Finally broke the 50Mbps barrier.

VideoEngineerAJS

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Now I was around the same tower that I was near last night and I got so close last night, but tonight I finally broke the 50Mbps barrier. I was getting much better ping times tonight as well. I must admit that I was probably only about 300 yards from this tower, so I don't get these speeds on a regular basis, but I still wanted to at least break 50.

57709355.png
57710658.png
57705211.png

Reactions: Chrisy

nerdydesi

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
Where do you live? I'm in Houston, TX and the best I get is 32mb down, but that is mostly in the early morning, around 2am. Are you perhaps located in a less crowded location with fewer users?

VideoEngineerAJS

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Where do you live? I'm in Houston, TX and the best I get is 32mb down, but that is mostly in the early morning, around 2am. Are you perhaps located in a less crowded location with fewer users?

I'm in North St. Louis County. This tower is in Florissant on one of the busiest streets in the St. Louis metro area (Lindbergh Blvd).

Mortiel

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
I split time between Irving, California; Seattle, WA; and Boise, ID. Seattle gets the best downlinks at 25 Mbps, Boise is the worst at around 1 Mbps (because its still 3G for another two weeks).

VideoEngineerAJS

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
For those of you getting low speeds, try a different server. The Chicago server is 250 miles away, but as you can see it shows it as less than 50 miles away. I'm thinking the fiber lines on the St. Louis towers probably go to Chicago.

Sent from my Thunderbolt

Last edited:
Reactions: dms76

dms76

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
For those of you getting low speeds, try a different server. The Chicago server is 250 miles away, but as you can see it shows it as less than 50 miles away. I'm thinking the fiber lines on the St. Louis towers probably go to Chicago.

Sent from my Thunderbolt
Wow thanks that was a wonderful idea! I am not ranging from 15DL/3UL

Nate1861

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Dang Scottsdale/Phoenix is barely getting 10mbps. What the heck.

I thought the same, but then realized that the Speedtest app gives bad results. Go to speakeasy.net/speedtest/ on your phone for true results. I was pulling 22 Mbps in the Queen Creek area.

VideoEngineerAJS

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
I thought the same, but then realized that the Speedtest app gives bad results. Go to speakeasy.net/speedtest/ on your phone for true results. I was pulling 22 Mbps in the Queen Creek area.

Like I said try a different server. If you find the right server on the Speedtest.net app you will get good results. I haven't tried the Speakeasy speed test when I was near this tower but I've done it and compared it to my other speed test results and they were the same. Oh and the closest server to me on the Speakeasy speed test is Chicago also. So again it's all about the servers. Since they updated the Speedtest.net app to work with LTE it's been pretty spot on if you use the same servers as the Speakeasy speed test.

Sent from my Thunderbolt

VideoEngineerAJS

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site

Ha, I just found out that Ookla operates both Speedtest.net and Speakeasy.net/speedtest. So again, it's all about the servers.

I also did a comparison between the 2 here at work.

Speedtest.net app: 34.06Mbps down 4.23Mbps up
Speakeasy.net: 32.14Mbps down 4.12Mbps up

I would say that's pretty darn close. Both using the Chicago servers.

EricWiz

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
That is crazy with the 50+ for sure! It's funny you mention speakeasy - that is what I normally test against. I have the app as well and I do find that they are both pretty consistent and consistently similar in result.

thinknate

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Wow, 50 is crazy. The highest I ever saw was 22. But in the last month, I haven't seen anything higher than 6 (tested around Chicago, and in Columbus).

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay