Sudden Battery Issue

skeemmer

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
I've had my TB since it's been released. I know we all have Battery issues/Complaints, but on Friday I my phone was dieing extremely quick. I have my phone charged over night, and by 11 AM it was dead...I had to charge my phone 3 times that day. The next couple of days, it was back to normal. Now yesterday and today, it's doing it again. Within a span of 3 hours, I went from 100% battery life to 25%. This happening to anyone else??

SoDev

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Do you have any other batteries you can try? So you can know if it's the battery or the phone.

tyra231

Jun 12, 2011
Visit site
That happened to me and a simple reboot never helped. I complained to Verizon till they sent me another phone. Now it works awesomely

Who?

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
I've had my TB since it's been released. I know we all have Battery issues/Complaints, but on Friday I my phone was dieing extremely quick. I have my phone charged over night, and by 11 AM it was dead...I had to charge my phone 3 times that day. The next couple of days, it was back to normal. Now yesterday and today, it's doing it again. Within a span of 3 hours, I went from 100% battery life to 25%. This happening to anyone else??

I've been having serious battery issues as well over the past few days, when I never really did before. I went to sleep with 44% battery life on my TBolt last night, woke up and the phone was off, completely off. Plugged it in, turned it on and it said 17%. Weird.

I've also noticed that it's charging at a lot slower rate than it did last week. I've started deleting apps I don't use, and this morning I ratcheted up Watchdog's polling intervals and alert thresholds to catch rogue apps and processes, but nothing's come up yet. Soft resets used to stop temporary battery over-drain; they don't anymore.

Adding this to the list of reasons why I'd never recommend the TBolt to anyone, even though I'm ok with it (but that's because I came to the TBolt from WinMo). :(

Drootz

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site

The EXACT same thing has been happening to me. I am trying to figure out what is causing it. I think it's related to a recent app update, but am having trouble tracking it down. There were only a few apps I have updated since it started happening that I can think of. Started 3 or 4 days ago for me.....BUT EXACT SAME ISSUE and same with the person who posted just above this one....????

I watched it happen last night around 11:34 or so. What happened was my screen lit up just like I had pressed the power key I pressed nothing BTW (it was charging at the time since about 9:30 and I just looked at it and then the screen timed back out and went off) then a few minutes later I noticed my led turn a solid orange, so I tried to press the power button to power on the screen and nothing happens but the phone then pulse vibrates, and then I can press the power button as much as I want but is unresponsive. I pulled the battery and put it back it. But at this point it was like the phone thought the battery was dead. I had to charge it a few minutes then try to power on again and it worked. So i powered back up then turned it off to let it charge while off and sure enough I go to turn it on this am and no charging light was even on and the phone battery was dead? Anyone have any ideas?

I am rooted and running stock.

Did you update your Superuser lately? I think I updated that just a few days ago and think it might be related....Only reason I was thinking that is that the superuser.bin had to be modded in the first place to get it to work originally with the thunderbolt.

I really can't think of too many other apps that I have updated lately (angry birds rio and superuser, can't think of much else.....)

I just wiped the battery stats this morning in CWM to see if that helps.

I am half tempted to do a restore just to see if it fixes it.

What is the best way to track a rogue app or track the battery use? Or can I run a log of some sort to track it down?

Any help is appreciated,
Drootz

Xharakov

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
Mine had uncharacteristically lousy battery performance the other day. Unplugged it at 7am, and by 11am it was down to below 50%, with NO USE - talk, text, IM, nothing. Screen showed 1x as well, where it should have shown 3G.
BUT.... I live in a city where 4G was supposed to go live within the week, and the next afternoon, I showed 4G on the phone 2 days before it was supposed to go live (today). I think my battery goofy-ness was from network issues only, not the phone. OP you wouldn't happen to live in a place where 4G is being readied?

Drootz

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
Mine had uncharacteristically lousy battery performance the other day. Unplugged it at 7am, and by 11am it was down to below 50%, with NO USE - talk, text, IM, nothing. Screen showed 1x as well, where it should have shown 3G.
BUT.... I live in a city where 4G was supposed to go live within the week, and the next afternoon, I showed 4G on the phone 2 days before it was supposed to go live (today). I think my battery goofy-ness was from network issues only, not the phone. OP you wouldn't happen to live in a place where 4G is being readied?

