3G icon over WiFi?

dannychaos

High Five Champion
Mar 10, 2010
Visit site
Sometimes I notice that the 3G icon comes on while I'm on a WiFi connection. Is that normal? I never noticed it on my Eris and I've notice it on my TB for quite a while now. Now, the 3G icon comes and goes though and the up and down arrows are never flashing, just dark. My main concern is if I'm using data at the same time or if that's even possible. Anybody have noticed this on their tbolts? Is this normal? BTW, I do have the WiFi connection and mobile connection checked on at my settings.

Any insight would be great.

Thank you!

itsdollar

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
If I'm on wifi the only time I see the 3G icon is when the wifi connection goes in and out. Does your connection get interrupted? I also leave on mobile network.

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I can duplictate this every single time I do a "softwrae, check for updates". When I check for updates while on Wifi, the 3G or 4G indicator comes on, does the check (arrows both ways, twice) and when I click OK (no updates avaialbe at this time) the RF data idicator goes away.

I have always assumed that this is because the software update funciton requires RF data to actually accomplish an update, so, it starts the data radio when you start the update program. It is repeatable each and every time. I have never seen this happen in any other program. Normally, once a Wifi connection is made, RF data stays off until you drop the Wifi connection.

-Frank

hannsoft

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
Frank, I see here what you see. But I also get the 3G (and sometimes even the 1X) icons sporadically while connected via Wifi. No idea why those times happen.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Frank, I see here what you see. But I also get the 3G (and sometimes even the 1X) icons sporadically while connected via Wifi. No idea why those times happen.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk
My guess is that you have an app loaded that requires RF data and it is syncing/updating itself. Take for example the VZW Locator service (based on tower location). Or possibly a RF Tower Locator program. I have two of those but never use them while of Wifi for obvious reasons and I am always judicious about telling my programs not to auto-sync during installation. Anyway, I'm sure there are a few programs out there that work specifically on RF data (especially RF utility programs). So, you might check to see if you have anything like that auto-updating or syncing. Other than that, I don't know.

As far as whether you get 1X or 3G, I imagine that depends on whatever RF data radio can get a connection at that time.

-Frank

dannychaos

High Five Champion
Mar 10, 2010
Visit site
Damn, I don't like it. I mean I have WiFi on for a reason. I'm gonna check off mobile network and see if that will help.

Also, what is "RF data" and what apps use it and why? Why not just the WiFi?

jstewart0131

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Damn, I don't like it. I mean I have WiFi on for a reason. I'm gonna check off mobile network and see if that will help.

Also, what is "RF data" and what apps use it and why? Why not just the WiFi?
RF data mentioned above is just data being transmitted over the cell network (1x, 3g or 4g). My Verizon Mobile app and the Verizon Backup Assistant app have to be manually authenticated to if you are using a WiFi connection. Both apps automatically sync through the cell network otherwise. You wouldn't want to have to manually login to the Backup Assistant every time it does a backup/sync. It isn't going to use much data and I don't believe data from either app counts towards your monthly bandwidth usage if you are worried about that.

dannychaos

High Five Champion
Mar 10, 2010
Visit site
Ok, that makes since. I take for example when VZW sends you a text about your bill it doesnt count toward your text per month use.

dragonsamus

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
If you're worried about using your data just turn off mobile data when using WiFi. I've noticed this when sending picture messages.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20