Skin/Carbon Fiber cover for back of LG G2

papachange05

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
I really want to be able to carry my G2 naked, but the back is in desperate need of a grease/fingerprint resistant covering. I haven't used an Invisibleshield/Bodyguardz style protector since my Palm Pre days, and have had no luck finding anything that is designed for the G2 so far. I would like to see this thread act similar to the "cases" forum, where we can all share what we've found, and what works best for them. I realize it may be a few weeks until a majority of the accessories start to release, but I have faith in this community that you can find anything!

Jeffk23

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
Remember, the Verizon version is slightly thicker do to the wireless charging capabilities. So, a cover that may fit the g2 on other carriers, may be too small for the Verizon g2.....

Posted via Android Central App

papachange05

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
Yep, that's why I started the thread in the Verizon sub-forum. Right now it seems like accessory manufacturers are just realizing that there are multiple versions of this phone. Why Verizon decided to change things up is beyond me. Wireless charging is not going to be the major selling point of this phone to most potential customers. The only company that has implemented wireless charging with any success was Palm.

antonyz409

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
I got a skinomi with a carbon fiber back and a screen protector from amazon. It fits really well and covers everything, installation was kind of hard you just have to be patient. Im surprised i got the right one since i ordered it before i knew verizon had a different phone.

papachange05

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
I got a skinomi with a carbon fiber back and a screen protector from amazon. It fits really well and covers everything, installation was kind of hard you just have to be patient. Im surprised i got the right one since i ordered it before i knew verizon had a different phone.

This actually looks very intriguing to me. What is your opinion of the back carbon fiber? I'm not going to be using the screen cover...

zack370z

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
Skinomi carbon fiber cover sucks, it feels weird and has rough edges,took it off after a day.

VideoEngineerAJS

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Skinomi carbon fiber cover sucks, it feels weird and has rough edges,took it off after a day.

Try the Zagg shield. I got mine off the Verizon site and got it Tuesday. The back is really easy to install and it's a matte finish so it gives you more grip.

VideoEngineerAJS

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
How does it look with just the back piece installed?

I think it looks pretty good. At first I was worried because it is a matte finish so I thought you wouldn't be able to see the color of the phone, but you can still see the color, you just can't tell it has a mirror finish. In fact I think the mirror finish of the phone and the matte shield produces a cool metallic effect.

anticlutch

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site
I just got the Skinomi carbon fiber skin in today and to be quite honest, I'm not too impressed. The quality of the skin itself is pretty good (seems to be 3M material) but two things bothered me about it. Firstly, even with a heatgun and careful smoothing the edges seem to catch on things so I'm not too sure how it'll last. Secondly, after application of the skin my phone's back started to creak quite a bit. Considering just how sticky the skin's backing is, I'm sure it's lifting the back plate enough for it to start creaking... prior to the skin, my phone had some flex in the back but no creaks. Overall? Not bad I guess, depending on what you were expecting this skin to do for you. Definitely good enough to use as a stopgap until better cases are released, IMO but long-term I'm not too sure how the edges will hold up.

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
Thinking about a piece of skateboard tape myself, now that would give some grip.

Ken7

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I think it looks pretty good. At first I was worried because it is a matte finish so I thought you wouldn't be able to see the color of the phone, but you can still see the color, you just can't tell it has a mirror finish. In fact I think the mirror finish of the phone and the matte shield produces a cool metallic effect.

Should have mine by Tuesday. I'm currently using the Incipio case from Verizon which is very nice, but I'm always looking for an even more 'minimalist' look.

Ken7

May 25, 2011
Visit site

Got mine today, but didn't like how it looked. Just couldn't get a smooth, bubble free look. I went back to the Incipio feather case.

VideoEngineerAJS

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Got mine today, but didn't like how it looked. Just couldn't get a smooth, bubble free look. I went back to the Incipio feather case.

It settles a lot over 48 hours. I was skeptical about it at first as I had some bubbles, but it really does settle. The back on mine is now completely smooth. I did have to smooth out the bubbles after about 24 to 36 hours, but it's completely smooth. If it didn't have an edge you would think it's how the phone came.

C_McGuire

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Not sure if this has been covered, but the Skinomi Carbon Fiber skin is no good. As other has said, the texture is very "scratchy" and the edges are rough. What you want to get is XGear's EXOSkin. It feels much nicer, is thinner, looks nicer, and has much better edges (because it's thinner).

The downside is that while you can peel off Skinomi's Carbon Fiber TechSkin, once you put XGear's EXOSkin on there, you can't remove it without ripping it. Still, I love it. I got graphite by accident, but then switched to black. It looks and feels great.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SandiR