30 June Update Doubtful

Mortiel

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
Just to give you all an update, the rumored Gingerbread update likely will not hit June 30th. I do not know when it is really planned, if at all, however I checked the approved software list (when Verizon approves a software update for any device, it goes on that list immediately), there was no new software approved for the Thunderbolt.

Usually there is an obvious lag time between a software approval and the actual push data, so even if they approved it tomorrow, it would likely be as little as a few days up to a week or more before it hits your phone. It is usually announced publicly shortly after approval.

Example: The MR1 for the Thunderbolt was approved 04/29/11. Pushed to phones 05/20/11.

So sad to say I doubt the rumor of a June 30th or the official statement of a "second half of June" fix will likely not happen, but do not fret! It will be out soon!

BattleSwine

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I wish I was surprised... I had hoped for the reboot issue to be fixed by the end of June. When Gingerbread upgrade was included in the announcement I figured the amount of validation testing required went way up. Don't get me wrong. I want Gingerbread 2.3.4, but figured it was going to be a separate OTA update down the road. Reboot issue fix + Gingerbread + Skype (has been part of rebooting issue) + MyVerizon (didn't noticed how much I used it on my previous phones until it was incompatible with TBolt) + June 30th = way to good to be true.....

bjboucher

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
I wish I was surprised... I had hoped for the reboot issue to be fixed by the end of June. When Gingerbread upgrade was included in the announcement I figured the amount of validation testing required went way up. Don't get me wrong. I want Gingerbread 2.3.4, but figured it was going to be a separate OTA update down the road. Reboot issue fix + Gingerbread + Skype (has been part of rebooting issue) + MyVerizon (didn't noticed how much I used it on my previous phones until it was incompatible with TBolt) + June 30th = way to good to be true.....

You can fix the reboot issue yourself if you really want to. Just install the leaked MR2 update. Requires no rooting and takes about 10 minutes. Also comes with MyVerizon.

Reactions: shipwrestler125

Mike_is_Mike

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
Just to give you all an update, the rumored Gingerbread update likely will not hit June 30th. I do not know when it is really planned, if at all, however I checked the approved software list (when Verizon approves a software update for any device, it goes on that list immediately), there was no new software approved for the Thunderbolt.

Usually there is an obvious lag time between a software approval and the actual push data, so even if they approved it tomorrow, it would likely be as little as a few days up to a week or more before it hits your phone. It is usually announced publicly shortly after approval.

Example: The MR1 for the Thunderbolt was approved 04/29/11. Pushed to phones 05/20/11.

So sad to say I doubt the rumor of a June 30th or the official statement of a "second half of June" fix will likely not happen, but do not fret! It will be out soon!

"Do not fret! It will be out soon!"

That seems to be the over all theme of the Thunderbolt.

- When will it announced? Do not fret! It will be out soon!
- When will it be released? Do not fret! It will be out soon!
- When will it get Skype? Do not fret! It will be out soon!
- When will the audio recording work correctly? Do not fret! It will be soon!
- When will the GPS work correctly? Do not fret! It will be soon!
- When will it stop rebooting? Do not fret! It will be soon!
- When will it get GB? Do not fret! It will be out soon!

Reactions: abomb78

robrecht

Pretty good member
Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
... Usually there is an obvious lag time between a software approval and the actual push data, so even if they approved it tomorrow, it would likely be as little as a few days up to a week or more before it hits your phone. It is usually announced publicly shortly after approval.

Example: The MR1 for the Thunderbolt was approved 04/29/11. Pushed to phones 05/20/11....
We typically know about an update (and have it) long before it is approved, eg, MR2 & MR2.5. Your examlpe of the MR1 was actually available to us on 4/19, 10 days before it was "approved". And the person to whom it was leaked was also told later it was not approved, and would not be pushed out, but it was anyway. No explanation why. Developers predicted the (exacerbated) rebooting problem with this OTA update. Verizon first announced and said they would be pushing it out on May 3rd. Don't recall any explanation why it was stopped, but maybe someone realized there was a problem. But then they started pushing it out on May 12th (not sure what your May 20th date refers to).

[ruu][rooted][MR1 aka OTA] CONFIRM Build Number: 1.13.605.7 Baseband: 1.16.00.0402w_1 - xda-developers

http://www.androidcentral.com/thunderbolt-sofware-update-rolling-out-today-says-verizon-tweet

kissmeimirish May 3, 2011: "Will this fix the random reboots? Hope so"

http://www.androidcentral.com/thunderbolt-update-unofficially-delayed-or-least-very-very-slow

Verizon should do a better job of testing this stuff or at least listen to their customers who usually have a better understanding of problems than they do.

