Knock off -Win vs Knock On -Lose. Who else?

xgman

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
Knock on hardly ever works the first time and is almost useless for me, whereas knock off works most of the time. Anyone else see this sort of thing? I'd take it back and try another but it's unlikely to be much different and then I'd have to spend hours setting up the phone again since (unlike Apple) LG/Android doesn't really have a backup instant clone situation for replacement phones.

xgman

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
Then maybe I have to exchange mine. Sometimes eight knocks to get any response form a sleeping phone. I think it has to do with the state of deeper sleep somehow.

Jgren

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
I noticed to get it to work the first time you have to tap in the center of the screen

Posted via Android Central App

Jeffk23

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
Knock on is center of screen only. Knock off is anywhere on an open part of the screen. With that being said, knock off works the first time every time. Knock on works about 70% of the time on the first try. Sometimes I have to knock 2 or 3 times to get started.

cw0974

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
Knock on is center of screen only. Knock off is anywhere on an open part of the screen. With that being said, knock off works the first time every time. Knock on works about 70% of the time on the first try. Sometimes I have to knock 2 or 3 times to get started.

Mine reacts similar to this. Usually it takes me around 2-3 times to get knock-on work, but it isn't something that annoys me much. It seems like it works better around the center of the phone.

stew930

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
Sometimes mine takes a second knock knock to respond. Weird thing is in a room with no lights on the knock knock typically doesn't work at all. I have to press the power button.

TrekkieMonster

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
I have to agree with the OP, though my phone doesn't seem to have the issue to the same extent. I never have a problem with Knock Off, but it not infrequently takes me multiple tries to get Knock On to work - even in the middle of the screen. Sometimes it works the first time - maybe about 70% of the time - but any problem I have is only with Knock On.

emmur0

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
Tapping the middle seems to work better than the sides. Sometimes I need 3 taps to get the screen to turn on. I never have a knock off problem.

Others have posted that a factory reset has helped but I haven't tried that.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk 4

Jeffk23

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
A short double "touch" rather than a short double "tap" will do the trick. It worked for me at least...

xgman

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
Funny, my knocks seem to respond better at the top of the screen. I really think it is a sleep problem more than the knock itself since knock off works fine 99% of the time. I'm hoping they tune this in an update soon.

tomatosouplabs

Sep 15, 2013
Visit site
This may or may not be interesting but when I first went into verizon to get the G2, an LG rep was there showing off his demo G2 phone that he personally used for the last month. I tried knock-on and it didn't work first time. He said you just have to learn what works best (in terms of timing and how hard you hit it) and then I won't have the problem anymore. I should have asked him to show me it working multiple times for himself. ;) He did say though that I hit it too hard, it's not like knocking on a door.

derailedbus

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site
I really think mine is damaged. It will not knock on after it has been sleeping for say, an hour or so, no matter where, how hard, or how many times I tap. A couple times, after many attempts, I squeezed the case in a couple spots, then tapped and it worked. After being woken up, however, it works nearly every time, which made it impossible to replicate the problem when I took it back to BestBuy.

Bwangster12

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
I was sort of kicking myself when I realized it... but I noticed that Knock off wasn't working for me because I had put the Google Now widget on my homescreen and although I was tapping on an "empty space" the Google Now widget was extended down into that area, in the event it had content it needed to show. Tapping an area where you know you don't have a widget extending will def work.

Stanley Kubrick

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
I notice that when I knock ON that the notification light flashes white. I also read "somewhere" that if you block the proximity sensor that knock on will not work. So when my phone has been sleeping for some time I find that knocking near the top, close to the proximity sensor it tends to work a little better. Otherwise I love the phone.