My thunderbolt just shuts off by itself

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
My thunderbolt just shuts off by itself.
Just when I've got everything working as i would like it to a new problem... My tbolt shuts off without warning. I've had a couple of random reboots but i can live with those. I cant live with thinking my phone is on when it isnt missing important calls. It has nothing to do with charge level or any other conditions i can think of. Pbone is asleep in my case and i check it and it is just off.

Is this likely a problem with the phone or due to some combo of apps? Does it happen to others? I am not rooted.

dcviper

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site
It's actually a very common problem that people who are much smarter than me attribute to the radio software that came with the MR1 update. (Note: Verizon is not on the list of people smarter than me, as they won't acknowledge that the radio is the problem) If you don't want to root and flash a leaked radio, I suggest you call and complain to Verizon, and perhaps that will help speed the resolution.

peter_kandra

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
I went to the Verizon store Friday night to ***** and moan about my Thunderbolt. I have few few random reboots, and I can live with that, but for the past few weeks its been freezing up peridically, forcing a battery pull or reboot. Their tech support solution was to do a factory data reset. After about 30 minutes of me complaining, etc., that's what I finally agreed to. The factory reset seems to have resolved the freezing issue and believe it or not, seems to have helped out my battery life. The tech support manager also stated that the software update isn't expected until at least the middle to 3rd week of July either.

Mike_is_Mike

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
I went to the Verizon store Friday night to ***** and moan about my Thunderbolt. I have few few random reboots, and I can live with that, but for the past few weeks its been freezing up peridically, forcing a battery pull or reboot. Their tech support solution was to do a factory data reset. After about 30 minutes of me complaining, etc., that's what I finally agreed to. The factory reset seems to have resolved the freezing issue and believe it or not, seems to have helped out my battery life. The tech support manager also stated that the software update isn't expected until at least the middle to 3rd week of July either.

Actually the update was expected last month, but since it didn't come NOW the expect it in July, if it doesn't come in July they will expect it to come in August.

In other words, they have no clue when it will come. It is more likely that WE will know before they do.

Glad you got your TB freezing issue corrected.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
This is not one of the "normal" Thunderbolt problems, you two both need to take your phones back for replacements. No one knows when the update will get here, it could be months.

So the fact that my tbolt shuts itself off means i should return the phone? My phone doesnt freeze e er. It either reboots or shuts itself off when sleeping

Mike_is_Mike

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
So the fact that my tbolt shuts itself off means i should return the phone? My phone doesnt freeze e er. It either reboots or shuts itself off when sleeping

Which means it's not functioning properly, it's defective. Mine doesn't reboot or freeze, or shut off by it's self.

If you want to wait to see if the fix corrects the problems, that is your prerogative.

But be aware that the wait could be a long one - and with no guarantee that, if and when it comes, it will fix your particular problems. Good luck.

russ2387

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
I am rooted, and have had that issue. I used set cpu, turned up the MINIMUM cpu setting and have not had it happen since... Its possible its coincidence, time will tell.

russ2387

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Btw... I highly recommend rooting and installing a new radio. (MR2. 5) All of the problems went away when i did it. Like reboots, gps issues, etc etc. Plus i have netflix.!

bjboucher

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
My phone used to randomly shut off every once in awhile. I haven't had a problem since I installed the leaked Mr2 update. I'm pretty sure the shut downs are related to the reboots, just sometimes they'll shut off instead of rebooting. The next update that comes out should address the problems, or you can install the MR2 update now which will most likely fix it as well.

J2Red

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
Shutting off by itself? Are you sure its not the battery running out, its a tricky one since you would expect your phone to last longer than 6hrs between charges :)

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Absolutely positive that the phone is well charged. It even happened once while BEING charged.

I called vzw and the wonder technician i spoke to said they have to alerts at all about problems of any kind with thunderbolt.

I called htc and they told me to do a factory reset like its no big deal. If i have to reinstall every free app and do all the settings for every app all over again it might as well be on a new phone.

Ive not pulled the battery in several days so i switched back from the extended battery to the factory battery. I'm going to see if it happens again. If it does I'm gonna exchange the phone but only if i get a brand new one. A friend of mine got a "factory refurbished phone" when he returned his for an unrelated problem.

My phone never jams. No data errors. Everying is great except it shuts itself off about once a day for no reason.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Which means it's not functioning properly, it's defective. Mine doesn't reboot or freeze, or shut off by it's self.

If you want to wait to see if the fix corrects the problems, that is your prerogative.

But be aware that the wait could be a long one - and with no guarantee that, if and when it comes, it will fix your particular problems. Good luck.

There's also no guarantee that the next 3 tbolts i return wont be as bad or worse from comments i've read here.
It's frustrating. I wish i could have gotten a bionic or 4g x2. I never had these problems with my d1. I had one other htc phone, a windows phone, and it gave me so much trouble that i exchanged it for the d1. Im starting to think that all htc products are poorly engineered.

brohammer619

Oct 23, 2010
Visit site
If you call Verizon tech support and tell them that after the update your phone now randomly reboots they will send you a refurb phone. They are well aware of the problem and didn't even hesitate to send me a new one as long as it's under warranty. If you want to expedite the process just tell them that you already tried a factory reset and it still does it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance