Cell tower location app?

0pusX

May 27, 2010
Visit site
I know this belongs in the App Forum but I posted it there and have not had any responses so I figured I would ask here since I know i read about one, in one of these Tblot threads.

I am looking for an app that will show me which tower I am currently attached to.

dms76

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I don't think this truly tells you which tower you are using. It's telling me that I am connected at coordinates that I know there is no tower. Also the directional arrow doesn't do much good either. This app seems more for GSM then CDMA.

One Radical Dude

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
I think Netmonitor does a better job trying to locate cell site location. However, it will force close while using eHRPD or LTE/CDMA. There needs to be an update to resolve the issue.

Last edited:

stearic

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
I use the program cellfinder to find the cell towers. Shows a map of where it's at and if you have GPS turned on, will tell you where you are in relation to said tower that you are using.

One Radical Dude

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
Looks like they updated the Netmonitor app. Try that one. I know for a fact that what they show me on a map point to actual cell sites locally. On other apps, they don't really do that, at least from my experience. Give it a shot and see if you like it. I pick up 3-4 different sites.

mman609

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Living in the middle of nowhere, I seem to need an app that will show me the towers I'm not connecting to! As soon as I'm out of range of any towers, the battery drop in all of my phones has been tremendous as the phone keeps looking and hoping for a signal. But the boundaries of my active zone are well known through experience, so the phone gets shut down quickly to hold onto that remaining charge.

I wish Verizon would think our calls were as important as we think of them and stick a few more towers up here. At least the white areas on the coverage map are smaller than the other carrier available here.

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Looks like they updated the Netmonitor app. Try that one. I know for a fact that what they show me on a map point to actual cell sites locally. On other apps, they don't really do that, at least from my experience. Give it a shot and see if you like it. I pick up 3-4 different sites.
Couldn't find the app under that name. Any help?

-Frank

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Netmonitor is there. Not sure why you do not see it, unless you misspelled it or something. Try typing in "Netmonitor" via market.android.com and see if you can install it from there.
Thanks. Found it now. I was typing two words "Net Monitor". Got a bazillion hits :)

Anyway, from what I see it doesn't do maps like Open Signal, right? Or did I miss something?

-Frank

One Radical Dude

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
Thanks. Found it now. I was typing two words "Net Monitor". Got a bazillion hits :)

Anyway, from what I see it doesn't do maps like Open Signal, right? Or did I miss something?

-Frank

When you first pull up Netmonitor, it will give you the section with signal strength,network type, operator, etc. At the very bottom, you see three icons. The lower left gives you the info you see, when you first pull up the application. The middle one is just a log. The one on the lower right will display the map, and it will show your location and a box in green (indicating what cell site location you're connected to, the numbers inside is the BID number, whatever that stands for. :p). If the box is in red, you're no longer hitting that site, but you did previously.

Reactions: FrankXS

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
When you first pull up Netmonitor, it will give you the section with signal strength,network type, operator, etc. At the very bottom, you see three icons. The lower left gives you the info you see, when you first pull up the application. The middle one is just a log. The one on the lower right will display the map, and it will show your location and a box in green (indicating what cell site location you're connected to, the numbers inside is the BID number, whatever that stands for. :p). If the box is in red, you're no longer hitting that site, but you did previously.
Thanks! Appreciate the detailed descriptoin.

-Frank