I've lived in a 4g area from the day the phone went live and haven't had this problem til just 3-4 days ago. I think this is more app related....Because my wife has the exact same phone and is having No Issues whatsoever.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
The EXACT same thing has been happening to me. I am trying to figure out what is causing it. I think it's related to a recent app update, but am having trouble tracking it down. There were only a few apps I have updated since it started happening that I can think of. Started 3 or 4 days ago for me.....BUT EXACT SAME ISSUE and same with the person who posted just above this one....????

I watched it happen last night around 11:34 or so. What happened was my screen lit up just like I had pressed the power key I pressed nothing BTW (it was charging at the time since about 9:30 and I just looked at it and then the screen timed back out and went off) then a few minutes later I noticed my led turn a solid orange, so I tried to press the power button to power on the screen and nothing happens but the phone then pulse vibrates, and then I can press the power button as much as I want but is unresponsive. I pulled the battery and put it back it. But at this point it was like the phone thought the battery was dead. I had to charge it a few minutes then try to power on again and it worked. So i powered back up then turned it off to let it charge while off and sure enough I go to turn it on this am and no charging light was even on and the phone battery was dead? Anyone have any ideas?

I am rooted and running stock.

Did you update your Superuser lately? I think I updated that just a few days ago and think it might be related....Only reason I was thinking that is that the superuser.bin had to be modded in the first place to get it to work originally with the thunderbolt.

I really can't think of too many other apps that I have updated lately (angr) birds rio and superuser, can't think of much else.....)

I just wiped the battery stats this morning in CWM to see if that helps.

I am half tempted to do a restore just to see if it fixes it.

What is the best way to track a rogue app or track the battery use? Or can I run a log of some sort to track it down?

Any help is appreciated,
Drootz

Try using a new battery.

Watchdog is good at finding rogue apps. It is free Amazon app of the day today.

Battery monitor widget is good to see and log power consumption.

You can also install juice defender to turn off the radio when screen is off.

You can also try to clear cache and dalvik cache.

If that doesn't work, return it to stock and do a factory reset, if that doesn't work, call Verizon for a replacement.

rabernet

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I don't remember which day last week, but I also had a day where I was losing charge quickly (and I'm not rooted). It was coincidentally the same day that I purchased Easy Tether Pro from the Amazon App market, and I thought that it was the culprit.

My co-worker heard me fussing and asked what was wrong and I told him "SOMEthing is chewing up my battery, and I don't know what it is! It's been on the charger, but it's LOSING charge, not gaining any!"

Seemed to only affect me that day.

bulldogmoe7

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
funny you did this post. since monday my battery is sh** unplug 7am by 10:30- 11am battery is down to 18% or so. today i looked to see what was using my battery and an 18 min phone call, the only call i did till i put it on charge used 49% battery. cant be an app, if others are having the same issue,

Who?

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
I watched it happen last night around 11:34 or so. What happened was my screen lit up just like I had pressed the power key I pressed nothing BTW (it was charging at the time since about 9:30 and I just looked at it and then the screen timed back out and went off) then a few minutes later I noticed my led turn a solid orange, so I tried to press the power button to power on the screen and nothing happens but the phone then pulse vibrates, and then I can press the power button as much as I want but is unresponsive. I pulled the battery and put it back it.

I had a similar issue on Tuesday. I had been driving for about 30 minutes, listening to music on Winamp. A song finishes, and the next song doesn't start. I think that I'm at the end of a playlist, so I try to turn on the screen. Screen won't turn on. Need to pull the battery in order for the phone to turn back on. The battery wasn't dead or even close to empty (it was above 40%); after the battery pull the phone restarted with no issues.

Something's up. (I'm completely stock, not rooted).

Drootz

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
I don't remember which day last week, but I also had a day where I was losing charge quickly (and I'm not rooted). It was coincidentally the same day that I purchased Easy Tether Pro from the Amazon App market, and I thought that it was the culprit.

My co-worker heard me fussing and asked what was wrong and I told him "SOMEthing is chewing up my battery, and I don't know what it is! It's been on the charger, but it's LOSING charge, not gaining any!"

Seemed to only affect me that day.

