Issues with static, crackles, pops, and squeals during calls

tomatosouplabs

Sep 15, 2013
Visit site
Maybe problem is simply a signal integrity type of issue that doesn't have to do with the air interface or network equipment. Maybe there's a defect in the data path in the phone somewhere between the radio and the voice decoder. All these sounds seem like it's artifacts from decoding errors, like I've seen happen with MPEG audio getting data from an over the air source when there's bad or dropped data (and it's not properly muted).

I posted a very negative score for the Moto X on verizon reviews and they posted it next day. Ironically it was due to the horrible call quality issue. I also noted some things I didn't like that I later realized I could work around so it wasn't so bad. If you look hard enough based on what I said here you may find my review on their site now. ;)

I decided though to wait for a Moto X assuming Verizon/Motorola gets off their friggin @sses (can I say that on here?) and release the OTA update to fix the microphone. I see no light at the end of the tunnel yet for LG for the G2 so I gave up on it.

I thought AT&T people had this problem on the G2 also but maybe I imagined it, I can't find posts to that effect that I thought I saw a while back.

Another observation I made is the 3G voice signal level in dBm is about 5-10 dBm worse than my galaxy S. I was not happy with the signal strength I was getting with the G2 except in highly strong areas where it maxed out around low -60's as my galaxy did.

Last edited:

jjmmhh

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
Never mind. get*human to the rescue!

So, I called tech support again and, again, they offered to swap the phone. They also called LG because, apparently, they (VZW) have heard very little about this beyond that it may have been brought to LG's attention. LG's response was to offer to repair my phone under warranty. Ummm... no.

I was then passed up to the rep's supervisor who told me that she has heard that LG is working on it but there's no ETR at this time.

bills742

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Never mind. get*human to the rescue!

So, I called tech support again and, again, they offered to swap the phone. They also called LG because, apparently, they (VZW) have heard very little about this beyond that it may have been brought to LG's attention. LG's response was to offer to repair my phone under warranty. Ummm... no.

I was then passed up to the rep's supervisor who told me that she has heard that LG is working on it but there's no ETR at this time.

Wonder if we can get actual confirmation of this from LG instead of hearing it through Verizon. Does anyone know how to contact LG directly?

I just got off the phone with verizon tech support and they offered to replace my device as well (still under 14 days anyways). Not sure if it's worth getting a new one since it'll likely have the same problem.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk 4

bills742

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Gave LG a call and they told me it could be my phone number not playing nice with the phone. Asked him if swapping SIMs could work, he said yea. I called Verizon and activated the SIM from my s4 and put it in the G2. Maybe it's placebo right now but I heard maybe 1 crackle during a phone conversation when before I would hear a lot more during the same duration of the call. I'll keep testing and if you guys have any old SIMs lying around, it might be worth a shot.

bills742

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
I've been through 3 of them...

Were they all the ones that came with the G2's? If so, get a different one if you have one and try. Just made another call and didn't hear any noises. If you have someone else you know who would let you temporarily swap SIMs for testing purpose, that would also test if it's something with your number not playing nicely with the phone for whatever reason.

mviars

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I too have had the problem for a while now and at times it is too hard to even understand what the other person is saying. What I have noticed is that in some areas of town it seems to work fine and at others like at my work it is really bad. I am assuming they are different cell towers.

jjmmhh

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
Reading your reply made me realize that I've actually been through 4 of them. When I took my first phone in they swapped the SIM card first; when that didn't fix it they swapped the phone. SO, that was 2 SIM cards plus the 2 that came in the other two G2s that I got.

jjmmhh

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
I too have had the problem for a while now and at times it is too hard to even understand what the other person is saying. What I have noticed is that in some areas of town it seems to work fine and at others like at my work it is really bad. I am assuming they are different cell towers.

Maybe your issue will just turn out to be a tower thing. Lucky you!

I've got a 30 mile commute, plus the mileage from other errands that I've run over the last 3 weeks. so I hit a bunch of different towers. Same story, every call, every day...

Ken7

May 25, 2011
Visit site
If it is a tower(s) related issue, how quickly was the issue solved with other new phones?

I don't recall since I never had a phone with the issues and probably wasn't following it all that closely.

I've seen instances where the same guy has two totally different branded phones and has the same poor voice quality. I think someone in this thread had the same situation. It certainly casts some doubts on how some towers are handling some new phones...especially when most people aren't having the issue.

I just got back from a business trip and was in 3 different states with no call quality issues. But I bet if I went to the locations you guys are having trouble, I'd begin having problems. Who knows, maybe I'm wrong and it's a batch of bad phones. But let's face it, the majority of owners are having none of these issues and I can't recall one review where it was mentioned.

The mystery deepens.

bills742

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Maybe your issue will just turn out to be a tower thing. Lucky you!

I've got a 30 mile commute, plus the mileage from other errands that I've run over the last 3 weeks. so I hit a bunch of different towers. Same story, every call, every day...

Try giving LG a call and see what they tell you. There was basically no hold time so it shouldn't take you too long.

Greymire

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
Interesting. Mine has better quality than any phone I have owned. But I am sharing because you mentioned SIM Cards. The card that came with the G2 would not activate. Period. I turned on the phone and it just sat there. I put my old Galaxy Nexus SIM Card in and it works wonderful. I was also wondering if your issues might have to do with a faulty noise canceling circuit. Did you all try turning it off and in to see if there is a difference?

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk now Free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol