GB vs Froyo??

jschecter

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I'm a first time smartphone user and have finally been able to get used to the ins & outs of my phone. The TB has been good to me with the exception of the occasional reboot (which I believe is a radio problem).

So why is everyone going nuts over the possibility of an official GB release? Can someone explain the difference between the two in layman's terms?

INK

Banned
Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
gingerbread is a major upgrade from Froyo it will bring a more firendlier ui.and some improvements on some of the stuff froyo did.

CrotchBat

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
A lot of it is under the hood but better power management is one key feature. Not sure just how much better battery life will be but it should see a decent increase if nothing else.

INK

Banned
Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
I am running Cyanongenmod7 I love Gingerbread, like the above poster said its alot under the hood. But thats great too. It runs smoothly and I think it was alot of minor upgrades.

jschecter

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Better power management is something I'd be interested in.

I guess I'm just so used to traditional phones that I'm already amazed with all that it can do out of the box.

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
gingerbread is a major upgrade from Froyo it will bring a more firendlier ui.and some improvements on some of the stuff froyo did.

Gingerbread is a Minor upgrade from Froyo... major upgrade will be from 2.3 to 3.0, not 2.2 to 2.3. I've seen my friends EVO.... he even says it's fairly minor, but better battery life is good to hear from him.

INK

Banned
Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Gingerbread is a Minor upgrade from Froyo... major upgrade will be from 2.3 to 3.0, not 2.2 to 2.3. I've seen my friends EVO.... he even says it's fairly minor, but better battery life is good to hear from him.

Hey My phone was on Doughnut before I got Cyanogenmod7. It was major for me :p

PJnc284

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site

I'd say there's a fairly noticeable difference between them even on just the Gingerbread leak for the Thunderbolt and that's not even counting all of the tweaks Adrynalyne and Co have made.

JohnyLunchmeat

May 1, 2011
Visit site
My friend has an Evo and says that there are no real visual changes but his device runs a lot smoother and he has way better battery life.

I think the Droid X has more eye candy on GB.

shobuddy

May 9, 2011
Visit site
So will TB users be upgraded OTA to Froyo when it is made available? Or will the phone have to be rooted to get the upgrade?

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
So will TB users be upgraded OTA to Froyo when it is made available? Or will the phone have to be rooted to get the upgrade?

The Thunderbolt has Froyo... however, if you are talking about Gingerbread, it should be an OTA update... you should never have to root an Android phone to get an OTA... Rooting is for remove bloat wear, or load a custom ROM, and there are a few other reasons of course.

shobuddy

May 9, 2011
Visit site
The Thunderbolt has Froyo... however, if you are talking about Gingerbread, it should be an OTA update... you should never have to root an Android phone to get an OTA... Rooting is for remove bloat wear, or load a custom ROM, and there are a few other reasons of course.

Yes, I meant GB. Thanks for the info.

PJnc284

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
With android, there's always a chance that you may have to root and install a custom rom if Verizon and the manufacturer decide not to provide the update officially but since GB has already been announced, you won't have anything to worry about.