Let's list our apps and see if we can find one in common we all have since there are a few of us reporting basically the same issue
I'll start here goes the list (it's long)
adfree
adobe reader
adw ex
angry birds, angry birds lite, angry birds seasons, angry birds rio
apps 2 sd
amazon app store
appstore reminder
ataroid
barcode scanner
bubba army app
cardstar
chrome to phone
color note
debt payoff lite
dolphin browser
droid tv
dropbox
fifa10
flex T9
fly delta
foursquare
fring
fruit ninja
gameboid
gbcoid
gearoid
gensoid
harborside
hbo go
home switcher
Yahoo Live scores
launcherpro plus
lookout
yahoo mail app
google music beta player
my vzw app (unreleased for Tbolt)
mybackuppro
myreminders
n64oid
nesoid
nfs shift
nhl gamecenter
pac man
pageonce travel
parcels
permission dog
pic say pro
playstation official app (unreleased euro ver)
google reader
revision 3
ringdroid
ringleader pro
rom manager
rom fetcher classic root explorer
espn score center
shootme
smrtguard
snesoid
speedtest
steak time
superuser
swiftkey x beta
swype 3.0
tapatalk
tether
tetris
the hockeynews
titanium backup
tivo remote
tune in radio pro
watchdog (just put on this a hour ago)
worldmate
xda premium
xfinity mobile
yelp

My issue is def. something causing an interupt in the battery charge or causing excessive battery draining! Because it was on the charger for over 2 hours then it went wonky and wouldn't power on without a batt pull and then it was like the entire 2 hour charge did nothing.....it was completely dead and had to charge for a few seconds before I could even power it on.

What makes it stranger is I powered phone off completely last night and charged it with phone OFF....This AM I go to turn it on and there is no led indicator on (usually it is green when I wake up and fully charged) So I try to turn on and nothing....so I unplug and replug into the charger and it starts charging. So it seems like it's just not holding a charge at all.

I have another battery and I am going to swap them out tonight and see if it makes a difference to try to isolate whether it's a battery issue or app issue. But with so many others having a similar issue, it has to be something like an app we have in common.

Just in case Rooted, Running stock, and still on the Original software NOT Mr1 or Mr2

Last edited:

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
Count me in. I've been doing some tests each day to see if I can figure out whats going on. Never had any battery problems until I flashed the MR2 radio and the Bamf GB rom. I'm not sure if its the rom or the radio. If I can't figure this out I'm gonna have to go back to the old radio.. everything was working fine for me with that radio... had good battery life and I wasnt even getting the reboot problem that everyone else seem to be experiencing. My phones draining from fully charged in about 5 hours with barely any use. I was originally getting through the whole day without having to charge. Now I'm charging my phone by noon and then again around 5pm.

Maddog241

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
Count me in. I've been doing some tests each day to see if I can figure out whats going on. Never had any battery problems until I flashed the MR2 radio and the Bamf GB rom. I'm not sure if its the rom or the radio. If I can't figure this out I'm gonna have to go back to the old radio.. everything was working fine for me with that radio... had good battery life and I wasnt even getting the reboot problem that everyone else seem to be experiencing. My phones draining from fully charged in about 5 hours with barely any use. I was originally getting through the whole day without having to charge. Now I'm charging my phone by noon and then again around 5pm.

This is speculation on my part, but I believe this is network related. Most every day I am able to get a full day out of my phone, but every once in a while, my battery drops like a rock. These drops happen with no changes to the phone. I believe that there are times when the 4G network goes in and out and I can see this if I watch the data connection on the phone come and go. I'm thinking this would put a significant drain on the battery.

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
Whats weird is the battery seems to be okay while I'm using the phone. If I turn the screen off and then check my phone a few minutes later.. there's a significant drop.

d1ez3

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
get battery monitor widget to see what current you are using (in mA). then when the phone is draining fast look at the number. Anything over 90 is a bad drain, mines usually 300-500 while doing nothing. I put it in airplane mode and it goes down to 34mA, the normal idle. So the problem seems to be the radio

JohnyLunchmeat

May 1, 2011
Visit site
This has happened to me a few times as well and today was killer. It's only happened about 3 times since I got the phone. No new apps have been installed recently.

Today I charged my phone via USB off my computer at work ( I know it charges slower this way) and it stayed at 30% for an hour so I took it off and plugged it into the car charger where it took a slow charge according to the battery indicator.

One reboot and two battery pulls later it charged like normal at home with the wall charger. As of right now I'm at 79% battery after being off the charger for 1 hour 43 minutes which seems about right considering I talked for a half hour and browsed a bit.

On a few other days I could swear my battery was lasting longer than normal, maybe it's me.

mmontel

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
Same thing happened to me. The last two days my battery has drained fast and yesterday, like someone else posted, without much use the battery was down to 50% by 11 am and it took forever to charge it. I eventaully had the usual random lost data connection that seems to happen like the random reboots so I had to shut down and restart. Hopefully the phone will be back to normal today. I so wish I never did the software update. No problems at all until that.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evinrude