Last edited:

thozgyz

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
I don't even care if I get cookiepuss v. 0.0.034.! I just want the REBOOTS TO STOP!. I had 6 last night within 3 hours. Uncalled for! It's a phone not an alien spaceship for crying out loud! FIGURE IT OUT!

Mike_is_Mike

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site

Yet one more disappoint from Thunderdud.

Kronko

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
Mortiel, I got the ota update May the 12th, one day before the published the date of May 13th as the official date on Verizon website. I believe your dates are not accurate.

Sent from my HTC Thunderbolt.

robrecht

Pretty good member
Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Mortiel, I got the ota update May the 12th, one day before the published the date of May 13th as the official date on Verizon website. I believe your dates are not accurate.

Sent from my HTC Thunderbolt.
I think the 20th must have been the day that the memo from the guy who canceled the update was finally received by the guy that cranks up the OTA machine. Maybe Verizon should go back to using vacuum tubes for interoffice memos.

Thanks, Robrecht

Puterguru

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
"Do not fret! It will be out soon!"

That seems to be the over all theme of the Thunderbolt.

- When will it announced? Do not fret! It will be out soon!
- When will it be released? Do not fret! It will be out soon!
- When will it get Skype? Do not fret! It will be out soon!
- When will the audio recording work correctly? Do not fret! It will be soon!
- When will the GPS work correctly? Do not fret! It will be soon!
- When will it stop rebooting? Do not fret! It will be soon!
- When will it get GB? Do not fret! It will be out soon!

Adding to the list.
-When will it get Netflix?
-When will it get Hulu Plus?

bjboucher

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
I don't even care if I get cookiepuss v. 0.0.034.! I just want the REBOOTS TO STOP!. I had 6 last night within 3 hours. Uncalled for! It's a phone not an alien spaceship for crying out loud! FIGURE IT OUT!

I really don't understand why people who are having serious reboot problems don't just install the leaked MR2 update. It worked for most of us and is not difficult to install. Why keep waiting for this update if your phone is that bad???

Reactions: dragonsamus

jday

May 1, 2011
Visit site
I really don't understand why people who are having serious reboot problems don't just install the leaked MR2 update. It worked for most of us and is not difficult to install. Why keep waiting for this update if your phone is that bad???
I'm sure some people don't want to mess with having to reload everything and all their settings since the leaked MR2 wipes their phones. Supposedly, the OTA will NOT wipe the phone so for some people it's worth waiting a little longer.

BrianTufo

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
To the person asking about Netflix and Hulu don't ask VzW or HTC because it's not up to them. It's up to the irresponsible morons that work for those two idiodic companies. The fact they have chosen a few phones that no one cares about shows their stupidity and rush just to say they are available now.

As far as the update it wasn't going to be GB anyways. MULTIPLE very reliable sources have said numerous times it was NOT going to be GB.

For the reboot issue, dude if you aren't rooted then root and flash a different ROM. I've used numerous different ROMs and in the past month I have had 1 random reboot. Don't wait for VzW/HTC to give us fixes/updates the forums will always give us stuff before and stuff that is better quality then vendors!

qbngator

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
You can fix the reboot issue yourself if you really want to. Just install the leaked MR2 update. Requires no rooting and takes about 10 minutes. Also comes with MyVerizon.

No rooting involved? I must have missed that post. Do you have a link with the steps to install without rooting?

Mordecaidrake

Dec 24, 2009
Visit site
It's stuff like this that makes me regret loving Android sometimes. I knew I should have waited. I love this phone, but I'm sick and tired of them dragging their feet with correcting it's issues.

Reactions: soccerfon711

matt0715

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
didnt verizon and htc say it was going to come in Q2? whats the deal? If they dont get the update out by the end of tomorrow, i am buying nexus devices for now on.

soccerfon711

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
It's stuff like this that makes me regret loving Android sometimes. I knew I should have waited. I love this phone, but I'm sick and tired of them dragging their feet with correcting it's issues.

I do not want to root my phone for it to work correctly. THAT is the biggest problem with Android. Until Google sorts out the updating problem, I cannot wholeheartedly recommend Android devices. :(

PJnc284

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
meh. If I wasn't going to root it and had no intentions of making the phone what I wanted, I would've just gotten an iphone regardless of how much I dislike apple. The development community is the biggest plus for Android and can't be matched by anyone else.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc