Water spots under screen

Bwangster12

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
So, I don't know how it happened, but I got a bunch of what appears to be water spots under the screen of my Thunderbolt. Perhaps it was the process of putting on my Invisibleshield, or maybe not. That's besides the point.

I didn't know what to do, used blow dryer, took out battery, let it sit... but the phone operates fine.

I decided to go to Verizon, but rather than say I have water spots, I decided to tell the guy that I called VZW tech support the day before and told them about restarts I was getting since the upgrade. Yes, I know I was lying, but I figured perhaps he wouldn't notice the water spots if I made the backgrounds black and he didn't open the browser.

So, he says that he wants to look up my account, and within seconds he says "okay, we will mail you out a replacement. You just have to send yours back." The guy didn't even touch my phone during the visit.

My question is... am I out of the woods here? Or will they somehow screw me when it gets sent back to VZW and perhaps someone notices water spots under the screen?

Forgetful

Energy hoarder
Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Yup you're probably screwed. Look for a 350$ charge in about a month. Improper installation of Invisibleshield type screen protectors does this sometimes.

RkyMtnHigh

Banned
Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
You'll be fine. You won't get charged unless the water paper stuff changes color. Stay away from the screen protectors unless you positively need one. I've never used one and have never scratched a smartphone screen.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

SF DINC

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
Try getting some sillica packets (little packages in retail products that say don't eat) 3-4, place phone with cover off and battery out and sillica packets in a zip-loc bag ....these packets are used to keep moisture out of products while packaged. See if that helps pull the moisture out. Good luck!

Bwangster12

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
Try getting some sillica packets (little packages in retail products that say don't eat) 3-4, place phone with cover off and battery out and sillica packets in a zip-loc bag ....these packets are used to keep moisture out of products while packaged. See if that helps pull the moisture out. Good luck!

Alright put the phone in a ziploc covered by like 10 bags. That's not too many right? What's worst that could happen?

How long you think I should leave?

AndroidXTC

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
As long as the phone is operating that water will dry sooner or later. Take the battery out of it leave the back off and put it out in the sun somewhere.

Mortiel

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
I'll add a few things here:

Firstly, the returns warehouse does not really use the LDI (liquid damage indicator) strip on the battery or inside the phone as much anymore, since it can register false positives. They will check for signs of corrosion and moisture degradation.

Secondly, if they do find water damage, you will get charged $299 for a smart phone. They should have disclosed this to you BEFORE they sent you a replacement. Seriously. Verizon Wireless is required by law to disclose to you the terms of the warranty replacement This includes the condition of the replacement (like-new, new, etc.), the non-return fee, the damaged device fee, and the data migration process.

Lastly, silica packets are good, but you should take some careful steps. I prefer the cheaper route of taking the battery AND the SIM card out of the phone. Set the SIM aside somewhere safe. Place the battery and bare phone in a bag of rice or silica, and set it somewhere cool and dry. Rice is like a moisture vacuum similar to silica. ***Do NOT use a blow dryer or leave it in the sun, as this could cause potential permanent damage to your phone. Heat is an enemy of electronics.***

Bwangster12

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
There really isn't an water in the unit, some somehow just got under the screen. Last night I had it sitting in a bowl of rice, and now I have it in a ziploc covered in silica packets.

When I went into the store I decided to say my phone was rebooting rather than say it had water spots, because I thought that wud be an easier way to get a replacement. The guy didn't even look at my phone, just went on the computer and had a replacement mailed to me. No one verbally voiced water spots to me, cause they didn't look at it.

If I get dinged with a charge, I don't know if I should say I knew about it. Aren't I better off saying I didn't know about it and I brought it into the store to get a replacement and they examined it?

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
There really isn't an water in the unit, some somehow just got under the screen. Last night I had it sitting in a bowl of rice, and now I have it in a ziploc covered in silica packets.

When I went into the store I decided to say my phone was rebooting rather than say it had water spots, because I thought that wud be an easier way to get a replacement. The guy didn't even look at my phone, just went on the computer and had a replacement mailed to me. No one verbally voiced water spots to me, cause they didn't look at it.

If I get dinged with a charge, I don't know if I should say I knew about it. Aren't I better off saying I didn't know about it and I brought it into the store to get a replacement and they examined it?
1) Really, you shouldn't lie to qualify for a warranty replacement. That said... 2) Since the store is sending you a warranty replacement you probably will "get away with it". 3) Actually, this would have been a 100 percent legitimate insurance claim with VZW's Asurion Insurance policy.

Also, it'd probably be a good idea not to put the same screen saver on your replacement. I recommend this one that works and looks good, and does not require any "adhesive gunk".

VZW's ThunderBolt Screen Protector

-Frank

Bwangster12

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
I actually don't have "insurance" on the phone. I really never opt to get the insurance. I went in and said the phone was rebooting, he looked up my account, said "oh, you got this in March" and then said we are gonna send you a replacement.

mannw1977

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I have sent rooted devices back to VZW with no issues. Can you post a pic of the screen? I think you will be ok to send back as long as its not real bad. They probably have so many coming back they don't have the time to do full inspections.lol Reboot Hell! I have sent 2 back and still have reboots so they need to stop acting like a CLN will fix that issue.

dhendriksen

Android Addict
Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
I can almost guarantee someone will receive that phone as a "certified like new" replacement, with water spots still under the screen.

Mortiel

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site

If it was a store that ordered it and failed to disclose the legalese of the replacement, then it is likely NOT a warranty replacement, and even if it is then you are not liable for anything. Last memo I got from the brass, NO store can issue a standard warranty replacement. They have to call us and get it ordered, at which point we will request to speak to you directly to tell you the disclosures. Unless there is some secret store policy they did not tell Tech Support or 90% of the stores out there. Has anyone else received a warranty replacement from a store without the store rep calling Tech Support? I am seriously curious here...

Bwangster12

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
If it was a store that ordered it and failed to disclose the legalese of the replacement, then it is likely NOT a warranty replacement, and even if it is then you are not liable for anything. Last memo I got from the brass, NO store can issue a standard warranty replacement. They have to call us and get it ordered, at which point we will request to speak to you directly to tell you the disclosures. Unless there is some secret store policy they did not tell Tech Support or 90% of the stores out there. Has anyone else received a warranty replacement from a store without the store rep calling Tech Support? I am seriously curious here...

Well, not sure if this provides you with any more info, but he didn't call anyone. My experience went exactly like this:

They called my name and the guy walked over to me in middle of store. I said that I called VZW and told them I was having reboot issues since my last update (not truthful). He said okay, and wanted to walk around to the computer. I walked over to the tech support area and met him. He started looking up my account and said: When did you first call tech support? So I said, yesterday... or perhaps earlier this week I think. After a few more seconds, he said, Oh, I see you got this in March. Then waited and said, Okay, we are going to send you out a replacement. Just said to swap out the battery and memory card.

Did not say anything else to me about anything. I left the store.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParkerAdams