Car Charger

droid5

May 5, 2012
Visit site
Bought a new car charger that outputs 2.1 amps and when I connect to the G2 it says slow charging. It's a usb charger with two ports, one for 2.1 the other 1 amp. If I use my home charger cable connected to the charger it works fine. Any suggestions besides using my home cable?

Adamsberg

Sep 26, 2013
Visit site
So you are saying its the cable because I have a motorola rapid charger that does the same thing, slow charging.
Has the Motorola charger the same high output amperage as your home charger (LG charger which came with your phone)?
If not then that's what caused slow charging.

Some explanation.
Fast charging is caused by a mod of a chargers USB output (jumpered data pins).
Most of generic chargers haven't this mod.
That charge-only cable has the mod in its microUSB connector.

droid5

May 5, 2012
Visit site
Has the Motorola charger the same high output amperage as your home charger (LG charger which came with your phone)?
If not then that's what caused slow charging.

Some explanation.
Fast charging is caused by a mod of a chargers USB output (jumpered data pins).
Most of generic chargers haven't this mod.
That charge-only cable has the mod in its microUSB connector.

Thanks maybe I'll give it a try. Seems that what's holding it back

lakaw

May 5, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone here use the Verizon Vehicle Charger with Dual Output, Part#: MICRDUALVPC-F?

Website says:
"Powerful & Efficient - 5v/2A output from outlet to rapidly charge your device."

If you use this with your G2, can you confirm it will fast charge? Will it fast charge from both USB outputs? After those questions, I am concerned with it's build quality. Several reviews mentioned it only worked for a few months, then it had to be exchanged.

VideoEngineerAJS

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Anyone else have problems charging via car charger?

No, but I've noticed that the cables are as much of an issue as the charger itself. Before I got my G2 I noticed how slow my Galaxy Nexus would charge in the car (never said anything about slow charging) even though I had a 2A charger (just from Five Below). So I switched the cable and all of the sudden it charged as I would expect a 2A charger to charge. I don't have any issue with the same charger and cable charging my G2.

spgiva

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site
I am using this this charger and it charges at a regular speed.

I have an old HTC microUSB charger at home that slow charges my phone. My LG charger and the car charger are the only 2 cables I have that charge my phone at regular speed. At "slow charge" speed it takes about 9 hours to fully charge the phone.
-spg

lakaw

May 5, 2011
Visit site
I am using this this charger and it charges at a regular speed.

I have an old HTC microUSB charger at home that slow charges my phone. My LG charger and the car charger are the only 2 cables I have that charge my phone at regular speed. At "slow charge" speed it takes about 9 hours to fully charge the phone.
-spg

Thanks for the confirmation. Can you also confirm if the second USB will charge at the normal rate? How long have you had this charger?

lakaw

May 5, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone here use the Verizon Vehicle Charger with Dual Output, Part#: MICRDUALVPC-F?

Website says:
"Powerful & Efficient - 5v/2A output from outlet to rapidly charge your device."

If you use this with your G2, can you confirm it will fast charge? Will it fast charge from both USB outputs? After those questions, I am concerned with it's build quality. Several reviews mentioned it only worked for a few months, then it had to be exchanged.

Bought this car charger and have verified the USB output does charge at the normal rate as well.

dnargsiefil

Jan 9, 2012
Visit site
To me it looks like the issue is the cable which comes with the LG G2. When I use the cable I can use any wall plug and it will charge the phone normally as soon as I use a different cable, even with the original LG G2 wall plug it says "slow charging". That really is a major flaw. I can understand if they require the wall plug, because of a certain A output requirement, but making it USB cable dependent makes not much sense, only in an Apple kind of way. :)

bespinct

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
To me it looks like the issue is the cable which comes with the LG G2. When I use the cable I can use any wall plug and it will charge the phone normally as soon as I use a different cable, even with the original LG G2 wall plug it says "slow charging". That really is a major flaw. I can understand if they require the wall plug, because of a certain A output requirement, but making it USB cable dependent makes not much sense, only in an Apple kind of way. :)

I agree with sentiment, but it's not LGs fault. The same would occur on my DNA. I think it's a "When a standard isn't a standard" type thing. Back when I had Droid 2 (or maybe Fascinate or Charge), I noticed that I couldn't use any cables other than what came with the phone to get USB Debugging enabled. Definitely aggravating when one of the benefits is supposed to be universal compatibility.

ilhe1s

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site

Website says:

I own it and it does fast charge my G2. I have not tried the additional USB port though. Love the light on the end.

I also own the wall version. EMICUSBDTVL-F

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samyblaze