Verizon LG G2: Unable to set different Text Tones

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Help. I know how to update the text tones, but that does it on ALL contacts. I am unable to modify a text tone per user? Any advise???

Thanks!

From the reports I've seen so far, that option was removed from or overlooked in the Verzion version software for some unknown reason. The AT&T (and maybe others) version has a section called "Message Alerts" when editing a contact.

unarmedwoody

Sep 19, 2013
Visit site
Guess it's to early to tell if Verizon will fix that?

I must use different text tones for work contacts, do they make an app I can use instead of the stock LG app? IDK if free or pay... what is the best one..

I'm a noob, as I just swapped over from iOS. Ugh, something so simple is my biggest pain :)

TrekkieMonster

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
NinjaSMS works great...has individual tones and is floating like a chat head.

Posted via Android Central App

Just curious: have you tested whether NinjaSMS (or any of the other apps) work with TextLink? Have already used this feature a couple of times and found it surprisingly handy.

TrekkieMonster

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
p.s. - does anyone use Verizon Tones, by chance? I'm curious whether the VZW app lets you assign different tones to individual contacts and thinking if so, perhaps this is why Verizon removed this functionality; to drive us to their app. And I promise I'm not a corporate "conspiracy theorist", but it just occurred to me that this might at least explain what is otherwise inexplicable: that is, why they would remove the individual text assignment option in contacts.

unarmedwoody

Sep 19, 2013
Visit site
I looked all around Verizon Tones; basically it's just a place to buy them from. Couldn't find a way to tie a tone back to specific contacts.

Saw a post about Chomp SMS. I had to turn off all the messaging notifications on the stock messaging app, and use the notification settings within Chomp SMS. Still, not a specific text notification option... but....if you long hold a current contact in Chomp SMS, hit settings, notifications .... there is a "ringtone" option you can select, never saw a text tone option.

From the ringtone option you can select Default or Current. By changing the current ringtone on the contact, it will be different than all the rest of contacts text tones. Seems like this is a backasswards way of doing it. Anyone got a better, more simple solution?

This is OK, but not legit. I can still use the standard messaging app, but have to rely on Chomp SMS for my notifications. Sorta deflating...

Kris Nelson

Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
Just curious: have you tested whether NinjaSMS (or any of the other apps) work with TextLink? Have already used this feature a couple of times and found it surprisingly handy.

It mirrors the stock messaging app so yes it does, you just need to go into the stock app to pull the info.

unarmedwoody

Sep 19, 2013
Visit site
Using Ninja SMS, but you can't delete a message from inside that app? I have to delete it from the LG text app?

Also, how to I get the notification to pop up on the screen (like the built in app) other than the top swipe down bar (I'm a noob with Android, idk what that is called!!!). Please note I have notifications on in the original text app still.

TrekkieMonster

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
It mirrors the stock messaging app so yes it does, you just need to go into the stock app to pull the info.

Thank you. Also, apologies for the delayed response; I totally thought I responded to this the other day.

Using Ninja SMS, but you can't delete a message from inside that app? I have to delete it from the LG text app?

Also, how to I get the notification to pop up on the screen (like the built in app) other than the top swipe down bar (I'm a noob with Android, idk what that is called!!!). Please note I have notifications on in the original text app still.

I don't know the answer to the the Ninja questions, but - as a fellow Android noob - I thought I'd share that I've heard the "swipe down bar" called the "Notification Shade"; similar to the iOS "Notification Center", if you're an iOS refugee like me. ;)

Kris Nelson

Jul 27, 2013
Visit site

There was just an update to Ninja this weekend. It's now in a list format like stock so you can now delete from Ninja itself... when you go into Ninja settings you have to enable it, choose from your list of contacts or use all, then on individual contacts you'll see a separate settings button on each, you can set them up as you please...you can change fonts, the chat head to different sizes, shapes, color, transparency etc...
I think there is a YouTube video if you run a search....that is likely more helpful

unarmedwoody

Sep 19, 2013
Visit site
Thanks, Kris.

I got an update pushed to my device yesterday for Ninja, gave it another whirl. I can modify notification tones (and more settings) per a contact just fine. IDK why, but on the contacts page inside Ninja, the upper right corner per each contact has a check mark. I can't deselect (uncheck) any of them like they do in the YouTube videos to modify one to many contacts to have the same notifications. Not really a big deal, just another point that isn't working on the Verizon LG G2, or it's just use error!!!

In Ninja, on the main window where it displays all the different text communications, you can't long hold a text to have a pop up to allow you to delete, I still have to do that via the default text app. I can't find anything on the interweb about it... yet :)

I tried Chomp SMS, it works more like the stock LG text app and lets me do the custom text tones per contact... but having fun with Ninja, not giving up yet!

Kris Nelson

Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
Thanks, Kris.

I got an update pushed to my device yesterday for Ninja, gave it another whirl. I can modify notification tones (and more settings) per a contact just fine. IDK why, but on the contacts page inside Ninja, the upper right corner per each contact has a check mark. I can't deselect (uncheck) any of them like they do in the YouTube videos to modify one to many contacts to have the same notifications. Not really a big deal, just another point that isn't working on the Verizon LG G2, or it's just use error!!!

In Ninja, on the main window where it displays all the different text communications, you can't long hold a text to have a pop up to allow you to delete, I still have to do that via the default text app. I can't find anything on the interweb about it... yet :)

I tried Chomp SMS, it works more like the stock LG text app and lets me do the custom text tones per contact... but having fun with Ninja, not giving up yet!

You should be able to uncheck/check as you like.. Do you happen to have the "choose all" on? If so, that will make it so you can't choose.. So check and see if that is on and slide it to off.

Deleting... Yep you are right you still can't seem to delete inside Ninja.. I'm sure he's working on it, it's been a requested feature by many. I don't think he originally intended to make Ninja a completely new and sperate texting app... but everyone likes it so much I think he's going that way. I know everyone is requesting MMS too. I personally just like it for the pop up, chat head, floating thing :)

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
unirockers