Who has the MR2 Update (not leaked)

quantumiq

Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
There has been lots of threads about the MR2 update being released, but i want to know given today is the 15th, who has already recieved it on their phone (not the leaded version)? There have been a ton of threads about the update coming, but none have been started now that the day is finally here. In a previous thread it was mentioned it may be a soft roll-out.

I for one was sad to say, I woke up today to see that my phone has yet to get it.

Brainfart

Apr 12, 2010
Visit site
Started by you??? Or does this new rumor have a source... where is the link to your source???

http://forum.androidcentral.com/verizon-htc-thunderbolt/93736-update-rolling-out-tomorrow-6-15-a.html#post998481
I would think Jcase is a pretty good source. Wouldn't you?

Also possibly delayed because of this

Complaint to FCC: Verizon mustn't bar 4G tethering | Deep Tech - CNET News

Other than that. Like i said "rumor" I hope it is false and we get it soon. I'm tired of my phone rebooting.

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
http://forum.androidcentral.com/verizon-htc-thunderbolt/93736-update-rolling-out-tomorrow-6-15-a.html#post998481
I would think Jcase is a pretty good source. Wouldn't you?

Also possibly delayed because of this

Complaint to FCC: Verizon mustn't bar 4G tethering | Deep Tech - CNET News

Other than that. Like i said "rumor" I hope it is false and we get it soon. I'm tired of my phone rebooting.

If it was an outside reliable source I might believe it a little more... I guess I'll wait and see.

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Although interesting, I don't see any evidence that VZW has "blocked 4G tethering" anywhere at anytime. Result; frivolous or inapplicable lawsuit.

Remember, in legal documents, words matter!

-Frank

memphisboy

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
Im running the leaked Updated MR2 & I there is a file labeled "TetheringGuard" that is built into this build..This could possibly be installed to prevent the free tethering.

If it was an outside reliable source I might believe it a little more... I guess I'll wait and see.

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
So has anyone heard any "official" response on when or if the MR2 OTA upgrade will actually occur? I haven't seen anything substantiated since JCase originally identified the 15th at the date.

BTW....just joined the forum and have been trolling for about 3 weeks. Kudos to all for their hard work in development and keeping their ears to the ground for upcoming improvements. Don't hear boo from Beg Red till it already too late.

Thanks!:)

Brainfart

Apr 12, 2010
Visit site

Here's another 2 links that may convince you a tad bit more.

Verizon Extends Free 4G LTE Mobile Hotspot Offer Through July 6th for Thunderbolt, Charge and Revolution - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

http://www.engadget.com/2011/06/15/verizon-prolongs-its-free-hotspot-party-on-4g-lte-phones-but-th/

In there stated a software update on July 6th to remove the Mobile Hotspot offer. That is where people are getting that date from i'm guessing. 4th paragraph down.

Last edited:

Buzzy42

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
Do the two have to be mutually inclusive? I don't see why they wouldn't want (and wouldn't it be safer) to release MR2 when it's ready, as a semi-optional update, but they'd need to do a "forced" OTA (or whatever needs to be done, there's some speculation it's not that big of a deal) to turn off free tethering which would only be a smaller (and mandatory) change in policy.

Yes, I'm hopeful to get MR2 (even though my Bolt is still stock, I'd like some of the fixes and hopefully none of the reboots of MR1) ASAP, but I don't see why the 2 need to go together.

Brainfart

Apr 12, 2010
Visit site
It's allot simpler to push 1 update than to schedule 2. Especially if HTC already has Gingerbread finished (I'm hoping they will incorporate MR2 into Gingerbread ans push by July 6th since technically this is summer and that's when HTC said we would see Gingerbread for the TBolt). It would make more sense to push 1 where everything is combined.

CMRobinson

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
I thought it had been determined that no OTA was necessary for to cease the free hot spot? Was that information proven to be false?

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I thought it had been determined that no OTA was necessary for to cease the free hot spot? Was that information proven to be false?
That is my opinion. Even the VZW statements have simply said an update will remove the free "offer". Nothing on the phone was ever mentioned. And I, as an IT Pro, see no need to touch the app on the phone. However, that doesn't preclude the possibility of an update for the app. I just don't see the requirement for a new app.

And, about the title of this thread. Do not be confused. As of 11:14: MDT, NO ONE has updated their TBolt with the officially pushed out MR2.

-Frank

CMRobinson

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
That is my opinion. Even the VZW statements have simply said an update will remove the free "offer". Nothing on the phone was ever mentioned. And I, as an IT Pro, see no need to touch the app on the phone. However, that doesn't preclude the possibility of an update for the app. I just don't see the requirement for a new app.

And, about the title of this thread. Do not be confused. As of 11:14: MDT, NO ONE has updated their TBolt with the officially pushed out MR2.

-Frank
I don't think it was just you Frank, I thought someone else with similiar experience in a call center speculated that only a change in the system would be necessary. Speculation being the key word I suppose. We will see.

Vance14

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
I love that "somejuan"! Must be a voice command error, but it makes me think that you are anticipating that some random "Juan" will do this! :)