Signal Reception?

CassieWassie

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
After 5 years with iPhones, I've switched to Android. I bought a Droid Ultra about a week ago. I brought it back because the battery life it horrendous, and the signal at my house is worse than my husband's Lumia 928. I wanted to exchange it for something else, but the salesman talked me into just trying another Ultra to see if there was something wrong with my first one. While I was waiting for the exchange, I discovered the LG G2. I was very impressed, but when I asked the salesman, he brushed it off and told me he's never sold one. I asked if he knew anything about it, and he told me no. After telling me he didn't know anything about it, he told me it probably gets bad service. Since then, I've read some really great reviews of the phone. I am seriously considering paying the restocking fee and exchanging my Droid for the G2. The only deal breaker for me would be signal reception. I originally went in to buy the Galaxy S4, but went with the Droid Ultra because the salesman told me it gets great reception. I like the Android OS and larger screen size, but the phone just isn't very exciting to me. The LG seems to have everything I'm looking for. Can anyone tell me their experience with signal reception on the G2? I've read a lot of bad things about Samsung's signal reception, but I can't find much on the G2. I found one site that gave it a 9/10 for reception, but I'd like to get some real people's opinions.

Thanks!
Cassie

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! I can't answer your question about LG's cell radios, but do you know if your Verizon reception at home is generally good? Was the iPhone that you previously used on Verizon?

As a side note, what a terrible sales rep. Sure, they're told to promote certain phones, but they should still be able to tell you some info about all of the phones, and specifically why they think it isn't as good of a choice.

CassieWassie

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the welcome! I live in a pretty rural area, so reception is never great. I had AT&T and Straight Talk before. Verizon seems to be much better than AT&T so far. I used to have no service at times with my iPhone and wouldn't receive all calls and texts. So far I always have service with my Droid (usually a bar, sometimes two). My husband gets better reception with his Lumia.

The sales rep was really nice, but I wish he wouldn't have pushed the Droid so much. He really only showed me the Droid and Galaxy S4. I usually do a lot of research before I buy anything, but I didn't this time. I guess I felt a little rushed. I didn't even know the G2 existed until I ventured into what seemed like the "unimportant phone corner".

Goingcarcrazy

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
Although I don't have the phone myself (yet), I have read many people consistently say the reception is better than the S4 by a mile and although isn't as good as the Moto Droids, its a very close 2nd.

Ken7

May 25, 2011
Visit site
After 5 years with iPhones, I've switched to Android. I bought a Droid Ultra about a week ago. I brought it back because the battery life it horrendous, and the signal at my house is worse than my husband's Lumia 928. I wanted to exchange it for something else, but the salesman talked me into just trying another Ultra to see if there was something wrong with my first one. While I was waiting for the exchange, I discovered the LG G2. I was very impressed, but when I asked the salesman, he brushed it off and told me he's never sold one. I asked if he knew anything about it, and he told me no. After telling me he didn't know anything about it, he told me it probably gets bad service. Since then, I've read some really great reviews of the phone. I am seriously considering paying the restocking fee and exchanging my Droid for the G2. The only deal breaker for me would be signal reception. I originally went in to buy the Galaxy S4, but went with the Droid Ultra because the salesman told me it gets great reception. I like the Android OS and larger screen size, but the phone just isn't very exciting to me. The LG seems to have everything I'm looking for. Can anyone tell me their experience with signal reception on the G2? I've read a lot of bad things about Samsung's signal reception, but I can't find much on the G2. I found one site that gave it a 9/10 for reception, but I'd like to get some real people's opinions.

Thanks!
Cassie

I just love how Verizon tries to steer people away from the G2. What a joke! To answer your question Cassie (my cat's name btw), yes, the signal reception is really excellent on the G2. In fact it's the best I've experienced. I've recently come from the HTC One, GS3 and the GS4 and the G2 beats them all without a question.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I just love how Verizon tries to steer people away from the G2. What a joke! To answer your question Cassie (my cat's name btw), yes, the signal reception is really excellent on the G2. In fact it's the best I've experienced. I've recently come from the HTC One, GS3 and the GS4 and the G2 beats them all without a question.

I think the real question, though, is how the G2 compares with Motorola phones, since Moto has always been famous for its cell radios.

CassieWassie

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the responses. I think I am going to switch to the G2 as long as the reception is comparable to the Ultra. I know that I'm not ever going to have great reception at my house unless Verizon puts up more towers (which they've actually put up quite a few since taking over Alltel. AT&T hasn't put up any since taking over Cellular One.... hence me switching carriers).

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the responses. I think I am going to switch to the G2 as long as the reception is comparable to the Ultra. I know that I'm not ever going to have great reception at my house unless Verizon puts up more towers (which they've actually put up quite a few since taking over Alltel. AT&T hasn't put up any since taking over Cellular One.... hence me switching carriers).

But AT&T just bought Alltel--hope that doesn't cause problems!

AT&T purchase of Alltel approved by the FCC | Android Central

patrick1229

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
The g2 has comparable service to my wife's iPhone 5 and way better service than the phone I came from (galaxy nexus) I too live in a very rural area, and my g2 gets service in all sorts of places my old phone did not. I'm on Verizon by the way.

bailman

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Alltel in Michigan was taken over by Verizon a while ago? Did they have cdma and gsm both, depending on geographic area?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

adrialk

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Motorola has the reputation for getting the best reception.

Try the Droid MAXX if you need the best battery life. You can get $100 off to bring the price down to $200 ... http://www.comcast.com/wireless.html

LG G2 seems to be getting good feedback, but I didn't like how complicated LG made the OS. I like the clean, near AOSP look of the Droid lineup.

conan1071

Jun 10, 2012
Visit site
My experience coming from an S4 on Verizon the g2 is just as bad with signal if not worse than the s4. I have dropped calls, had no service, and low signal, voice only, and the WiFi cuts in and out. The S4 was only slightly better except the WiFi never cut in and out. Miss my Maxx hd. Didn't have these issues. Going to return g2 for droid maxx this weekend BTW, I'm In the Chicago area which you would think would have minimal issues.

Posted via Android Central App

Ken7

May 25, 2011
Visit site

Try the Droid MAXX if you need the best battery life. You can get $100 off to bring the price down to $200 ... http://www.comcast.com/wireless.html

LG G2 seems to be getting good feedback, but I didn't like how complicated LG made the OS. I like the clean, near AOSP look of the Droid lineup.

I would have considered a Motorola, but their cameras are truly bad.

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
I went from the GNex to the G2. The GNex along with my wife's iPhone 5 only got 3G at the house but with the G2 I get 4G 95% of the time now. Plus it's stronger everywhere else that my old phone was.

Have also read in reviews that compared it to the Maxx that they were about the same in signal. And as far as the S4 the guy above is the only one I have seen day it was better then the G2. Everybody else I have read has said the G2 signal is way better.

Posted via Android Central App

CassieWassie

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site

We don't have Comcast where I live. I tried the link anyway, and it only gave me the option of iPhones, but they were not any cheaper than they are at the Verizon store. I can't justify spending another $100 just to get better battery life. The Motorola cameras aren't too great either. It's better than my iPhone 4 camera, but my husbands Lumia 928 blows the Ultra's camera away.

qisdtech

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
Here's my 2 cents on the G2 signal after 48 hours. It appears to be as good if not slightly better than Droid Maxx. Far better than GNEX. I live in rural west Texas where cell towers are 15-25 miles apart and the G2 holds onto the signal well so far.

stew930

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
I have had my G2 for over a week and I have found the signal strength to be great. It is as good as the Motorola Razr HD it replaced.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanran21