Onslaught of Gingerbread Updates

soccerfon711

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
In the past few days we have seen a lot of Gingerbread updates officially and unofficially announced for both old and new phones (i.e. Droid X, Droid Pro, Evo 4G, G2x), some of which are currently rolling out. I was just wondering if anyone had any info on whether or not the Gingerbread update for the Tbolt will meet their deadline of the end of the month (conclusion of Q2)?

I am looking forward to the new stuff included in the update, but I am more interested in a solution to these reboot problems. My phone is hardly functional at this point.

No flamers, thanks.

atcjr

May 26, 2011
Visit site
I just received a refurb Tbolt. At least it's not stuck in the HBoot. This one just reboots and powers down on a wim.... Gotta love it.

Chrisy

Banned
Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I have been wondering the same thing as I read about the other devices getting Gingerbread. I don't know enough about Android OS rolloit yet, so I'll stayed tuned to this thead for info.

dhendriksen

Android Addict
Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
I think once we start seeing HTC Sense devices getting Gingerbread that it is close. I am sure it takes HTC a considerable amount of time to deploy all their additions/tweaks to a new OS. Don't even get me started on VZW's process of testing the upgrade before it's released.

I saw T-Mo and AT&T Blackberries get an OS update a YEAR before the comparable VZW model.

soccerfon711

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I'm pretty sure once all the other phones get updated, Thunderbolt won't be too, too far behind.

Lol, I hope you're wrong. I think that Verizon just needs to push out the update as soon as it's done. As evidenced in the last round of updates, the extra three weeks that they spent 'testing' it did nothing.

Mortiel

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
I have heard rumors both that the Q2 deadline will be met, and that HTC devs want to fix current problems before Gingerbread is rolled out. Not sure which is true, if either. I suppose we will see.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I have heard rumors both that the Q2 deadline will be met, and that HTC devs want to fix current problems before Gingerbread is rolled out. Not sure which is true, if either. I suppose we will see.

is HTC even aware of the high power draw idle problems? It is an intermittent problem that's hard to determine as opposed to restarts because you know when a phone restarts when you use it, or you can see it in the battery settings menu. Both my original and replacement Thunderbolts exhibited the same problem, and others have had the same problem. I'm assuming most just assume the Thunderbolt has bad battery life, and leave it at that, and don't bother logging power consumption. I e-mailed HTC detailing my findings, but they seemed to have given a somewhat canned response. Contacting Verizon, they just say bad battery life is normal for the Thunderbolt. Yes, it's bad, but i know that at times it idles at 40ma for hours, then it'd just jump up 2-5x as much for no reason. And playing music usually drops the idle down to about 54ma. So it's probably some issue with their idling software. And that's not even counting when the 4G up arrow gets stuck on.

I find it odd that i have two phones, both exhibiting the same problems, but that almost no one else on Verizon has it, as when i call in, they say the only known issue is the restarts issue.

Last edited:

Chiefmcfuz

Jun 28, 2010
www.manhattanreefs.com
I would imagine with the evo getting the update that the TB will get an update by the end of the summer. Lets just hope they release a fix for the other issues from the last OTA first.

brett328

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Possible fix? Went to the VZW store yesterday due to multiple reboots per day since OTA. I know that I've read in several threads that task killers are not recommended, but the first thing the tech guy did after i said "reboots" was grab the phone and downloaded Advance Task Killer app! He set it to aggreesive task killing, and said this should help stop most of the reboots, I'm skeptical to say the least, but zero reboots so far, 14 hours later. So for what its worth!

mpciii

Jan 22, 2010
Visit site

The_Engine

Super Genius
Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Possible fix? Went to the VZW store yesterday due to multiple reboots per day since OTA. I know that I've read in several threads that task killers are not recommended, but the first thing the tech guy did after i said "reboots" was grab the phone and downloaded Advance Task Killer app! He set it to aggreesive task killing, and said this should help stop most of the reboots, I'm skeptical to say the least, but zero reboots so far, 14 hours later. So for what its worth!

You may want to read this over, if you are not already familiar with the whole task killer thing.

Revisiting Android Task Killers and Why You Still Don’t Need One… - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

How has battery life been?

lippstuh

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
The biggest issue is the 4g radio since the Thunderbolt is the FIRST of its kind. No point of speculation. There are always release date changes (mostly delays) which is why they never announce anything until 1-3 weeks before the release date.

dmcman73

May 20, 2010
Visit site
is HTC even aware of the high power draw idle problems? It is an intermittent problem that's hard to determine as opposed to restarts because you know when a phone restarts when you use it, or you can see it in the battery settings menu. Both my original and replacement Thunderbolts exhibited the same problem, and others have had the same problem. I'm assuming most just assume the Thunderbolt has bad battery life, and leave it at that, and don't bother logging power consumption. I e-mailed HTC detailing my findings, but they seemed to have given a somewhat canned response. Contacting Verizon, they just say bad battery life is normal for the Thunderbolt. Yes, it's bad, but i know that at times it idles at 40ma for hours, then it'd just jump up 2-5x as much for no reason. And playing music usually drops the idle down to about 54ma. So it's probably some issue with their idling software. And that's not even counting when the 4G up arrow gets stuck on.

I find it odd that i have two phones, both exhibiting the same problems, but that almost no one else on Verizon has it, as when i call in, they say the only known issue is the restarts issue.

It's probably some random "bloatware" that Verizon shoe horns onto the TBolt that is causing those power draws. It was a known fact that the Blockbuster app was a main culprit and that you had to go into it to disable it from updating.

soccerfon711

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I'm more concerned with them fixing the issues caused by the last update over Gingerbread. I talked to a lot of HTC reps and all of them said that HTC is still trying to figure out why it's rebooting. The fact that they possibly haven't figured out what is causing the reboots is definitely not a good sign.

Sadly, I'm going to give them a month to fix the issue. If it continues, I will have to get a different phone. It's just very hard for me to use the basic functions of the phone when it constantly reboots while I'm on the phone, writing a text message, or composing an email. I need something reliable. So here's to hoping that they discover the issue and send out an update soon!

The_Engine

Super Genius
Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
I just got a bolt and the person I know who works at VZW told me to hold off on rooting or anything because gingerbread is coming .