracie, but then after I've selected the person, it adds another g at the beginning of the name (ggngracie), thereby removing the tag. It always adds the 1st letter and removes the tag. Am I missing something simple here? Is there a way to tag people in status updates?

TIA :)

prakash99

Aug 15, 2010
Visit site
Tagging in status updates has been there on the native android app for FB for a while. I couldn't get it to work on comments though.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Reactions: gnGracie

gnGracie

May 7, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the help.

I installed the app, and it's not working there either, although it's not adding the extra letter like the desktop. Could it have anything to do with my keyboard settings? I use SwiftKey.

prakash99

Aug 15, 2010
Visit site
I use SwiftKey myself.... In fact, I "upgraded" to SwiftKey X today. I have never had that problem. So can't be the keyboard.

gnGracie

May 7, 2011
Visit site
Hmm, do you type @ before the name just like you do on the computer? And do you have the auto correct on or off on SwiftKey?

I've got to be doing something simple wrong, I just don't know what. :)

tcapote

Geek Freak
May 15, 2010
Visit site
I just downloaded Friendcaster for Facebook, free, excellent app. I will probably buy the Pro version. Easy photo and video uploads to albums, tagging etc...MUCH better than the Facebook app.

prakash99

Aug 15, 2010
Visit site
Hmm, do you type @ before the name just like you do on the computer? And do you have the auto correct on or off on SwiftKey?

I've got to be doing something simple wrong, I just don't know what. :)

Yes, typing @name adds a tag in your status update on the Facebook for Android app. Does not work on comments or wall posts though. Just on status updates. And I have autocorrect on, but I don't think it has anything to do with it.

gnGracie

May 7, 2011
Visit site
Yes, typing @name adds a tag in your status update on the Facebook for Android app. Does not work on comments or wall posts though. Just on status updates. And I have autocorrect on, but I don't think it has anything to do with it.

That's so strange. It's not adding the tag when I do status updates and I can't figure it out. It's not even pulling up the drop-down list with the names of the friend I'm trying to tag. It will, however, add tags if I use the "check in" feature; I just can't seem to tag ppl in my status updates. :-\

gnGracie

May 7, 2011
Visit site
I just downloaded Friendcaster for Facebook, free, excellent app. I will probably buy the Pro version. Easy photo and video uploads to albums, tagging etc...MUCH better than the Facebook app.

I downloaded and tried FC, but couldn't tag from that app either. :(

prakash99

Aug 15, 2010
Visit site
I haven't used Friendcaster for a while so I don't know if I can tag ppl on the status. But on the native Facebook for Android app, as soon as I enter the first letter after @, it brings up a pulldown menu. It is strange that it is not working for you.

gnGracie

May 7, 2011
Visit site
In the event that anyone else ever has this problem, I finally figured out a way to tag within the app, although it's a weird way! By selecting "input method > touch input" instead of using SwiftKey, the tag feature actually works. This is one of the weirdest and most frustrating little quirks that is driving me nuts! There's got to be a way to get it working properly in SK, but I'll be darned if I'm able to figure it out. :-\

prakash99

Aug 15, 2010
Visit site
In the event that anyone else ever has this problem, I finally figured out a way to tag within the app, although it's a weird way! By selecting "input method > touch input" instead of using SwiftKey, the tag feature actually works. This is one of the weirdest and most frustrating little quirks that is driving me nuts! There's got to be a way to get it working properly in SK, but I'll be darned if I'm able to figure it out. :-\

Glad that you found a way that works for you.
Meanwhile, I also found that when using the desktop version on your browser, tagging works (it pulls up a popup menu)

Spacemaker24

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
How can a multi-billion dollar company that employees countless IT people consistently have such a garbage moblie app?

Sent from my HTC Thunderbolt using Tapatalk 2

bjboucher

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
This has been driving me crazy for days! Did you find any other way to do it that does not take so many steps?

Wow, this thread is over a year old. The app has probably been updated 100 times since this was discussed. Tagging people in a status update is so easy now. On the app, when you hit the "Status" at the top it should open the little text box to type in. At the bottom left corner of that text box is a little icon that looks like a persons head with a plus sign on it. Just hit that, pick the friends you're with, hit done at the top and then post your status. Takes like 2 seconds.