1. URPREY's Avatar
    Sometime today, the Android Google Voice app stopped working for me on my Thunderbolt. It's also affecting a coworker, and several other people on the Google support forums.

    I can dial just fine, but I'm not able to send or receive any texts via the android app. It works fine over the web.

    Anyone else not receiving their texts today?

    Here's a link to the Google support forums thread: HTC Thunderbolt won't sign in to Google Voice - Google Voice Help
    06-08-2011 03:56 PM
  2. TCUHornedFrog's Avatar
    I found a solution...sort of.

    I have the same problem on my Thunderbolt. Started last night, persisted today.

    All google and google service sites are either very slow to load or say they aren't valid (from the phone's browser).

    I thought it might have something to do with Verizon's network, so I installed an LTE toggle, and turned off my 4G. Uninstalled google voice, reinstalled, and voila. As long as I have the phone in 3G mode, everything (google-related) works fine.

    So, I think it is logical to conclude that these problems are somehow related to Verizon's LTE network. I haven't called them yet, and really don't think I have the patience to navigate through their customer/technical support.

    Hope somebody finds a solution though (without disabling LTE).
    06-08-2011 08:34 PM
  3. dhendriksen's Avatar
    Works great for me, but I'm in a 3G area.
    06-08-2011 09:06 PM
  4. dpham00's Avatar
    i'm having the same problem as well. luckily i saw this thread, otherwise i was gonna curse my clnr tb that i just got today.
    06-08-2011 09:31 PM
  5. URPREY's Avatar
    Apparently this was related to ipv6 which was being tested today. It should have resolved itself around 8pm est
    06-08-2011 11:06 PM
  6. TCUHornedFrog's Avatar
    Apparently this was related to ipv6 which was being tested today. It should have resolved itself around 8pm est
    Seems to be working now on my phone with LTE enabled.

    Cool.
    06-08-2011 11:23 PM
  7. Dcpmark#AC's Avatar
    Mine still doesn't work.
    06-09-2011 12:21 AM
  8. meballard's Avatar
    I found the problem, I posted this to a thread on Google's site:
    After a couple days of this, I decided to do some testing on the IPv6 theory. I did verify that Google no longer publishes an AAAA record (IPv6) for voice.google.com. Then I used the IPv6 and More app (available in the Market for free), and did a DIG (DNS lookup for an AAAA record in this case), and the DNS that Verizon assigns (at least the one I was receiving) was still returning an AAAA record, when it shouldn't be anymore.

    Also, it seems that Verizon is assigning an IPv6 address on LTE, but it isn't usable yet.

    Since Verizon's server is returning an AAAA record for voice.google.com, and presumably Google (I didn't check), and since we don't have a working IPv6 connection (even though the phone seems to think it does), those services aren't working.

    Google via the web browser works after a wait because it gives up on IPv6 and then moves to IPv4 instead. The Google Voice app doesn't seem to be doing that.

    If your device is rooted, I was able to get back normal operation by installing Set DNS, and changing my DNS to Google's public DNS instead (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4). Now I have LTE enabled and I can use Google Voice normally.
    06-10-2011 03:31 AM
  9. morrisdl's Avatar
    Nice work Meballard. If I have two minutes, I would definitely jaibreak just to fix this...Mine is still not working w/4g in LA. At least there is the 3g work around.
    06-10-2011 12:27 PM
  10. dpham00's Avatar
    I'm in LA, and updated to mr2, not sure if that makes any difference, but Google voice works on 4G now.

    BTW, my http client issue in the other thread seems to have cleared up as well, perhaps somehow related
    06-10-2011 12:37 PM
  11. mlpjunior's Avatar
    Great work, meballard! This worked perfectly!
    06-11-2011 12:09 AM

Tags for this Thread

LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD